Travel with encrypted hard drive

Old November 8th, 2007, 07:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
pindborg

Default Travel with encrypted hard drive

Hi

I wil visit China in a couple of week and I need to know if I can take
a laptop with encrypted hard drive along? Does anyone know a link for
the rules of doing this?

Best regards

Erik

Old November 12th, 2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air
PTravel[_1_]

"pindborg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I wil visit China in a couple of week and I need to know if I can take
a laptop with encrypted hard drive along? Does anyone know a link for
the rules of doing this?

Best regards

Erik

No link necessary.

China doesn't care what's on your hard drive. On your return to the U.S.,
however, you might have your laptop inspected or even seized by DHS.

Old November 12th, 2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air
PTravel[_1_]

"Larry in AZ" wrote in message
.. .
Waiving the right to remain silent, "PTravel"
said:

"pindborg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I wil visit China in a couple of week and I need to know if I can take
a laptop with encrypted hard drive along? Does anyone know a link for
the rules of doing this?

Best regards

Erik

No link necessary.

China doesn't care what's on your hard drive. On your return to the
U.S.,
however, you might have your laptop inspected or even seized by DHS.

My laptop wasn't even looked at when returning from Shanghai about two
years
ago.

DHS doesn't check all laptops, but there have been a number of reports of
inspection and even seizure of personal laptops. I've read about them over
at flyertalk.com. Do a search on "laptop seizure" if you'd like to see
them.

Personally, I've never had a problem with U.S. Customs, but I've found these
reports rather disturbing.

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
with all the privileges that this entails."

Old November 20th, 2007, 01:18 AM posted to rec.travel.air
dgs[_5_]

Chilly8 wrote:

That is one reason to use Evidence Eliminator on your hard drive, before
passing through U.S. Customs, to be sure that anything you don't know
about, that might get you into trouble, cannot be recovered in any
forensic examination. I use it, before attempting any travel into the
USA. This program defeats ALL forensic examinations.

Once again, Chillblain, you prove to have a grand vacuum where your po'
sad li'l brain never was. The thread ain't about ELIMINATING data, you
dimwitted fool; it's about travelling with an ENCRYPTED drive.

You really got fed an oversupply of stupid pills when you were young.