What countries have the best exchange rate for the dollar?

Old September 28th, 2003, 10:46 PM
Yaofeng

Default What countries have the best exchange rate for the dollar?

"King" wrote in message link.net...
Hi,
I'm planning on traveling the world over the next year.....
One of my criteria is to travel to countries that have a good exchange rate
with the US dollar. That way I can get more for my dollar.
Anyone know a website where I can find this info? I've searched
unsuccessfully thru google.
Obviously I didn't put in the right words. No use going somewhere where my
money doesn't go very far (obviously everyone is different......this is a
matter of opinion).
Thanks
Mike

If anything, a up to date list of per capita income of all contries in
the world should give you a good idea how far your money goes. With
that in mind, you should find good bragains in China, south-east Asia,
Latin and south America.
Old September 28th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Eric Edwards

On 28 Sep 2003 14:46:32 -0700, Yaofeng wrote:
If anything, a up to date list of per capita income of all contries in
the world should give you a good idea how far your money goes. With
that in mind, you should find good bragains in China, south-east Asia,
Latin and south America.

This probably only works well in countries with similar economies. For
an example of where this fails, and badly, compare Kenya, South Africa,
and Malaysia: By per capita income, you might think that Kenya would be
dirt cheap compared to South Africa. Malaysia would be slightly
cheaper than South Africa.

Actually, Kenya, with barely more than 10% of South Africa's per capita
income, is the most expensive. Malaysia is a substantially cheaper than
South Africa, despite similar income levels.

--
Use the From: header. Sending mail to
or
Old September 29th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Miguel Cruz

Yaofeng wrote:
If anything, a up to date list of per capita income of all contries in
the world should give you a good idea how far your money goes.

I don't think that holds up. Africa has most of the world's poorest
countries and it is also fairly expensive to travel in.

From cheap to expensive, leaving out those I haven't spent enough time in to
make sensible judgments about, I'd think it would be roughly:

Southeast Asia
South Asia
Middle East
Eastern Europe
Australia/NZ
Africa
Central America
Caribbean
Western Europe/US/Japan

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 29th, 2003, 09:20 AM
Eric Edwards

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:11:09 GMT, James Blanford wrote:
In article ,
(Eric Edwards) writes:
This probably only works well in countries with similar economies. For
an example of where this fails, and badly, compare Kenya, South Africa,
and Malaysia: By per capita income, you might think that Kenya would be
dirt cheap compared to South Africa. Malaysia would be slightly
cheaper than South Africa.

Actually, Kenya, with barely more than 10% of South Africa's per capita
income, is the most expensive. Malaysia is a substantially cheaper than
South Africa, despite similar income levels.

That fits with my vague impressions based on reading and discussions,
but where did you (does one) get such information?

These are places that I have personally visited within the last 2 years.
Before you travel, guide books are probably your best reference. Leaf
through the book at a library or bookstore and check the prices for
accomodation, transport, and special activities. Even a book a couple
of years old will usually be accurate enough for a ball park estimate.
Guide books often list prices for restaurants as well. However, I've
never seen any detailed or accurate enough to be of any use toward
estimating food costs.

Some guides are better than others for estimating costs. Bradt and
Rough Guides are pretty worthless. They have their strengths, but
estimating costs is not one of them. Lonely Planet and Let's Go do
well.

Sometimes you can find information online. The hostel I stayed at in
Pretoria has a web site. I used that to refresh my memory of
accommodation costs in South Africa.

Old September 29th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Gerry Scott-Moore

In article , Eric Edwards
wrote:

[...]

Additionally you can get the actual currency exchange rates he

http://www.exchangerate.com/

--
///---
Old September 29th, 2003, 08:27 PM
Peter L

"Yaofeng" wrote in message
om...
"King" wrote in message

[...]

Per capita income and what travelers will pay are not necessarily
correlated.