Songkran and Chiang Mai

Old February 5th, 2004, 01:23 AM
Ingo Schablitzki

Default Songkran and Chiang Mai

Hello Folks!
This is my first visit in this group.
I´m from germany so please be patienced with my english.

I have been several times in Thailand.
i´m not a backpacker in classic sence, i´m a DIY traveller
who stays the first days and the last days in booked hotels.
then i start my journey with bus and train in the country
and stay overnight in local motels or B&B.

My Question:
I´m in luck.this year it´s my first time to stay over Songkran in
Thailand. So i decided to start the party in Chiang Mai -
i never been ther before!

Would you please recommend me a place to stay - not far from the centrum. !?
And is there a good advice to see the jungle near Chiang Mai ?

I have been in Khao Yai - beautiful and rich on tourist...

Thanx to you ,

Ingo

Old February 5th, 2004, 02:03 AM
Joel Smith

first let me tell you that it is NOT a good idea to be in CM during
Songran....it is hot and the streets are wild and crazy with people of all
ages dousing you with river water, ice water for 4 to 5 days. You have to go
around the city to avoid them. UNfortunately the foreigners are much worse
than the locals and are to be avoided...they seem to get posessed and show
no mercy. Nontheless you can get a bus to Pai and MaiHongSong and other
areas during the deluge in CM..get there the first week of february for the
PoiSongLong festival in MaeHongSong and also at the Burmese Wat in CM. (Wat
Pa Po (sp))
for hotels....call for reservation now for PEOPLE PLACE.lodging...very nice
and price under 15 dollars a night. but because it is busy
there,reservations are needed....email address is
their telepone is 053 282487 and address is9 lane 8 SRIDONCHAI RD. and
there is a good open peoples restaurant at the corner for soups and mangos
with sticky rice....alsoa banana roti cart appears there at night
mmmmmmmmmmmmm any more info??? gee I miss the place already !!!

"Ingo Schablitzki" wrote in message
Hello Folks!
This is my first visit in this group.
I´m from germany so please be patienced with my english.

I have been several times in Thailand.
i´m not a backpacker in classic sence, i´m a DIY traveller
who stays the first days and the last days in booked hotels.
then i start my journey with bus and train in the country
and stay overnight in local motels or B&B.

My Question:
I´m in luck.this year it´s my first time to stay over Songkran in
Thailand. So i decided to start the party in Chiang Mai -
i never been ther before!

Would you please recommend me a place to stay - not far from the centrum.

!?

Old February 5th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Ingo Schablitzki

Thanx so far Joel !
I think --- water is needed in this hot weather ...
well i try ! The lightly other party i think ...

greetings,
Ingo

PS.: PEOPLE PLACE sound nice

Old February 5th, 2004, 06:02 AM
Miguel Cruz

Joel Smith wrote:
first let me tell you that it is NOT a good idea to be in CM during
Songran....it is hot and the streets are wild and crazy with people of all
ages dousing you with river water, ice water for 4 to 5 days. You have to
go around the city to avoid them. UNfortunately the foreigners are much
worse than the locals and are to be avoided...they seem to get posessed
and show no mercy.

Sounds like fun to me. When is it this year BTW?

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/

Date : 14 april and the days wich follow - till the water is empty ;o)

Ingo

Old February 5th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Kris

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 01:03:02 GMT, "Joel Smith"
wrote:

first let me tell you that it is NOT a good idea to be in CM during
Songran....it is hot and the streets are wild and crazy with people of all
ages dousing you with river water, ice water for 4 to 5 days. You have to go
around the city to avoid them.

What do you mean, not a good idea? It's absolutely GREAT fun to be
there for Songkran. It is so much fun, you get to meet so many Thai
people so easily, hang out with them, have fun, go to the concerts on
the square near that new gate thingie (forgot the name) int he
evening,...

The water throwing stops as the sun goes down by the way. So you can
go to your hotel, have (another shower, change clothes, grab a bite
to eat and then go to the concerts and party into the night.

UNfortunately the foreigners are much worse
than the locals and are to be avoided...they seem to get posessed and show
no mercy.

Unfortunately, this is true.

Nontheless you can get a bus to Pai and MaiHongSong and other
areas during the deluge in CM..get there the first week of february for the
PoiSongLong festival in MaeHongSong and also at the Burmese Wat in CM. (Wat
Pa Po (sp))

for hotels....call for reservation now for PEOPLE PLACE.lodging...very nice
and price under 15 dollars a night. but because it is busy
there,reservations are needed....email address is
their telepone is 053 282487 and address is9 lane 8 SRIDONCHAI RD. and
there is a good open peoples restaurant at the corner for soups and mangos
with sticky rice....alsoa banana roti cart appears there at night
mmmmmmmmmmmmm any more info??? gee I miss the place already !!!

Dunno this place but you are right, probably better to make
reservations in advance and avoid ending up in a fleapit as all decent
accomodation will be full.

Old February 5th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Miguel Cruz

Date : 14 april and the days wich follow - till the water is empty ;o)

Ach, I'm going to miss it by a week! Too bad. Hopefully next year. Thanks
for the info.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old February 5th, 2004, 01:51 PM
loikroh

Bull**** - It IS fun - in fact it's a brilliant example of something that
just could not take place in the west without degenerating into real
conflict and trouble. The only fights and arrests I've seen in the last
five years during songkran involved westerners by the moat on moonmuang rd.
The Thais have a ball. It changed slightly due to the banning of the
well-loved long, pump-action water guns. This was supposed to reduce the
number of motorbike fatalities!! Unfortunately the guns were replaced by
buckets and the fatalities went up!! Having said that, You will have a great
time at Songkran. If you want it "full-on" then get a TukTuk with an oildrum
on board and cruise. Alternatively if you can find some Thai friends, get
on board a big pick-up truck and cruise. We did that 2 years ago on a large
Suzuki truck from Sankampaeng - took 5 hours to get into the city and go
round the moat once-2 oildrums full - ice blocks to cool it down-huge sound
system - 12 of us on board all in matching Songkran shirts - age range 11 to
40 - brilliant day for the whole family.

If you want to see a more traditional Songkran but still having loads of
water fun then try going out to Soppong (Pangmapha- half way between Pai and
Maehongson) Last year was a ball - the Lisu can throw water just as hard as
the chiangmai residents - all with wonderful smiles!! I posted a few pics
from last year at -
http://www.soppong.com/forums/forumd...p?fid=4&page=3

have a good time
cheers
LK

Date : 14 april and the days wich follow - till the water is empty ;o)

Ingo

Old February 5th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Ingo Schablitzki

thank you for the information - i can´t hartly wait to be there!
I gonna take some pictures with my snorkeling cam ..;O)

Thnx,
Ingo

Date : 14 april and the days wich follow - till the water is empty ;o)

Ingo

All the expats I know try to get out of Thailand, or at least get out
of the cities, during Songkran. It's also potentially dangerous -
spraying water from a high powered water gun in the face of a
motorcyclist is the cause of many a fatal traffic accident during
Songkran. Fatal accidents skyrocket during Songkran.

I suppose for a tourist, once might be fun