Medical emergency in USA? ? ?

Old July 29th, 2009, 12:46 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ray[_4_]

Default Medical emergency in USA? ? ?

I have a Canadian friend who came to the USA recently for a funeral.
Unfortunately he suffered a serious accident while here, and required
extensive reconstructive surgery, followed by several days in intensive
care. As soon as he could be moved he was transported back to Canada.

My question is, who pays for this very expensive care? I'd estimate it cost
at least $50,000.

Since the trip was somewhat urgent, I'm sure he did not arrange for any term
insurance to cover the visit.

It would seem logical that the two countries had some sort of reciprocal
agreement in this area, but logic does not always prevail.

Old July 29th, 2009, 04:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rik Brown[_118_]

I have private health insurance in the USA. For emergency health care
outside of the USA, all I need to do is keep the receipts and proof of
payment, etc. for reimbursement by my health care company. Its worked
for me in Japan.

Otherwise, travelers can always purchase travel insurance with
emergency health care coverage.

Since we are now having a major health care debate in the USA, I'd be
quite interested to know if your health care provider (the Canadian
Government) will likewise pickup the foreign emergency health care tab
like private providers do in the USA.

-- Rik

--
Rik Brown

Share your experiences in the forums, blogs, videos, and online
community at 'TRAVEL.com' (http://forums.TRAVEL.com).
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Old July 29th, 2009, 05:38 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Richard[_11_]

Sorry, but no government will pick up the tab if your friend didn't have any
insurance. Canadian health insurance may pick a very small portion. Sorry
bout your friend. Perhaps they had automatic insurance on their credit card
or something for out of province insurance.

Old July 29th, 2009, 05:57 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message "Ray"
was claimed to have wrote:

I have a Canadian friend who came to the USA recently for a funeral.
Unfortunately he suffered a serious accident while here, and required
extensive reconstructive surgery, followed by several days in intensive
care. As soon as he could be moved he was transported back to Canada.

My question is, who pays for this very expensive care? I'd estimate it cost
at least $50,000.

Since the trip was somewhat urgent, I'm sure he did not arrange for any term
insurance to cover the visit.

It takes about 15 minutes to arrange for travel insurance by phone.

It would seem logical that the two countries had some sort of reciprocal
agreement in this area, but logic does not always prevail.

Canadian provincial health care will pay the same costs as they'd have
paid if the accident occurred in Canada. With US health care tending to
cost far more, the traveler is responsible for the difference.

If they have private insurance, an annual traveler's insurance plan, or
booked and paid for the entire trip with a credit card, they may have
coverage, but otherwise, they'll have a large bill waiting for them.
Old July 29th, 2009, 08:46 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_4_]

"Ray" wrote in message
I have a Canadian friend who came to the USA recently for a funeral.
Unfortunately he suffered a serious accident while here, and required
extensive reconstructive surgery, followed by several days in intensive
care. As soon as he could be moved he was transported back to Canada.

My question is, who pays for this very expensive care? I'd estimate it
cost at least $50,000.

Since the trip was somewhat urgent, I'm sure he did not arrange for any
term insurance to cover the visit.

Thats unfortunate, it can be purchased in minutes.

It would seem logical that the two countries had some sort of reciprocal
agreement in this area, but logic does not always prevail.

Since the US doesnt have a national health system to reciprocate
with the point would seem moot.

You dont mention the nature of the accident, if negligence by a
3rd party was involved a law suit might be in order.

Keith

Old July 29th, 2009, 12:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ray[_4_]

No third parties involved -- my friend fell down a flight of steps. Broke
both upper arms and many bones in the face.

Old July 29th, 2009, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Steve Cain

"Ray" wrote in message
I have a Canadian friend who came to the USA recently for a funeral.
Unfortunately he suffered a serious accident while here, and required
extensive reconstructive surgery, followed by several days in intensive
care. As soon as he could be moved he was transported back to Canada.

My question is, who pays for this very expensive care? I'd estimate it
cost at least $50,000.

Since the trip was somewhat urgent, I'm sure he did not arrange for any
term insurance to cover the visit.

It would seem logical that the two countries had some sort of reciprocal
agreement in this area, but logic does not always prevail.

Your description of the accident and subsequent care begs the
question....50K?
Also, the cost of the repatriotization? What sort of transportation
involved?
Was an automobile involved? s

Old July 29th, 2009, 10:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ray[_4_]

My friend fell down a flight of stairs, breaking both arms and many bones in
the face, which required emergency reconstructive surgery. He was taken back
to Toronto in an ambulance, three days after the accident.

Old July 29th, 2009, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Steve Cain

"Steve Cain" wrote in message

"Ray" wrote in message
I have a Canadian friend who came to the USA recently for a funeral.
Unfortunately he suffered a serious accident while here, and required
extensive reconstructive surgery, followed by several days in intensive
care. As soon as he could be moved he was transported back to Canada.

My question is, who pays for this very expensive care? I'd estimate it
cost at least $50,000.

Since the trip was somewhat urgent, I'm sure he did not arrange for any
term insurance to cover the visit.

It would seem logical that the two countries had some sort of reciprocal
agreement in this area, but logic does not always prevail.

Your description of the accident and subsequent care begs the
question....50K?
Also, the cost of the repatriotization? What sort of transportation
involved?
Was an automobile involved? s

Dude......here in the US each us must be VERY thakful that they were NOT OUR
STAIRS! s

Old July 29th, 2009, 11:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rudy[_1_]

My question is, who pays for this very expensive care? I'd estimate it
cost
at least $50,000.

He does

Since the trip was somewhat urgent, I'm sure he did not arrange for any
term insurance to cover the visit.

Thats a big mistake

It would seem logical that the two countries had some sort of reciprocal
agreement in this area, but logic does not always prevail.

Nope