Top 25 Rated Five-Star Cruise Ships!

Old December 23rd, 2003, 03:47 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Top 25 Rated Five-Star Cruise Ships!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Berlitz Publishing and thought it
would be of interest. For those that wish to only sail on the newest
ships, they might find it interesting to compute the average age of
the top 10 ships on this list. They might be surprised. g If you
have missed any of my news' postings, they are available on my web
site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Berlitz Announces Top 25 Rated Five-Star Cruise Ships From
Eagerly-Awaited `Ocean Cruising & Cruise Ships 2004'

MASPETH, N.Y., Dec. 23
For the fourth year running, Europa, the luxury Hapag-Lloyd ship,
captures the proverbial maritime Oscar, reveals Berlitz Publishing's
annual definitive cruising guide: "Ocean Cruising & Cruise Ships
2004," which is due in bookstores next month.

So exclusive and high-scoring in all possible criteria is Europa, that
author Douglas Ward, world-renowned authority on cruise ships, created
a new class for her: Five-Stars Plus. Ward describes Europa as "the
very best and most luxurious cruise ship and cruise experience
available today - unless you have your own private motor yacht."

While "Ocean Cruising & Cruise Ships 2004" delivers the most
comprehensive analyses and ratings systems for the 256 cruise ships
that sail today's seas, Ward says there is "no best cruise line in the
world." Cruise lines - he points out - are like the stock market.
Their standards go up and down each year, due to competition, the
introduction of new ships, and other factors.

This year, only 24 ships earned "membership" into the Five-Stars Club.
See attached sheet for the top 25 Five Star Ships in the world,
according to "Ocean Cruising & Cruise Ships 2004."

"Ocean Cruising & Cruise Ships 2004" has a suggested retail price of
$23.95 and can be found soon at most bookstores, travel stores, and
online outlets. For further information, contact: Berlitz Publishing,
46-35 54th Road, Maspeth, NY 11378; or call: 800-432-3294. Berlitz on
the Web: www.berlitzbooks.com.

Berlitz Publishing's Ocean Cruising & Cruise Ships 2004

FIVE-STARS PLUS CLUB

1. Europa

FIVE-STARS CLUB

1. Sea Dream I
2. Sea Dream II
3. Seabourn Legend
4. Seabourn Pride
5. Seabourn Spirit
6. Crystal Serenity
7. Crystal Symphony
8. Queen Elizabeth 2 (Grill Class)
9. Silver Shadow
10. Silver Whisper
11. Hanseatic
12. Crystal Harmony
13. Silver Cloud
14. Silver Wind
15. Sea Cloud II
16. Hebridean Spirit
17. Sea Cloud
18. Seven Seas Voyager
19. Seven Seas Mariner
20. Constellation
21. Hebridean Princess
22. Infinity
23. Millennium
24. Summit

See Berlitz Publishing's "Ocean Cruising & Cruise Ships 2004" for the
points these ships received, as well as explanations for why these
ships scored as highly as they did.

Old December 23rd, 2003, 04:31 PM
ArleneL

Well, at least I've sailed on one of them - Infinity - #22. Berlitz is
too snobby for me!

Arlene

Old December 23rd, 2003, 05:27 PM
OcnGypZ

Subject: Top 25 Rated Five-Star Cruise Ships!

Sorry.. but Celebrity M-Class ships... DO NOT deliver a product equal to
either
Seabourn or Silversea... far from it! Obviously, he hasn't seen the recent
plating changes in the dining room!!!!!! Blech!!!!

But, I've often though Doug Ward was a lot of crap any way.

Babette
Old December 23rd, 2003, 05:40 PM
SNUMBER6

From: Ray Goldenberg

20. Constellation

22. Infinity
23. Millennium
24. Summit

Tom K. voted a lot ... :-)

Be seeing you
In the Village
Number 6

Old December 23rd, 2003, 10:56 PM
Wolfgang Petrusch

[...]

Thanks Ray, this is quite an interesting list.

Do they own stock in RCI/Celebrity?

Now we have to re-evaluate counting Radisson Seven Seas Cruises among
the luxury cruise lines (with only 2 ships on this list) and replacing
them with far superior Celebrity Cruises (with 4 ships on the
list!!!!).

I THINK NOT!!!

