studying at airport

Old November 9th, 2007, 11:06 AM posted to rec.travel.air
JA_Moran

Default studying at airport

when I was in college, I would often go to the airport with my
briefcase, go through the security station then back into the gate area
sit and do my homework or study at night. The library closed at either
10pm or midnight but the airport is open 24 hours.

the airport is air conditioned, had restrooms and there was a place to
get snacks if I wanted something to eat or drink. Sometimes late at
night you can get discounts on stuff too.

also if I got tired of sitting in one place or a cramp in my legs, I
could get up and walk around, or go watch the planes.

I'll admit that this was before anyone and everyone was thought of as a
possible "terrorist" and if you needed to type a paper, you took out
your portable Smith-Corona or used an IBM Selectric vs using a laptop
or computer word processor.

I have to admit that before there were laptops and "personal" computers
people had to think more for themselves. Now, if the computer screen
says, it must be right when in fact it may not be....
Old November 9th, 2007, 04:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

JA_MORAN wrote:

[...]

Are you as "smart" as you sound?

I don't recall many people traveling with typewriters in the pre-laptop
days. When I worked for IBM, I do remember bringing a luggable PS/2,
which had orange character on the display, through airport securtiy
around 1991.

I remember the confusion at security before that, when I carried one of
the first portable CD players on the market. It was boombox style.
Old November 9th, 2007, 06:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Justin Case[_3_]

mrtravel wrote in
:

I don't recall many people traveling with typewriters in the
pre-laptop days. When I worked for IBM, I do remember bringing a
luggable PS/2, which had orange character on the display, through
airport securtiy around 1991.

I recall travelling (not by air) with the infamous "Portable" IBM
2741.
You simply wouldn't believe the size and weight of that beast. :-)

Reminded me of the Army attaching several handles to a Jeep so they
could call it a "Portable Jeep".

Old November 9th, 2007, 07:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air
StephanieM

If I was going to do this, we will negate that airport parking does
cost money, how many seating areas are before security. While I work
for an airline, I have never seriously considered hanging around at
the airport for any amount of time. I also have access to a airline
loung, and most business lounges it still doesn't make we want to hang
out there.

Old November 10th, 2007, 11:37 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On 9 Nov, 19:05, StephanieM wrote:
If I was going to do this, we will negate that airport parking does
cost money, how many seating areas are before security. While I work
for an airline, I have never seriously considered hanging around at
the airport for any amount of time. I also have access to a airline
loung, and most business lounges it still doesn't make we want to hang
out there.

Its a bit like taking your laptop to work in a UN refugee camp just
for the hell of it.. I don't see the
appeal. Mind you, at least UN refugee camps don't have the CNN
Airport Network

Old November 15th, 2007, 01:55 AM posted to rec.travel.air
JA_Moran

never had a problem finding a place where I could park for free and walk
or take shuttle into the terminals. (circa 1980)

also it was not hard to find a quiet place in a corner someplace
about the only noise I had was when the janitorial crews came around

I had to put my briefcase through the x-ray but that was it. No one ever
questioned my portable computer or HP calculator. I had an HP-41C, one
of the expensive engineering calculators.

the airport was open 24 hours, is air conditioned and had a 24 hour deli

always been a night person, even now, I work nights as a systems
engineer. I handle things when they go bump in the night. Night time
here is day time on other side of the world.

JOHN

Old November 16th, 2007, 01:19 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Nov 14, 7:55 pm, JA_MORAN wrote:

I had to put my briefcase through the x-ray but that was it. No one ever
questioned my portable computer

Ahh, yes. Portable computers in 1980. The most portable of 1980 was
24lbs.
Old November 16th, 2007, 09:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Nov 15, 9:54 pm, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:
Jim Davis wrote:
On Nov 14, 7:55 pm, JA_MORAN wrote:

I had to put my briefcase through the x-ray but that was it. No one ever
questioned my portable computer

Ahh, yes. Portable computers in 1980. The most portable of 1980 was
24lbs.

I was going to go and weigh my Orborne. But that had to be a year or 2
later. I think the K Pro was after 80 as well.

Here's a "Blast from the past"
http://www.oldcomputers.net/
Old November 23rd, 2007, 06:55 AM posted to rec.travel.air
JA_Moran

actually, I had an HP-41C, one of those fancy expensive programmable
calculators complete with printer, card reader and extra mamory.
Although it had a one line LCD display it could run complex programs and
qualifies as a computer.

The HP was great for doing integrations, titration calculations, and
Physics and force calculations

JOHN