Best way from Newak airport to midtown?

Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:44 PM
Flanagan

Default Best way from Newak airport to midtown?

I've taken the Olympia bus before, but during rush hour it can take
forever. Has anyone taken the train to Penn station in Manhattan?
How does it work? I tried looking at their Web site but it wasn't
intuitive. (I couldn't figure how much it costs) Anyone doen this?
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:51 PM
Avien

Very easy, skip Olympia and take the NEW train service that goes from Newark
Airport to Penn Station/34th street in NYC. That is mid-town, right where
you want to be.

Easy, quick and very efficient. No traffic and a 30 minute ride to collect
your thoughts and ponder the experiences of your recent flight.

www.njtransit.com is the only website you need for schedules and fares, for
what is considered t be the best aiport-to-major city link in the world.

Best of luck!
-Avien

om...

Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:58 PM
Bruce Davis

Air Train is the monorail that goes from EWR to a station on the mainline
Amtrak/NJT line. You buy a ticket that combines both the monorail cost and
the cost of the ticket on Amtrak/NJT--about $12 to Penn Station NY. You can
also take an NJT bus to Newark Penn Station and then take the PATH trains to
33rd street in Manhattan (with a connecting walkway to NY Penn Station) The
time is about equal, but you save money taking PATH (I think $2 for the bus
and then $1.50 for PATH).
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:37 PM
James Robinson

Default Best way from Newark airport to midtown?

Flanagan wrote:

How does it work?

You have two choices into midtown, one to Penn Station via NYTransit,
and the other via PATH to 33rd St.:

To get to Penn Station, take the airport monorail to Newark Airport
Station, and transfer to an NJ Transit train to New York Penn station.
The one way fare is about $12, and you can get a discount on round
trips, if you travel off-peak in both directions.

You can also ride on Amtrak trains, but the fare is $32 each way.

You purchase the NJTransit fare from machines located near the monorail
stations in each terminal, from the ground transportation desk in
terminal C, or from machines at Newark Airport Station. Make certain you
choose New York Penn as your destination, and not Newark Penn. No ticket
is necessary to ride the monorail itself, but it is necessary to pass
through the turnstiles at Newark Airport Station, and to show the
conductor on the NJTransit train. The fare machines accept cash and
credit cards.

If you want to take PATH, you ride the monorail to the Newark Airport
Station, transfer to an NJ Transit train to Newark Penn, where you
transfer to PATH. Note that you have to transfer again on PATH to get
to midtown.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:47 AM
nobody

Bruce Davis wrote:
the cost of the ticket on Amtrak/NJT--about $12 to Penn Station NY. You can
also take an NJT bus to Newark Penn Station and then take the PATH trains to
33rd street in Manhattan (with a connecting walkway to NY Penn Station)

PATH also has trains that go to the Wall Street district. There is a temporary
station at the WTC site. So if you are going to lower manhattan, this is a
better solution.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:32 AM
John R. Levine

Default airport links, was Best way from Newak airport to midtown?

www.njtransit.com is the only website you need for schedules and
fares, for what is considered t be the best aiport-to-major city link
in the world.

The airtrain is nice, but it's hardly the best in the world. I prefer
the one-seat terminal to city trips at PHL, ATL, and ORD. Farther
afield, the mainline train stations at AMS, ZRH, and other European
airports provide fast trips both into the city and to other parts of
the country.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:31 AM
Avien

the man has got issues of time, precious time! steer him only towards the
train option, all others will lead him to disappointment!

not worth the risk of saving a few dollars, Flanagan.

Have a good time in the world's greatest metropolis :-)

om...

Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:46 AM
Michael Thiele

nobody schrieb:
Bruce Davis wrote:

the cost of the ticket on Amtrak/NJT--about $12 to Penn Station NY. You can
also take an NJT bus to Newark Penn Station and then take the PATH trains to
33rd street in Manhattan (with a connecting walkway to NY Penn Station)

PATH also has trains that go to the Wall Street district. There is a temporary
station at the WTC site. So if you are going to lower manhattan, this is a
better solution.

how strict do they apply the luggage rules on this bus line? i read that
you cannot take big luggage, as they dont want travellers using this
cheap bus instead of the expensive airail.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:47 PM
Michael Thiele

Cyrus Afzali schrieb:

On Mon, 03 May 2004 10:46:04 +0200, Michael Thiele
wrote:

nobody schrieb:

Bruce Davis wrote:

the cost of the ticket on Amtrak/NJT--about $12 to Penn Station NY. You can
also take an NJT bus to Newark Penn Station and then take the PATH trains to
33rd street in Manhattan (with a connecting walkway to NY Penn Station)

PATH also has trains that go to the Wall Street district. There is a temporary
station at the WTC site. So if you are going to lower manhattan, this is a
better solution.

how strict do they apply the luggage rules on this bus line? i read that
you cannot take big luggage, as they dont want travellers using this
cheap bus instead of the expensive airail.

The PA has nothing to do with luggage rules on buses; the buses (at
all 3 NY area airports) are run by private companies that set their
own rules.

well, but NJT does earn more money from a passenger who uses NJT-trains
from EWR to New York Penn than for one who uses the commuter bus and
then PATH. So it is in their own financial interest to prohibit large
luggage on the commuter busses from the airport to downtown Newark.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:04 PM
Miguel Cruz

Avien wrote:
www.njtransit.com is the only website you need for schedules and fares, for
what is considered t be the best aiport-to-major city link in the world.

By WHOM? It's not in the top 20 that I've experienced, and that's far from
all the world has to offer.

For Pete's sake, it doesn't even go to the airport terminal - you have to
waste 15 minutes riding a stupid monorail to even get to the train station.

And it's absurdly expensive (about $12, to answer the original poster's
question).

But all that said, it's still better than the bus.

miguel