the Csango country: a black hole in the guidebooks

Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default the Csango country: a black hole in the guidebooks

I have been trying to find out something about the Csango region of
Romania (a small part of northern Moldavia which has been ethnically
Hungarian since the 18th century and still preserves some archaic
features of Hungarian culture, in particular some interesting music).
It seems to be unknown to any recent guidebook. Anybody know a source
that describes it properly, with features named in both Hungarian and
Romanian?

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dusty Furtile Morrocan

On the particular moment of Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:47:41 +0000 in
relation to Mary's disappointingly immaculate rumpy pumpy, Jack Campin
- bogus address put forth:

I have been trying to find out something about the Csango region of
Romania (a small part of northern Moldavia which has been ethnically
Hungarian since the 18th century and still preserves some archaic
features of Hungarian culture, in particular some interesting music).
It seems to be unknown to any recent guidebook. Anybody know a source
that describes it properly, with features named in both Hungarian and
Romanian?

Although the region fascinates me, I know nothing about it. Have you
checked out the Romanian newsgroups?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

I have been trying to find out something about the Csango region of
Romania (a small part of northern Moldavia which has been ethnically
Hungarian since the 18th century and still preserves some archaic
features of Hungarian culture, in particular some interesting music).
It seems to be unknown to any recent guidebook. Anybody know a source
that describes it properly, with features named in both Hungarian and
Romanian?

Although the region fascinates me, I know nothing about it. Have you
checked out the Romanian newsgroups?

I'm not *that* keen to start a fight.

There's a fair bit of info at http://www.tanchaz.hu (for the music and
dance camps I was thinking of going to) and http://www.csango.ro , and
stuff on YouTube (good source for Romanian nationalist raving), but not
the basic geographic data I was looking for - which villages are in the
Csango area, what their names are in both Hungarian and Romanian, and
how to travel around.

I think what I might be looking for is a detailed travel book by some
English eccentric who spent a year wandering round it with a donkey in
the 1930s describing all the peasant girls he bonked. You doubtless
know the genre.

I see National Geographic covered it in June 2005. The full article is
subscription-only so I'll look for a paper copy.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
[...]

Here are a few more links about the Csángós / Ceangai which I've found:-

http://www.hi.is/~maurizio/csango/englishnew.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cs%C3%A1ng%C3%B3

http://horinca.blogspot.com/2007/08/...ian-csngs.html

www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/tanczos/tanczos.pdf

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...Go.x=12&Go.y=9

http://www.mek.oszk.hu/02700/02790/html/index.html

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...aa8& t=481828

http://www.ceangai.ro/ (Romanian)

Gerry

Old February 26th, 2008, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Király[_1_]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
I see National Geographic covered it in June 2005. The full article is
subscription-only so I'll look for a paper copy.

I read that article recently; it was quite interesting. Check your
local library for it.

The origins of the Csángó people are controversial. Not all of them
speak Hungarian. Many speak Romanian and have Romanian names. What
unites them is their religion - all Roman Catholic, with some
traditional beliefs thrown in there as well. Some historias claim that
at least some Csángós are not Hungarians at all, but are descended from
Romanians, who were converted to Roman Catholicism by Hungarian
missionaries.

Their traditional folk music is distinct from Magyar and Romanian
folk music. Links have been made by musicologists between Csángó music
and traditional music heard today in Mongolia.

My Budapest-born wife says that no other Hungarians she has ever heard
speak like the Csángó. They apparently have a distinctive accent that
resembles medieval Hungarian.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.