Rentals and Trailers

Old August 8th, 2007, 01:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Rentals and Trailers

I have read the fine print on some of the car rental web sites and see
no mention. I might not be looking close enough or reading the wrong
things. I would like to ask, has anyone used a rental car to tow a
trailer?

Old August 8th, 2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Aug 7, 7:34 pm, wrote:
I have read the fine print on some of the car rental web sites and see
no mention. I might not be looking close enough or reading the wrong
things. I would like to ask, has anyone used a rental car to tow a
trailer?

I use Hertz exclusively, and know for a fact that they do not allow
towing with their rental cars. I would think that the "no towing"
rule applies to the other rental agencies also.

Old August 8th, 2007, 02:40 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ad absurdum per aspera

I have read the fine print on some of the car rental web sites and see
no mention.

In my experience it is usually explicitly prohibited on regular
passenger cars from rental companies, somewhere in the fine print.

The point is nearly moot anyway, since the days of the easily
installed clamp-on bumper hitch are over, obviated by changes in the
way bumpers are constructed -- you'd have to obtain and install the
kind of hitch that attaches to (hopefully) strong points in the
unibody of a specific model, and they *really* don't want you drilling
holes in their cars, never mind what for! Besides, the official
factory tow rating of most of today's cars is somewhere between light-
duty and nothing, even if you are the owner.

Policies for rental pickups, vans, and SUVs vary. You should have
better luck with moving/cargo-oriented companies than with mainstream
rental-car companies. I sometimes see them being used for towing or
at least equipped with a trailer hitch.

Best of luck,
--Joe

Old August 10th, 2007, 11:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article .com,
Jim Davis wrote:

On Aug 7, 7:34 pm, wrote:
I have read the fine print on some of the car rental web sites and see
no mention. I might not be looking close enough or reading the wrong
things. I would like to ask, has anyone used a rental car to tow a
trailer?

I use Hertz exclusively, and know for a fact that they do not allow
towing with their rental cars. I would think that the "no towing"
rule applies to the other rental agencies also.

I agree, but the OP should definitely call around and actually ask
rental car agencies about their towing policy. Renting a full size van
or truck, if possible, from a company such as Ryder might be the way to
go.
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Aug 10, 5:37 am, Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article .com,
Jim Davis wrote:

On Aug 7, 7:34 pm, wrote:
I have read the fine print on some of the car rental web sites and see
no mention. I might not be looking close enough or reading the wrong
things. I would like to ask, has anyone used a rental car to tow a
trailer?

I use Hertz exclusively, and know for a fact that they do not allow
towing with their rental cars. I would think that the "no towing"
rule applies to the other rental agencies also.

I agree, but the OP should definitely call around and actually ask
rental car agencies about their towing policy. Renting a full size van
or truck, if possible, from a company such as Ryder might be the way to
go.

Maybe U-Haul too. I beleive they rent vans with hitches.

Old August 11th, 2007, 10:05 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

Jim Davis wrote:

On Aug 7, 7:34 pm, wrote:
I have read the fine print on some of the car rental web sites and see
no mention. I might not be looking close enough or reading the wrong
things. I would like to ask, has anyone used a rental car to tow a
trailer?

I use Hertz exclusively, and know for a fact that they do not allow
towing with their rental cars. I would think that the "no towing"
rule applies to the other rental agencies also.

I agree, but the OP should definitely call around and actually ask
rental car agencies about their towing policy. Renting a full size van
or truck, if possible, from a company such as Ryder might be the way to
go.

Maybe U-Haul too. I beleive they rent vans with hitches.

U-Haul is a possibility, but their record of doing good vehicle
maintenance is lousy, so one takes their chances with U-Haul.