Touring San Francisco in 4-5 Hours

Old June 12th, 2009, 08:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

Default Touring San Francisco in 4-5 Hours

In article ,
Geoff Rait wrote:
In article
,
JamesStep wrote:
Adam wrote:
assuming they are not entirely exhausted

That might be a big assumption. That's a long flight, and with the 3-
hour time change it's already mid-afternoon as far as they're
concerned. At the very least they may want to stop at their hotel to
freshen up & rest a bit, and they'll want to eat.

The original poster noted this is a lay over. No hotel.

I recall my 2nd trip through Auckland, NZ, I was driven around by 2 netters
(from another news group) on the limited lay over time I had. We took a
meal (a good idea and uses multiple senses), I had no idea of specific
sights to see (I shed my LP guide at Mt Cook to an Aussie from Perth
who have never heard of them, and now I have a place to stay in Perth).
That was right next to where the America's cup was going to take place
and where the Greenpeace Rainbow Warrior was sunk by French special forces.
And I remember Mt. Eden (quite a grin to friends who's family named the
one in Saratoga).

You might want to consider a guided tour. It's a good way to see a lot

I'd second that suggestion. The 3-hour city tours go to/past many of the

It can be good, and eating, if one can find a nice place can be good, too.
Involve other senses than merely using sight or sound.

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).

Old June 13th, 2009, 08:52 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

sevisen Adam wrote:
The last time I gave someone the once-over of San Francisco, I had all day,
starting early in the morning and going to sunset. The program went
something like this:

* parked at Embarcadero (road along Fisherman's Wharf)
* took the Gray Line sightseeing city tour
* strolled around Beach near Polk: Ghiradelli Square,
SF Maritime Natl Park
* drove through Presidio
* drove to Palace of Fine Arts and walked around there
* drove to Golden Gate Park to Japanese Tea Garden or along there
* drove to Ocean Beach to catch sunset

And THAT consumed the day.

So a group of three adults from on the other side of the planet are getting
off at SFO sometime before noon on 11 July---HOPEFULLY the arrival is on
time (they are flying in from New York after a week there, I believe). And
my mission is the give them the most with the least amount of time showing
the obviously ONLY the highlights of SF.

Assuming I can make it back to The City sometime between 12:30-1:00 pm, and
assuming they are not entirely exhausted from the NY-SF journey, how would
YOU show someone SF between the hours of 1:00 pm and sunset (approx. 7-7:30
pm)?

Where would you be and at what times?

Depends on the adults and what they like to do.

I'd take them on a bicycle ride across the G² bridge and on to Larkspur
and a ferry ride back to the ferry building, then eat at Taylor's
Automatic, ride back to the bike rental place on Fisherman's wharf, then
take them back to the airport.

Old June 13th, 2009, 03:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

The original poster noted this is a lay over. No hotel.

I don't think he specified that; he just said they needed to be done
sightseeing by 7:30.

Perhaps they're heading back to the airport then, but it's also
possible they're staying overnight but already have plans for the
evening.

James
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sutro Forest

On Jun 13, 12:52*am, SMS wrote:
sevisen Adam wrote:
[...]

take them back to the airport.- Hide quoted text -

Just make sure they know what they're doing! We took that ride once,
with kids, just across the GG Bridge to Sausalito. It took us twice as
long as the bike-shop told us (they were all fit young guys and gals,
we should have guessed) and we barely made the last ferry back!

Forest
www.savesutro.wordpress.com

Old July 24th, 2009, 07:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MyVacationPlaces.COM Webmaster

Been a while since I have been there but three must see's:

1. Riding the cable cars!
2. Fisherman's wharf
3. Golden Gate park

I hear Alcatrax is real interesting, but never done that one.....

Dan
http://www.MyVacationPlaces.com