Vienna or Munich?

Old March 8th, 2006, 06:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Vienna or Munich?

Thinking about seeing Austria in May. Airfares seem to be crazy from Chicago
to Vienna...like around $849 or more. From my research, I can save about
$50.00 a ticket if I fly into Munich. Since I want to see most of Austria,
this won't inconvience me. From MS Mappoint, it seems that it's only a
couple of hours to Salzburg, which would be a great start to a trip.

Has anyone flown into Munich to save money on airfare to Austria? Also, how
is the drive from Munich into Austria?

Does anyone have any advice on how to save money on airfare???

All your help is greatly appreciated!

Old March 8th, 2006, 06:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

I would try to find a low cost airline..
have a look at www.eurofly.com that flies to Bologna Italy
then you can take a low cost airline to Bratislava Airport..
pls note that in Europe there are a lot of low cost airlines that fly for
as little as 9 eur plus tax.
have a look at

www.megaflieger.de

Old March 8th, 2006, 07:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Frank wrote:
Thinking about seeing Austria in May. Airfares seem to be crazy from Chicago
to Vienna...like around $849 or more. From my research, I can save about
$50.00 a ticket if I fly into Munich. Since I want to see most of Austria,
this won't inconvience me. From MS Mappoint, it seems that it's only a
couple of hours to Salzburg, which would be a great start to a trip.

Has anyone flown into Munich to save money on airfare to Austria? Also, how
is the drive from Munich into Austria?

It's highway all the way to the border at Salzburg. There's a lot of
traffic round Munich. Be sure to get the vignette for the highway before
you enter Austria, the Austrian police are very strict and the fines are
painful. See
http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/ov...ountry=Austria

T-

Old March 8th, 2006, 07:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Tom Peel :

Be sure to get the vignette for the highway before
you enter Austria,

....or at the border itself. You can buy them there.
--
Tim C.
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to "Frank" :

Thinking about seeing Austria in May. Airfares seem to be crazy from Chicago
to Vienna...like around $849 or more. From my research, I can save about
$50.00 a ticket if I fly into Munich. Since I want to see most of Austria,
this won't inconvience me. From MS Mappoint, it seems that it's only a
couple of hours to Salzburg, which would be a great start to a trip.

Has anyone flown into Munich to save money on airfare to Austria? Also, how
is the drive from Munich into Austria?

Does anyone have any advice on how to save money on airfare???

All your help is greatly appreciated!

Consider a cheaper flight into the UK then bucket-air to Vienna/Bratislava,
Salzburg, Linz or Graz with Ryanair etc.
--
Tim C.
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Frank wrote:
how
is the drive from Munich into Austria?

It's a short distanceto Salzburg, all autobahn. If you haven't seen
Ludwig II's Herrenchiemsee Palace, his version of Versailles, stop
there on the way. It is on an island in the Chiemsee.

Does anyone have any advice on how to save money on airfare???

You could try to fly into London and then continue on Ryanair from
London Stansted to Salzburg. However, it then would be wise to stay
overnight twice in London to better ensure your not being penalized for
missing a flight due to the operation of the other airline as this is
not bookable on one ticket.

George

Old March 8th, 2006, 07:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Why sit in a tin box on motorways , there are perfectly good train and
bus services from munich to salzburg and throughout austria. see life
stress free, let the train take the strain..
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
http://www.oebb.at/vip8/oebb/en/index.jsp
With a bayern ticket ( day ticket 5 people can travel from Munich to
Salzburg for around 25 euro total - thats a deal)
Then rail passes are available + eurorail for non eu visitors.

Old March 8th, 2006, 09:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Tim C. wrote:
Following up to Tom Peel :

Be sure to get the vignette for the highway before
you enter Austria,

...or at the border itself. You can buy them there.
--
Tim C.

A subtle distinction. The point is that, the moment his front wheels
cross the border on the Autobahn and he hasn't got a vignette, he will
be fined.
T.
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Tom Peel :

Tim C. wrote:
Following up to Tom Peel :

Be sure to get the vignette for the highway before
you enter Austria,

...or at the border itself. You can buy them there.
--
Tim C.

A subtle distinction. The point is that, the moment his front wheels
cross the border on the Autobahn and he hasn't got a vignette, he will
be fined.

It's not quite as bad as that. But I was spitting hairs :-)
--
Tim C.
Old March 8th, 2006, 10:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Tim C. wrote:
Especially as driving and parking in Vienna is awful.

When we visited 15 years ago, we stayed there twice on the trip. The
first time was OK because it was on a street by the canal and easily
accessable. The next time was hell. All the streets within central
Vienna within the ring road were one way, and almost all leading out.
It was literally a maze of one way streets with only one possible way
to reach your destination, and our map didn't always have the correct
one way street directions all the time. I would have one crack at
getting to the hotel, make a wrong guess at a corner and be forced out
onto the ring road, and have to circle the long ring road for another
crack at it. On the third effort I said the hell with it and backed up
two blocks on a one way street as I then could see the hotel and I
wasn't about to make another ineffective circle. Parking for the hotel
was less than a block away but the street was blocked ba a wall with a
doorway in it. Luckily someone from the hotel rode with me to guide me
to the parking spot, and he had me driving short distances the wrong
way on one way streets. To go less than 100 meters, we had to drive at
least six to eight blocks.

Therefore, if driving a car to a central Vienna hotel location, have
them give you as detailed instructions as they can.

George