BA flies 747 on 3 engines LAX-UK - New EU comp rules

Old February 27th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Bertie the Bunyip

"Service Tech"
gy.com:

"Capt 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC" wrote in
message ...

When decision making in an airplane becomes a democracy, we'll give
you your opinion, till then, shuddup siddown strapin hangon. You paid
for a ride, nothing more.

I had to chuckle on that one. Good Answer.

Bweawhahwhahhwhahwhahwh
!

Slurp!

Bertie

Old February 27th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Bertie the Bunyip

nobody
sednews:1109469297.cb9abf0fb645a68ca1b4b9c9d9427a9 3@teranews:

"Dave C." wrote:
OK, how would YOU describe it when (not if) both wings stall due to
all engines starved for fuel? At that point, an airliner pretty much
flies as well as a rock.

There have been a few instances of aircraft running out of fuel at
altitude:

Gimli Glider (landed lafely)
Ethiopian 767 (landed near beach in ocean, many survivors)
Air Transat 330 (ran out of fuel over atlantic, landed at Azores)

And as mentioned in another post, the BA 747 that had all engines shut
off due to volcanic ash, and it glided long enough for aircraft to get
out of cloud and with sufficient speed for them to be able to restart
engines.

And the 737 that landed on the dike in Louisiana.

Bertei
Old February 27th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Bertie the Bunyip

"Capt 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC"
:

nobody wrote:

"Dave C." wrote:
OK, how would YOU describe it when (not if) both wings stall due to
all engines starved for fuel? At that point, an airliner pretty
much flies as well as a rock.

There have been a few instances of aircraft running out of fuel at
altitude:

Gimli Glider (landed lafely)
Ethiopian 767 (landed near beach in ocean, many survivors)
Air Transat 330 (ran out of fuel over atlantic, landed at Azores)

And as mentioned in another post, the BA 747 that had all engines
shut off due to volcanic ash, and it glided long enough for aircraft
to get out of cloud and with sufficient speed for them to be able to
restart engines.

In all instances, the planes were in controlled flight with minimal
instruments still functional despite having no engines.

One question that was not asked for this particular incident:

Knowing that they had an engine out, would they have changed the
route to one that is more "ETOPS" with shorter distances between
usable landing strips ?

Or is the route from LAX to LHR sufficiently dotted with airports
that it isn't a worry ? (I think that Winnipeg-Iqaluit may be the
longest stretch). After that, it is island hopping to Greenland,
Iceland, Ireland, England.

Dont forget the Delta 767 crew that - intentionally - shutdown both
engines mistakedly following an abnormal procedure. They shut off the
fuel to both engines when they were supposed to shut off the computers
for both engines. Since that debacle, Boeing MOVED the switches the
guys were supposed to turn off
from the pedestal to the overhead panel. When we get newbies in
Training, we
refer to those switches as the Delta switches.

?? these, presumably, are the 767 equivelant of the EECs?

Bertei
Old February 28th, 2005, 04:17 AM
Capt 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

"Service Tech"
gy.com:

"Capt 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC" wrote in
message ...

When decision making in an airplane becomes a democracy, we'll give
you your opinion, till then, shuddup siddown strapin hangon. You paid
for a ride, nothing more.

I had to chuckle on that one. Good Answer.

Bweawhahwhahhwhahwhahwh
!

Slurp!

Bertie

tanks

I am BillGatus of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assim
[General Protection Fault]

Old February 28th, 2005, 04:22 AM
Capt 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

"Capt 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC"
:

nobody wrote:

"Dave C." wrote:
[...]

yep.. I think its EECs on the -67 too, EEC's and ELCs' on some of our -57's
which are a mix of Republic, EA and our own.

Old February 28th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Bertie the Bunyip

"Capt 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC"
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

"Service Tech"
gy.com:

"Capt 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC" wrote in
message ...

When decision making in an airplane becomes a democracy, we'll give
you your opinion, till then, shuddup siddown strapin hangon. You
paid for a ride, nothing more.

I had to chuckle on that one. Good Answer.

Bweawhahwhahhwhahwhahwh
!

Slurp!

Bertie

tanks

Guns.,

Bertei

http://www.usenet.com

Old February 28th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Bertie the Bunyip

"Capt 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC"
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

"Capt 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC"
:

nobody wrote:

"Dave C." wrote:
[...]

.. Yeah, pretty much standard RR protection, bu tI haven't even doen the
gound bits for th e76 yet. I'm hoping to dodge the bullet there and go back
to my old machine before that becomes neccesary!

http://www.usenet.com