Hotels with Free Internet access

Old July 31st, 2009, 06:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JohnW

Default Hotels with Free Internet access

Last year when we toured Texas we mainly stayed at Holiday Inn Expresses.
One of the main reasons was that they all guarantee a Wi-Fi signal in all
the rooms and, perhaps more importantly, they don't charge an additional
fee. We're up north this year (Illinios, Michigan and neighbouring states
and would like a bit more choice as to where to stay. One thing that I won't
do is to book a hotel that proudly boasts facilities on their website and
says that there is an extra charge to use them without saying what the
charge is. So, are there any other chains (regional or otherwise) that have
free wi-fi, I don't mind plugging in a cable though!

Old August 1st, 2009, 10:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Piero

JohnW ha scritto:

We're up north this year (Illinios, Michigan and
neighbouring states and would like a bit more choice as to where to
stay.

The Motel chain 'Super8' has free WiFi in all locations.
We used WiFi for all, including VoIP calls to home (Italy).

Ciao, Piero.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 04:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

John, many motels offer it these days. But if you were happy with
Holiday Inn Express, you might just want to stick with them as they
are also in the states you're planning to visit.

James
Old August 2nd, 2009, 06:25 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Jul 31, 10:40*am, "JohnW"
wrote:
So, are there any other chains (regional or otherwise) that have
free wi-fi, I don't mind plugging in a cable though!

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal a few months ago.
Their observation was that the cheaper the hotel/motel, the more
likely it was to include internet access at no additional charge.
They concluded that the guests at the more expensive hotels were more
likely to be travelling on business and could get their employers to
pay the additional charges.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 06:47 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

schrieb

They concluded that the guests at the more expensive hotels
were more likely to be travelling on business and could get
their employers to pay the additional charges.

The hard- and software to make the access "chargeable" won't
be free either. If I had a motel or hotel I would think twice
before spending a lot of money to charge for something that
others offer for free: Will the guests ever pay back my initial
costs?

Jochen
Old August 2nd, 2009, 05:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 17:40:19 GMT, "JohnW"
wrote:

Last year when we toured Texas we mainly stayed at Holiday Inn Expresses.
One of the main reasons was that they all guarantee a Wi-Fi signal in all
the rooms and, perhaps more importantly, they don't charge an additional
fee. We're up north this year (Illinios, Michigan and neighbouring states
and would like a bit more choice as to where to stay. One thing that I won't
do is to book a hotel that proudly boasts facilities on their website and
says that there is an extra charge to use them without saying what the
charge is. So, are there any other chains (regional or otherwise) that have
free wi-fi, I don't mind plugging in a cable though!

I haven't stayed in a Hampton Inn in a number of years that didn't
have it but I don't know if all do.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 07:44 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
ImageAnalyst

wrote:
Last year when we toured Texas we mainly stayed at Holiday Inn Expresses..
One of the main reasons was that they all guarantee a Wi-Fi signal in all
the rooms and, perhaps more importantly, they don't charge an additional
fee. We're up north this year (Illinios, Michigan and neighbouring states
and would like a bit more choice as to where to stay. One thing that I won't
do is to book a hotel that proudly boasts facilities on their website and
says that there is an extra charge to use them without saying what the
charge is. So, are there any other chains (regional or otherwise) that have
free wi-fi, I don't mind plugging in a cable though!

I haven't stayed in a Hampton Inn in a number of years that didn't
have it but I don't know if all do.

All the Hampton Inns that I've stayed in have it. Even if you didn't
bring your computer, they have a computer in the lobby. Plus the
faciilities (furniture, bed, bathroom, etc.) are one step up in
quality from the Holiday Inn Express at abut the same price. (I've
stayed in both this month.)
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:56 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Binyamin Dissen

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 07:47:56 +0200 "Jochen Kriegerowski"
wrote:

schrieb

: They concluded that the guests at the more expensive hotels
: were more likely to be travelling on business and could get
: their employers to pay the additional charges.

:The hard- and software to make the access "chargeable" won't
:be free either. If I had a motel or hotel I would think twice
:before spending a lot of money to charge for something that
:others offer for free: Will the guests ever pay back my initial
:costs?

The bigger issue is that it doesn't work. If one person has the code, it can
be shared by others. If MAC checking is done, simply use a router.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
y_p_w

On Aug 2, 6:03*am, Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,
*"Jochen Kriegerowski" wrote:

schrieb

They concluded that the guests at the more expensive hotels
were more likely to be travelling on business and could get
their employers to pay the additional charges.

The hard- and software to make the access "chargeable" won't
be free either. If I had a motel or hotel I would think twice
before spending a lot of money to charge for something that
others offer for free: Will the guests ever pay back my initial
costs?

Hotels don't purchase that sort of stuff, they simply contract it out to
a service.

They still need to purchase the equipment that enables this sort of
service. They're not using standard home routers, but commercial
grade equipment which can support the software. In my experience,
many of the hotel paid services required that the system be patched
into their hotel registration system. I've had to include my name and
room number, and the bill was typically charged to the room like a
meal or other services.

I suppose this could be handled remotely like we see at airports.
When I've paid for internet access at an airport, it's usually
required a credit card.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
y_p_w

wrote:
Last year when we toured Texas we mainly stayed at Holiday Inn Expresses..
One of the main reasons was that they all guarantee a Wi-Fi signal in all
the rooms and, perhaps more importantly, they don't charge an additional
fee. We're up north this year (Illinios, Michigan and neighbouring states
and would like a bit more choice as to where to stay. One thing that I won't
do is to book a hotel that proudly boasts facilities on their website and
says that there is an extra charge to use them without saying what the
charge is. So, are there any other chains (regional or otherwise) that have
free wi-fi, I don't mind plugging in a cable though!

I haven't stayed in a Hampton Inn in a number of years that didn't
have it but I don't know if all do.

Many Hilton owned properties have free internet access, but it
varies. The Las Vegas Hilton doesn't.