Boeing 757 production to end

Old October 18th, 2003, 03:49 AM
Right Gonad

Default Boeing 757 production to end

James Anatidae wrote:
I think you can bet that they will. Airbus seems to have made surpassing
Boeing at every point their top priority. If there's a market they corner
because Boeing has pulled out of it, they'll most likely go for it.

The only thing I could see Airbus do is produce an ER variant of the 321.
However, when you consider the current market, as well as the fact that Airbus
is currently very busy paying for A380, A340-600 and A340-500, launching a new
long range variant of A321 may not be cost justifiable in the current market.

Is the market for 757 still there, with potential customers prefering to wait
for 737-900ER instead of buying the dead-end 757 ? Or is the market for 757
class aircraft just not big enough anymore ?
Old October 18th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Thomas Smith

The use of stairs for boarding larger jets is rare in the United States. I
haven't had to use stairs on anything larger than an ATR-74 in at least 15
years. Also, the use of stairs in the US for jet aircraft is problematic
because of disability access laws. To accommodate a passenger in a
wheelchair, they have to get some form of a lift that they can then use as
an elevator.

Tom Smith

"AJC" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:07:21 GMT, Not the Karl Orff
wrote:

At most of the airports Ryanair use airbridges are unheard of, it's
stairs front and back and you're pushed out the doors almost as soon
as the wheels have stopped turning.
--==++AJC++==--

Old October 18th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Andrew Perrin

"Thomas Smith" -NO-SPAM writes:

The use of stairs for boarding larger jets is rare in the United States. I
haven't had to use stairs on anything larger than an ATR-74 in at least 15
years. Also, the use of stairs in the US for jet aircraft is problematic
because of disability access laws. To accommodate a passenger in a
wheelchair, they have to get some form of a lift that they can then use as
an elevator.

Tom Smith

I've used stairs within the last few years off midsize jets (e.g.,
737) at SJC and SBA. Can't think of anywhere else I've been recently
in the US, though. Most of the other stairs I've seen were outside the
US: SJO, SXM, WDH, LUN, HRE.

ap

* andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu
Old October 18th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Dick Locke

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 00:13:21 GMT, Not the Karl Orff
wrote:

Can;t remember the last time I used the stairs f any such
however.

747's at Narita fairly frequently. Any and all planes at Stuttgart.
Old October 19th, 2003, 02:09 AM
Michael Graham

"Thomas Smith" -NO-SPAM wrote in message ...
The use of stairs for boarding larger jets is rare in the United States. I
haven't had to use stairs on anything larger than an ATR-74 in at least 15
years. Also, the use of stairs in the US for jet aircraft is problematic
because of disability access laws. To accommodate a passenger in a
wheelchair, they have to get some form of a lift that they can then use as
an elevator.

Tom Smith

They had to use a lift for a couple of peopel including my stepdad on
a Horzion flight out of BIL. Big thing I would note is that added time
to that all important fast turnaround.
M. Graham
Old October 19th, 2003, 06:00 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article
,
"Thomas Smith" -NO-SPAM wrote:

The use of stairs for boarding larger jets is rare in the United States. I
haven't had to use stairs on anything larger than an ATR-74 in at least 15
years. Also, the use of stairs in the US for jet aircraft is problematic
because of disability access laws. To accommodate a passenger in a
wheelchair, they have to get some form of a lift that they can then use as
an elevator.

Only airports I know use these (that I've been to) are BUR, BLI and KOA.
probably some other small small airports (such as ITH or ELM).
Old October 19th, 2003, 06:01 AM
Not the Karl Orff

wrote:

Can;t remember the last time I used the stairs f any such
however.

747's at Narita fairly frequently. Any and all planes at Stuttgart.

I was thinking of the built-in stairs of DC-9s/MD-80s, 727s and 737s.
Old October 19th, 2003, 04:49 PM
John R. Levine

Default stairs vs jetways, was Boeing 757 production to end

The use of stairs for boarding larger jets is rare in the United States...

Only airports I know use these (that I've been to) are BUR, BLI and KOA.
probably some other small small airports (such as ITH or ELM).

ITH doesn't have scheduled jets this year, but they used the jetway for
the DC-9's and the RJ's.

In my experience it's still pretty common to use stairs at
warm-weather airports such as SAN, and I think I've seen them recently
at LGA at the back door on shuttles to get people off faster. At LGA,
the front door used the jetway so there wasn't a wheelchair problem.

Regards,
John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be,
http://iecc.com/johnl, Sewer Commissioner
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.