Nobody can tell me the four Celebrity ships on that list a superior to
the Seven Seas Navigator!

Wolfgang Petrusch
www.deluxevoyages.com
Old December 23rd, 2003, 11:01 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On 23 Dec 2003 14:56:11 -0800, (Wolfgang
Petrusch) wrote:

Nobody can tell me the four Celebrity ships on that list a superior to
the Seven Seas Navigator!

Berlitz is nuts. What else is new?

The Not So Fine Art Of Google
http://makeashorterlink.com/?E29A321E6
Old December 24th, 2003, 12:05 AM
jcoulter

(Wolfgang Petrusch) wrote in
[...]

For that mattter Crystal above Silver Seas! and if you are on QU2 in
Grill class you are still on a larger ship that isn't in the class -
smae is trye forthe RCI/Celebrity ships, paying for a suite when one can
have more amenity with less crowding and better over all service on
Radisson, Silver Seas et al for the same price (and even in the
"smaller" cabins, more space.)
Old December 24th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Benjamin Smith

Wolfgang Petrusch wrote:
[...]

Celebrity is supposed to be 5 star and the other lines either 5 star
plus or 6 star. They don't belong with the other ships.

I can't find any compelling reason to place a Sea Cloud above a Sea
Cloud II, any of the Seabourn trio yachts as they are virtually
identical. For me, the Celebrity Constellation, Infinity, and Summit are
equal and should come in no particular order. If one has personnel
outperforming the other that crew will shift to the other in a matter of
months.

I hope this list isn't taken seriously by anyone. Top 10, 20, type lists
are always problematic.

Ben (wants to sail Seven Seas Navigator most of all of the RSSC ships)

Wolfgang Petrusch
www.deluxevoyages.com

Old December 24th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Susette405

What gets me about these lists is RECCOMEND Magazine put out thier list and its
different too so its just a opinion...
we all have opinion that differ for many of us Crystal is not what we would
prefer some would never do Carnival, just a amtter of what one likes. BUt we
all know Crystal is not in the same ball field as Celebrity! and should not
be...
Susette
Join us on our Annual Group Cruise 04Dec04 Jewel of the Seas!
Check out our website: www.cruiseoutlets.com
Old December 26th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Thomas Smith

In the 2003 Berlitz guide, they used the following rating system to evaluate
cruise ships.

Ship - 500 points
Factors include the ships hardware, maintenance, safety, outdoor facilities
and space, indoor facilities, space and traffic flow, decor, furnishings,
artwork, and spa and fitness facilities.

Accommodations - 200 points
Factors include separate ratings for suites, deluxe and standard cabins of
factors such as furnishings, layout, balcony lighting and furniture, if the
balcony is in fact totally private, bathroom fixtures, and other amenities
provided such as stationary.

Food - 400 points
Dining rooms are rated on dining room layout, table set-up and quality of
the dishes used as well as the food itself. Buffets are evaluated on their
presentation, and quality of the dishes used. The quality of the
ingredients is also evaluated. They evaluate snacks and bar service,
including if milk is served in open containers or in sealed packets (they
insist that it should be served open).

Service - 400 points
They evaluated the quality of dining room, cabin, bar and deck service.
They included here the noise level and lighting of the bars

Entertainment - 100 points
They evaluated how well the ship performed in relation to the target
audience of the ship. They evaluated lectures as well as the late night
shows. The physical plant such as set design and costumes was evaluated as
well as the shows themselves.

Cruise - 400 points
They evaluated activities, TV and movie offerings, the hospitality standard,
and the overall delivery of the cruise product.

The points are totaled (a perfect score is 2,000 points) with a ship needing
to score over 1,700 points to make the five-star class, and 1,800 points to
make the five-star-plus class. In the 2003 guide, they broke down what each
ship scored in each category.

