Insect Bites

Old November 30th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Gary Webster

Default Insect Bites

This is a little O/T, but we just got back from our 4th trip to Costa Rica.
My husband and I got eaten alive by bugs, the other couple hardly got
bitten. Why? What can we do to avoid this happening again?
We all used the same insect repellant with DEETS.
Thanks for your input.
Pura Vida,

Old November 30th, 2003, 05:06 PM

Ignoring his agents wishes,"Gary Webster"
flung open the hotel room door and announced to the gathering crowd:

This is a little O/T, but we just got back from our 4th trip to Costa Rica.
My husband and I got eaten alive by bugs, the other couple hardly got
bitten. Why? What can we do to avoid this happening again?
We all used the same insect repellant with DEETS.
Thanks for your input.
Pura Vida,

try going to a military surplus store and buy the military issue DEET.
Anything else is just watered down with propellants, water and
fragrance. There's a *big* difference.

Also did you wear any cologne or perfumes? Many times biting insects,
especially mosquitos are attracted by your deodorant soap, aftershave,
perfume or underarm deodorant you're using. If the other couple are
friends of yours, ask what type of soap, deodorant, etc they used.
Since both you and your SO were both bitten, I suspect it's something
common between just you two.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's
safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Unknown

Remove "die spammers" to email
Old November 30th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Robert \Doc\ Adelman, C.I.D.

Default Insect Bites, Not OT to me!

"Gary Webster" scratched:
This is a little O/T, but we just got back from our 4th trip to Costa

Rica.
My husband and I got eaten alive by bugs, the other couple hardly got
bitten. Why? What can we do to avoid this happening again?
We all used the same insect repellant with DEETS.
Thanks for your input.

All insect repellant with DEET is of the same usefulness. The key is the
varying percentages of DEET. On store shelves like MallWart it runs between
23 to 30% give or take. Keep applying it, and it doesn't really matter.

At camping and army surplus stores, you may find insect repellant packaged
in olive drab containers, giving the suggestion that they are real GI
MilSpec items, but most are not. Nor- does it matter.

Some of these have materials in them that will melt plastics including watch
crystals and thermal mugs. It will be an annoying surprise the first time it
happens.

Find the application method that works for you, as well as the container
size. It doesn't work unless you use it (and therefore- have it on your
person!).

spray aerosol can
pump atomizer
cream tube
liquid squirt bottle

Remember- airlines will rarely allow you to carry aerosol, some won't let
you pack flammable aerosols- most of these are!

I am assuming you are talking about bites from sand fleas, aka: no-see-ums,
sand fleas, garipitas, etc.

Stay away from decaying vegetable matter- not only intertidal wash zones
along beaches and tree roots, but near any wooden structure including sun
decks that might have trapped leaves and dirt between the slats... all of
them!

This is especially important between the hours of 4 and 6:30 p.m. give or
take. That's when the bugs are most active.

In other countries, DDT spray is placed in your room for your use. We gently
spray the light bed cover with it and then an hour later, remove the
bedspread and hit the sack. Kills anything that may be lurking.

Spray completely and often, spray your head and scalp, ankles, torso- all of
it!

Antidotes? WallMart equate brand Benadryl capsules and lotions. Get 'em here
while you can- don't expect that you'll find it down South! Same with insect
spray.

Check your Target and Walmart stores right now- we saw cans of 23-30%
selling for 3 for a dollar on clearance last night.

We stocked up!

Doc.

Old December 1st, 2003, 12:34 PM
Keith

Yea, the 25-30% figure is good. Any higher concentration is just a waste. I
buy 100% DEET, then thin it 3:1 with rubbing alcohol and it makes a great
spray. Doesn't leave you oily or sticky, but works great. You'll have to
reapply any repellant occasionally depending on how much you sweat, time in
the water swimming, etc.

"Gary Webster" scratched:

Old December 1st, 2003, 11:02 PM
Robert \Doc\ Adelman, C.I.D.

"Keith" wrote in I
buy 100% DEET, then thin it 3:1 with rubbing alcohol and it makes a great
spray

What do you spray it with? Every pump bottle or sprayer that I've tried that
with suffered a melt down after a few days of use.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 03:42 AM
Jere Lull

Robert "Doc" Adelman, C.I.D. wrote:

"Keith" wrote in I

buy 100% DEET, then thin it 3:1 with rubbing alcohol and it makes a great
spray

What do you spray it with? Every pump bottle or sprayer that I've tried that
with suffered a melt down after a few days of use.

We use Cutter's 100%. A single "dot" spread over an ankle or wrist does
the job for us. We sail the Chesapeake 60-80 days a year, too often in
the company of mosquitoes that love the taste of my lovely lady, but the
little bottle still lasts us a year or so.

--
Jere Lull

Old December 2nd, 2003, 10:03 AM
Keith

Actually, the DEET comes in a spray bottle. I dilute it and keep it in
another container, and just refil the spray bottle. The brand name is Repel
100, WPC brands, inc. 800-558-6614.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 05:18 PM
Chuck

"Gary Webster" wrote in message
link.net...
This is a little O/T, but we just got back from our 4th trip to Costa

Rica.
My husband and I got eaten alive by bugs, the other couple hardly got
bitten. Why? What can we do to avoid this happening again?
We all used the same insect repellant with DEETS.
Thanks for your input.
Pura Vida,

It's strange how they like some people and not others. In Cuba my wife gets
eaten while I remain relatively untouched. In Jamaica the exact opposite is
true. Maybe it has something to do with them liking something in the blood
that's unfamiliar to them since the natives don't seem overly bothered in
either location.

Old December 7th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Ken Tough

Robert "Doc" Adelman, C.I.D. wrote:

All insect repellant with DEET is of the same usefulness. The key is the
varying percentages of DEET. On store shelves like MallWart it runs between
23 to 30% give or take. Keep applying it, and it doesn't really matter.

Some of these have materials in them that will melt plastics including watch
crystals and thermal mugs. It will be an annoying surprise the first time it
happens.

(that would be DEET).

In other countries, DDT spray is placed in your room for your use. We gently
spray the light bed cover with it and then an hour later, remove the
bedspread and hit the sack. Kills anything that may be lurking.

Interesting. Which countries give you DDT spray?

--
Ken Tough