Dentist in Thailand?

Old August 12th, 2007, 09:26 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Petra Hildebrandt

Default Dentist in Thailand?

Hi,

I am thinking about having some dental work done in Thailand (or
Malaysia), starting with tooth cleaning, repair of fillings, and maybe
reproduction of a partial prothesis (which costs an arm and a leg in my
part of the world) - any insights on dos and don'ts, costs etc?

TIA,

Petra

--
Mein Foodblog - http://www.foodfreak.de
Texte & Rezensionen - http://texte.webhafen.de
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:28 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Petra Hildebrandt" kirjoitti
viestissä:1i2qa8f.15pvpwg1m38hs0N%usenet@webhafen. de...
Hi,

I am thinking about having some dental work done in Thailand (or
Malaysia), starting with tooth cleaning, repair of fillings, and maybe
reproduction of a partial prothesis (which costs an arm and a leg in my
part of the world) - any insights on dos and don'ts, costs etc?

Have the work to be done in Germany.

Old August 12th, 2007, 07:55 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_5_]

In article , Petra
Hildebrandt says...

I am thinking about having some dental work done in Thailand (or
Malaysia), starting with tooth cleaning, repair of fillings, and maybe
reproduction of a partial prothesis (which costs an arm and a leg in my
part of the world) - any insights on dos and don'ts, costs etc?

I had a bridge (to cover one missing tooth) done in 2000 by Lim dental
surgery in Malaysia. It's actually a chain of several dental surgeons in
Malaysia. The one I went to was in Petaling Jaya, a suburb of KL:

http://www.superpages.com.my/superho...geons/kelinik-
pergigian-lim-1064715.html

28A,Jalan Sultan ,1st floor,New townCentre,Next To Chartered Bank,
Petaling Jaya
46200 Selangor, Malaysia
Tel: 03-7956 9100

The cost in 2000 was 750 RM (= 158 Euro at the current exchange rate).
This is really peanuts if compared to the cost in Germany.

I remember the bridge did not perfectly fit initially, so they used the
drill to adjust it a bit, then they fixed it. It has worked fine ever
since (it's already 7 years by now) and I have never had problems.
--

Alfred Molon
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:28:00 +0300, Markku Grönroos
wrote:

"Petra Hildebrandt" kirjoitti
viestissä:1i2qa8f.15pvpwg1m38hs0N%usenet@webhafen .de...
Hi,

I am thinking about having some dental work done in Thailand (or
Malaysia), starting with tooth cleaning, repair of fillings, and maybe
reproduction of a partial prothesis (which costs an arm and a leg in my
part of the world) - any insights on dos and don'ts, costs etc?

Have the work to be done in Germany.

I wonder why you say that?

If you've had some bad experience with dentists in Thailand then why
not say so and provide details? That would at least add some value to
the thread which Petra can use to make a more informed decision.

Chris
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:30 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti
om...
wrote:

"Petra Hildebrandt" kirjoitti
viestissä:1i2qa8f.15pvpwg1m38hs0N%usenet@webhafe n.de...
Hi,

I am thinking about having some dental work done in Thailand (or
Malaysia), starting with tooth cleaning, repair of fillings, and maybe
reproduction of a partial prothesis (which costs an arm and a leg in my
part of the world) - any insights on dos and don'ts, costs etc?

Have the work to be done in Germany.

I wonder why you say that?

If you've had some bad experience with dentists in Thailand then why
not say so and provide details? That would at least add some value to
the thread which Petra can use to make a more informed decision.

Eh? I have never gotten any dental treatment in Thailand. I am not in
position to evaluate the quality of treatment in that part of the world (or
any part of the world). I had a health insurance in mind. As a German she
should be cared after in Germany in my opinion. I am certain she is fully
insured for malpractice or any possible complications. Obviously South East
Asian dentists have liability insurances but if their covers are even a bit
similar to many car insurances in many parts of the world, I wouldn't count
on them. National policies typically don't cover corrective medical
treatment caused by malpractice abroad.

Some countries have bilateral agreements on medical treatment abroad. For
instance some British patients suffering from cardio vascular illnesses
needing urgent operation have been sent to India for the necessary
treatment. Naturally in this case the patients are insured as if they had
been treated in Britain.

