Cheap luggage bites

Old June 18th, 2005, 05:22 AM
spamfree

Default Cheap luggage bites

While departing a train in Bamberg, I followed an American couple
with a 30" (so it looked) rectangular wheeled bag. The bag looked
cheap, like a bag bought at Walmart. It must have been their first
trip to Europe as they were unfamiliar with trains. The guy attempted
to take the bag out of the train by extending the handle and dragging
it across the gap. I thought this was risky, as the bag could catch in
the gap, and besides it is easier to use the handle (not the extended
one, the one for carrying) to carry the bag from the train. However,
by looking at the woman, I'll bet the bag weighed a lot. As the guy
dragged the bag out of the train, the handle (the top part) shattered,
leaving him with two sharp sticks. I thought I'd mention this story to
show the people who buy cheap bags that quality has a value beyond
money. These people were going to have a difficult time moving their
bag on their vacation, and judging from their comments, this was the
start of their vacation.

Pete

Old June 18th, 2005, 07:27 AM

I went thru three back packs in 10 months while in Europe. I also met a
girl who had her bag (not the content) stolen! She had to go around
with a garbage bag like on the Amazing race.

I also met a couple of girls who went around with their empty back
packs all day because they were afraid that they would be stolen at
their hotel!

Dublin is paradise for back pack shopping . I'm sure conventional
luggage isn't that hard to find in Germany.

You can buy cheap luggage for Can$20 (10Euro) at the local Walmart. For
that price, you can buy a lot of luggage and still be ahead.

Sam

Old June 18th, 2005, 10:30 AM
mrtravel

spamfree wrote:
[...]

So they wouldn't have a difficult time moving their stuff for the
remainder of the trip, I assume they simply bought a new bag in Hamburg
or elsewhere.

Old June 18th, 2005, 10:59 AM
nightjar

"spamfree" wrote in message
news
While departing a train in Bamberg, I followed an American couple
with a 30" (so it looked) rectangular wheeled bag. The bag looked
cheap, like a bag bought at Walmart. It must have been their first
trip to Europe as they were unfamiliar with trains. The guy attempted
to take the bag out of the train by extending the handle and dragging
it across the gap. I thought this was risky, as the bag could catch in
the gap, and besides it is easier to use the handle (not the extended
one, the one for carrying) to carry the bag from the train. However,
by looking at the woman, I'll bet the bag weighed a lot. As the guy
dragged the bag out of the train, the handle (the top part) shattered,
leaving him with two sharp sticks. I thought I'd mention this story to
show the people who buy cheap bags that quality has a value beyond
money.

Experienced travellers know that cheap luggage is far less likely to be
broken, particularly into when passing through airport baggage handling. A
far more important lesson from this story is to pack light.

Colin Bignell

Old June 18th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Donald Newcomb

"spamfree" wrote in message
news
I thought I'd mention this story to
show the people who buy cheap bags that quality has a value beyond
money. These people were going to have a difficult time moving their
bag on their vacation, and judging from their comments, this was the
start of their vacation.

Once upon a time, a friend recommended rolling luggage from a company that
sells clothing by mail order adds in the back of magazines. We decided to
give it a try and bought two for $60/pr with a "satisfaction or your money
back" guarantee. Well, we dragged these bags all over Spain and Portugal. By
the time we got home the cloth was ripped, wheels broken, zippers
mistracked, etc. I mean these things were cheap. In essense they were made
of cloth over cardboard. Anyway, we got home, the boxes they came in were
still in the den. We packed them up and sent them back to the place we
bought them asking for our money back. In a few weeks we got a check and
that was the end of that. Lesson learned. Those were "one trippers".

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Old June 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM
David Bennetts

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"spamfree" wrote in message
news Experienced travellers know that cheap luggage is far less likely to be
broken, particularly into when passing through airport baggage handling. A
far more important lesson from this story is to pack light.

Colin Bignell

I'd also suggest that it's far less likely to be broken into. An anecdote
was given by an Australian travel writer some time ago before we got
paranoid about unattended luggage. A battered "cardboard" suitcase, with a
nametag such as A Singh, Bombay could be confidently left anywhere in a
railway station or airport terminal without any thief showing the slightest
interest in it.

There's obviously a happy medium in how much you pay for luggage of
acceptable quality. And packing light will be both a lot easier on yourself
and your cases, backpacks or whatever.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old June 18th, 2005, 02:38 PM
spamfree

Experienced travellers know that cheap luggage is far less likely to
be broken, particularly into when passing through airport baggage
handling. A far more important lesson from this story is to pack light.

Did you transpose the "into" in your post, meaning to say that cheap
luggage is less likely to be broken into by airport baggage handlers?
I might agree with you on that. However, I have seen plenty of
cheap soft bags come out of airport conveyors with their seams
ripped open and the contents spilled on the conveyor, ruining some
of the clothes in the process. Those "experienced travelers" lost
quite a bit due to their cheap bags.

Pete

Old June 18th, 2005, 03:58 PM
irwell

"spamfree" wrote in message
[...]

We have a ratty looking old wheelie that nobody

on the carousel touches, however it is sturdy and'
has given quite a few years of service.
The one thing not to skimp on is an umbrella,
a well made one is worth its weight in gold
in heavy rain.
Old June 18th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Donald Newcomb wrote:
"spamfree" wrote in message
news
[...]

As far as I have been able to tell the quality of luggage has little
relation to the price. A few years ago I bought one of those patch
leather sets. It turned out to be quite durable and well made which is
unusual for sets. I have seen some expensive "designer" sets which
appeared to have a mostly cardboard construction. You simply have to
look at details like wheels and handles and skin to see what you are
buying. Cheap can come with a high price tag for the name.