A Day in Bristol (UK)

Old January 13th, 2011, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ex_OWM

Default A Day in Bristol (UK)

We have a day to ourselves in Bristol next Friday. Bearing in mind the time
of year - 21st Jan - any recommendations on what to do and see?

We're mildly - not madly - interested in history so something related to
maritime/slave trade history might be good.

Old January 13th, 2011, 08:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 19:40:42 -0000, EX_OWM wrote:

We have a day to ourselves in Bristol next Friday. Bearing in mind the time
of year - 21st Jan - any recommendations on what to do and see?

We're mildly - not madly - interested in history so something related to
maritime/slave trade history might be good.

Check out the cities.

Old January 14th, 2011, 12:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

And Runge (127th version) is not familiar
with Cockney rhyming slang.

Old January 14th, 2011, 10:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Jan 13, 7:40*pm, "EX_OWM" wrote:
We have a day to ourselves in Bristol next Friday. Bearing in mind the time
of year - 21st Jan - any recommendations on what to do and see?

We're mildly - not madly - interested in history so something related to
maritime/slave trade history might be good.

You had the British Empire Museum right there, in the old Temple Meads
railway station.
Slavery etc. coming out of your ears!
But they're now planning to move to London, so I'm not sure whether
it's still open?
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bill Payer

EX_OWM wrote:
We have a day to ourselves in Bristol next Friday. Bearing in mind
the time of year - 21st Jan - any recommendations on what to do and
see?
We're mildly - not madly - interested in history so something related
to maritime/slave trade history might be good.

Clifton suspension bridge is well worth a walk along, but you could spend
quite a bit of time looking around the SS Great Britain - excellent.

Old January 27th, 2011, 11:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ex_OWM

What we ended up doing.

Decided to skip the SS Great Britain - £12 each for touring a restored
cruise ship just didn't seem value for money plus we were more interested in
getting a feel for the city itself..

We were staying beside the SS Great Britain so we walked alongside the
harbour to the Swing Bridge and on into Queen Square, wandered around the
Old Town Area, on down to Narrow Quay, up to College Green and spent about
an hour in Bristol Cathedral which is extremely impressive and interesting
if you're into that kind of thing, which we are.

From there down through Millennium Square. Didn't know quite what to make of
this, very clean and open and modern but I thought a bit of soft landscaping
wouldn't have gone amiss. On down the quay and caught one of the little
cross-river ferries back to where we started.

Very enjoyable wander, though I found Bristol a a bit of a hotch potch of
old and new. For example, as you walk along Broad Street, past the Grand
Hotel and the Guildhall, two splendid buildings, you spot the beautiful
archway at the end of the street but as you come to it, a hideous
monstrosity of an office tower block appears right beside it. I also thought
the Radisson hotel, towering over the city centre to be most unattractive.

Our daughter and boyfriend picked us up on Saturday (they hadn't been
available on Friday) and took us to Clifden Downs and the suspension
bridge - all extremely impressive with some stunning views.I was
particularly pleased that despite my total fear of heights, I was able to
walk across the bridge

Old March 13th, 2011, 09:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
contrex

On Jan 27, 11:57*am, "EX_OWM" wrote:

Decided to skip the SS Great Britain - 12 each for touring a restored
cruise ship just didn't seem value for money

It's not a "cruise ship". When she was launched in 1843 she was a
pioneer, being the first large screw-propelled ocean-going iron ship.
She was the first screw steamer to cross the Atlantic. If you thought
she was a "restored cruise ship" I guess you wouldn't have got much
from a visit.