Old August 13th, 2007, 05:49 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_5_]

In article , Markku
Grönroos says...

Eh? I have never gotten any dental treatment in Thailand. I am not in
position to evaluate the quality of treatment in that part of the world (or
any part of the world). I had a health insurance in mind. As a German she
should be cared after in Germany in my opinion. I am certain she is fully
insured for malpractice or any possible complications.

It's not the patient who needs to be insured for malpractice, but the
doctor. In any case the health insurance here in Germany doesn't cover
all dental procedures, in fact only a tiny subset are covered. The rest
has to be paid for, which is why people like Petra are interested in
having this procedure done abroad.
--

Alfred Molon
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:10 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Alfred Molon" kirjoitti
s.com...
In article , Markku
Grönroos says...

Eh? I have never gotten any dental treatment in Thailand. I am not in
position to evaluate the quality of treatment in that part of the world
(or
any part of the world). I had a health insurance in mind. As a German she
should be cared after in Germany in my opinion. I am certain she is fully
insured for malpractice or any possible complications.

It's not the patient who needs to be insured for malpractice, but the
doctor. In any case the health insurance here in Germany doesn't cover

You cut the lines in which I explained this.

all dental procedures, in fact only a tiny subset are covered. The rest
has to be paid for, which is why people like Petra are interested in
having this procedure done abroad.

As I said I advice against it. Perhaps some simple operations could be done
in Asia like scaling the teeth (a procedure which hardly is so expensive in
Germany). All acute problems naturally too. By cover you mean the excess of
the factual treatment. This isn't exactly what I had in mind. You are still
fully covered by insurance in Germany but not so in the South East Asia. I
mean when things are not going as planned.

Old August 13th, 2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_5_]

In article i, Markku
Grönroos says...
You are still
fully covered by insurance in Germany but not so in the South East Asia. I
mean when things are not going as planned.

Right, the German insurance does not cover treatments in SE Asia, but
even in Germany it does not cover everything. You would go to SE Asia
for expensive dental procedures not covered by the health insurance in
Germany.
--

Alfred Molon
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Alfred Molon" kirjoitti
s.com...
In article i, Markku
Grönroos says...
You are still
fully covered by insurance in Germany but not so in the South East Asia. I
mean when things are not going as planned.

Right, the German insurance does not cover treatments in SE Asia, but
even in Germany it does not cover everything. You would go to SE Asia
for expensive dental procedures not covered by the health insurance in
Germany.

Naturally I cannot say I know better than you do about the design of the
German health care system. However, I am inclined to believe that when
corrective health care is needed, in Germany you are provided this by some
small fee. I assume you don't pay according to the general dental rates (in
the case it would be in the province of a dentist) but to the national
health care policy. This can be quite crucial difference. Let's assume the
worst: you lose your ability to work and hence your capacity to support your
family is more or less reduced. I am certain in Germany the limit for
liability is very high in such a case while there is a chance that the
insurance of a Thai or Malaysian dentist is very poor in this respect (I
don't say that in such a case national health care insurances wouldn't
provide any help but I find a high risk that it would be less extensive).
Naturally we face risks all the time. However, dental health is so vital
that I would avoid risks as far as possible. Similar problem we have in
Finland. Most adults (especially in larger municipalities) must rely on
private clinics. You pay fully on the treatment and afterwards you can claim
a refund from the national insurer. It should be possible for everyone to
attain dental services in "public clinics and fees" but this is pretty much
a theoretic alternative for many.

Old August 13th, 2007, 08:12 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_5_]

In article i, Markku
Grönroos says...
[...]

It is possible that in Finland the health insurance covers much more
than the one in Germany. In Germany unfortunately more complex things
such as tooth replacement are not covered by the standard health
insurance or just by a very small percentage.

Another thing, you are assuming a highly unlikely worst case scenario.
We are not talking about a brain tumor operation. It's unlikely that
replacing teeth would cause permanent disability or even death. I might
also mention that medical service, at least in Malaysia but perhaps in
Thailand as well, is of high quality. Also, as a foreigner in SE Asia
you would obviously choose experienced doctors with a proven track
record.
--

Alfred Molon