Money Belt Recommendations?

Old April 30th, 2005, 03:13 PM
robert stephens

Default Money Belt Recommendations?

Hello!

Planning to start travelling a bit more than usual as a tourist in the
next few years (trips to NYC and Rome). Planning on getting a money belt
based on a variety of suggestions (I know some travellers don't use
them, but I plan to). I know it will not be used as a place to store the
daily needed money, but more of the 'body safe'.

With that in mind, does anyone who uses these regularly have suggestions
for specific models? Looking briefly through Google there were
recommendations for the one from Rick Steves, from AAA, and from
TravelSmith. I'm looking for the good mix of functional (keeps things
safe) and comfortable.

Thanks,

Robert
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Scott Howard

In rec.travel.usa-canada robert stephens wrote:
Planning to start travelling a bit more than usual as a tourist in the
next few years (trips to NYC and Rome). Planning on getting a money belt
based on a variety of suggestions (I know some travellers don't use
them, but I plan to). I know it will not be used as a place to store the
daily needed money, but more of the 'body safe'.

Do you intend to be wearing a normal belt most of the time, or not?

My personal prrference is for something like
http://www.letravelstore.com/MB40024.htm (the one I have isn't Eagle
Creek, and the zip is on the top rather than the side, but same concept).
It slips onto your normal belt, and then sits under your jeans/etc.
From a comform point of view I generally forget it's even there.
Safety-wise someone would need to somehow remove your real belt in order
to take it. You can also relatively easily take it out of your pants
wihtout removing it from the belt, which makes it very easy to access it
without having to totally remove it.

The only catch is that if you're wearing shorts or anything else without a
belt then it simply doesn't work. In these cases I normally use a neck
pouch like http://www.letravelstore.com/MB1243.htm

I don't use the belt-style pouches like
http://www.letravelstore.com/MB40020.htm as I find them uncomfortable.

But that's just me

Scott.

Old April 30th, 2005, 05:28 PM
GG

wrote:
Planning to start travelling a bit more than usual as a tourist in the
next few years (trips to NYC and Rome). Planning on getting a money belt
based on a variety of suggestions (I know some travellers don't use
them, but I plan to). I know it will not be used as a place to store the
daily needed money, but more of the 'body safe'.

Do you intend to be wearing a normal belt most of the time, or not?

My personal prrference is for something like
http://www.letravelstore.com/MB40024.htm (the one I have isn't Eagle
Creek, and the zip is on the top rather than the side, but same concept).
It slips onto your normal belt, and then sits under your jeans/etc.
From a comform point of view I generally forget it's even there.
Safety-wise someone would need to somehow remove your real belt in order
to take it. You can also relatively easily take it out of your pants
wihtout removing it from the belt, which makes it very easy to access it
without having to totally remove it.

The only catch is that if you're wearing shorts or anything else without a
belt then it simply doesn't work. In these cases I normally use a neck
pouch like http://www.letravelstore.com/MB1243.htm

This "hidden pocket" type is also our preferred type. In the event you wear
pants/trousers or shorts without a belt, you can just use a large safety pin
and attach the pouch to the inside of the waistband. I've done that many
times since most of my current pants no longer have belt loops. I have also
pinned the pouch inside a skirt or pants pocket on occasion.

GG

Old April 30th, 2005, 06:19 PM
nightjar

"robert stephens" wrote in message
. ..
Hello!

Planning to start travelling a bit more than usual as a tourist in the
next few years (trips to NYC and Rome). Planning on getting a money belt
based on a variety of suggestions (I know some travellers don't use them,
but I plan to). I know it will not be used as a place to store the daily
needed money, but more of the 'body safe'.

With that in mind, does anyone who uses these regularly have suggestions
for specific models? Looking briefly through Google there were
recommendations for the one from Rick Steves, from AAA, and from
TravelSmith. I'm looking for the good mix of functional (keeps things
safe) and comfortable.

I always keep some high denomination notes, as an emergency reserve, in one
made by Orvis. It is an ordinary-looking leather belt with a zipped pocket
built into the inside face. It is comfortable enough for me to use it for
everyday wear when not travelling.

Colin Bignell

Old April 30th, 2005, 08:09 PM
poldy

Yeah, don't use one.

Too drippy.
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:09:16 -0700, poldy wrote:

Yeah, don't use one.

Too drippy.

Agreed. Having to get half undressed to take out some cash is
undignified, and they stink after a while. I pity the poor hostel
workers that have to put those sweaty disgusting things in the safe.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Király

In rec.travel.usa-canada Deep Foiled Malls wrote:

Agreed. Having to get half undressed to take out some cash is
undignified,

That's why your daily cash is in your front pocket. The rest of your
cash, your passport, airline tickets, and other items that would leave
you screwed if you lost them are safely in your money belt.

and they stink after a while.

Wash 'em. Regularly.

I pity the poor hostel workers that have to put those sweaty disgusting
things in the safe.

Me too. That's why I always have mine on when I travel.

I've heard from way too many people who have had passports, cash, airline
tickets, lifted from their pockets or snatched from their bags. The only
way mine are going missing is if a gang of thieves undoes my pants and
takes my money belt away by force. And how often does that happen?

K.