Heathrow to Gatwick / Luton etc

Old February 28th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Default Heathrow to Gatwick / Luton etc

Alan Harrison wrote:

"DFN" wrote in message

I looked into openjet.com and found flights from Luton to Venice for

around

$170 round trip. I can also get tickets from Dulles to London for about
$350.
Now the cheapest flight to Venice from DC I have been able to find is
$1,600. So we have tentaively decided that some inconvenience is acceptable
to save roughly $3,000 for my family.

It might, however, be possible to find a cheaper onward flight from Heathrow
itself. I'm not so sure about Venice, but, in addition to the Prague flight
I mentioned earlier, I have found flights from H'row to Milan last year and
this which worked out cheaper than the flight I took from Stansted in 2002
with a low-cost airline.

Alan Harrison

You are correct. A cursory search on Travelocity shows fares from 110 to
200+. A date specific search for late March gives a fare of $186 on
Alitalia thru Milan. Since it leaves at 5:20 pm that would leave a wait
in Heathrow but still a savings over the transfer cost.

Strangely there is an Air France connection that is $676 if booked on
Delta and $792 on Air France. Really strangely, if I search with
multiple connections the fare is $614 on Air France and $742 on Delta
code share. FFM

Old February 29th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Lil

DFN,

As someone who has inadvertantly booked a flight landing at Heathrow,
and a connecting flight out of Gatwick, I would strongly advise you
think carefully before you do it. The whole itinery was supposed to
have been only 12 or 14 hours from beginning to end, but it ended up
being 22 hours. If you decided to do it, I would make sure you have a
cell phone or a laptop that you can hook up to your cell phone so that
you can book alternate flights to your destination at Heathrow in the
event that you are temporarily stuck at Heathrow because you've missed
your connecting flight. I would also buy flight insurance.

Good luck!

Lil

"DFN" wrote in message ...
We are looking into a flight into Heathrow and taking another flight out one
of London's three other airports. We aren't certain which one we will be
using, it will depend on distance and time it would take to reach it.
How far are the airports from Heathrow?
Is there bus or train connection to them?
Do they accommodating with luggage?
How much does it cost?
Are there any non-stop modes of transportation (other than taxis)?
Are the buses affected substantially by traffic?
Thanks.

Old February 29th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Paul Clifford

(Lil) wrote in message . com...
DFN,

As someone who has inadvertantly booked a flight landing at Heathrow,
and a connecting flight out of Gatwick, I would strongly advise you
think carefully before you do it. The whole itinery was supposed to
have been only 12 or 14 hours from beginning to end, but it ended up
being 22 hours. If you decided to do it, I would make sure you have a
cell phone or a laptop that you can hook up to your cell phone so that
you can book alternate flights to your destination at Heathrow in the
event that you are temporarily stuck at Heathrow because you've missed
your connecting flight. I would also buy flight insurance.

Good luck!

When I had to go from LGW to Luton it worked out quickest and cheapest
for us to rent a car from Hertz at Gatwick and leave it at Luton.
There were 4 of us in the party and the cost of public transport was
exorbitant, plus it would have taken ages. The car cost £35 to rent
and it took about an hour and a quarter to drive.