Europa
Ship - 479, Accommodations - 189, Food - 370, Service - 359, Entertainment -
90, Cruise - 370, Total - 1,857

Sea Dream I
Ship - 441, Accommodations - 173, Food - 371, Service - 370, Entertainment -
N/A, Cruise - 435, Total - 1,790
(Note: Entertainment was not rated on this ship, and the total available
cruise points was adjusted to 500)

Sea Dream II
Ship - 441, Accommodations - 173, Food - 371, Service - 370, Entertainment -
N/A, Cruise - 435, Total - 1,790
(Note: Entertainment was not rated on this ship, and the total available
cruise points was adjusted to 500)

Seabourn Legend
Ship - 461, Accommodations - 186, Food - 347, Service - 353, Entertainment -
86, Cruise - 353, Total - 1,786

Seabourn Pride
Ship - 460, Accommodations - 186, Food - 347, Service - 353, Entertainment -
86, Cruise - 353, Total - 1,785

Seabourn Spirit
Ship - 460, Accommodations - 186, Food - 347, Service - 353, Entertainment -
86, Cruise - 353, Total - 1,785

Crystal Serenity
Not rated in the 2003 guide

Crystal Symphony
Ship - 451, Accommodations - 185, Food - 345, Service - 345, Entertainment -
88, Cruise - 354, Total - 1,758

Queen Elizabeth 2 (broken down for each class)
Grill Class
Ship - 441, Accommodations - 177, Food - 351, Service - 350, Entertainment -
84, Cruise - 351, Total - 1,754
Caronia Class
Ship - 416, Accommodations - 152, Food - 320, Service - 318, Entertainment -
84, Cruise - 332, Total - 1,622
Mauritania Class
Ship - 350, Accommodations - 99, Food - 279, Service - 273, Entertainment -
84, Cruise - 298, Total - 1,383

Silver Shadow
Ship - 454, Accommodations - 180, Food - 339, Service - 349, Entertainment -
86, Cruise - 349, Total - 1,757

Silver Whisper
Ship - 454, Accommodations - 180, Food - 339, Service - 349, Entertainment -
86, Cruise - 349, Total - 1,757

Hanseatic
Ship - 434, Accommodations - 172, Food - 345, Service - 343, Entertainment -
N/A, Cruise - 446, Total - 1,740
(Note: Entertainment was not rated on this ship, and the total available
cruise points was adjusted to 500)

Crystal Harmony
Ship - 433, Accommodations - 163, Food - 345, Service - 346, Entertainment -
86, Cruise - 352, Total - 1,725

Silver Cloud
Ship - 435, Accommodations - 181, Food - 339, Service - 340, Entertainment -
77, Cruise - 345, Total - 1,717

Silver Wind
Ship - 435, Accommodations - 181, Food - 339, Service - 340, Entertainment -
77, Cruise - 345, Total - 1,717

Sea Cloud II
Ship - 435, Accommodations - 173, Food - 344, Service - 333, Entertainment -
N/A, Cruise - 424, Total - 1,709
(Note: Entertainment was not rated on this ship, and the total available
cruise points was adjusted to 500)

Hebridean Spirit
Ship - 432, Accommodations - 177, Food - 350, Service - 341, Entertainment -
N/A, Cruise - 407, Total - 1,707
(Note: Entertainment was not rated on this ship, and the total available
cruise points was 5adjusted to 00)

Sea Cloud
Ship - 423, Accommodations - 173, Food - 348, Service - 335, Entertainment -
N/A, Cruise - 425, Total - 1,704
Note: Entertainment was not rated on this ship, and the total available
cruise points was adjusted to 500)

Seven Seas Voyager
Not rated in the 2003 guide

Seven Seas Mariner
Ship - 449, Accommodations - 177, Food - 334, Service - 324, Entertainment -
83, Cruise - 336, Total - 1,703

Constellation
Ship - 454, Accommodations - 181, Food - 328, Service - 330, Entertainment -
78, Cruise - 330, Total - 1,701

Hebridean Princess
Ship - 425, Accommodations - 177, Food - 350, Service - 341, Entertainment -
N/A, Cruise - 408, Total - 1,701
Note: Entertainment was not rated on this ship, and the total available
cruise points was adjusted to 500)

Infinity
Ship - 454, Accommodations - 181, Food - 328, Service - 330, Entertainment -
78, Cruise - 330, Total - 1,701

Millennium
Ship - 454, Accommodations - 181, Food - 328, Service - 330, Entertainment -
78, Cruise - 330, Total - 1,701

Summit
Ship - 454, Accommodations - 181, Food - 328, Service - 330, Entertainment -
78, Cruise - 330, Total - 1,701

I do find it interesting that the relative rankings haven't changed from the
2003 guide to the 2004 guide.

Tom Smith