Durban and/or Richard's Bay Accommodation Suggestions

Old August 25th, 2007, 07:08 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

Default Durban and/or Richard's Bay Accommodation Suggestions

Hi all,

First, thanks to all who responded to my query about automobile pedals
(and links to the history of their placement).

We will be arriving in SA from US (Dulles) at the end of October. Our
travel goal is a safari camp in KwaZulu-Natal. As such, we will pass
through Johannesburg and finish this leg of the trip in Durban or
Richard's Bay to get over the jet lag. This will put us in around
late afternoon or early evening on a Friday (probably in Durban as
there are more flight options to there).

We need to be in the camp in the afternoon of the Sunday following
(certainly before evening's meal). I don't regard that as an
aggressive schedule as far as driving from Durban. I've already
"traveled" the road courtesy of Google Earth and it seems a distinctly
simple route. However, I don't want to do it in jet lag mode and a
good hotel suggestion for Friday and Saturday nights would help. I
like port cities (Cape Town is also on the itinerary) and
accommodations near the port, but not necessarily a luxury hotel on
the Golden Mile would be nice. We have a friend flying in separately
(a week later) and a Durban Hotel that is generally recognizable by
name and centrally located would help us find each other. Our taste
runs toward "interesting" in the sense of what the locals would find
nice ("Old World Charm," excuse the cliché, comes to mind).

Similar suggestions for hotels in Richard's Bay would be nice, and we
would still need a Durban suggestion when our friend arrives.

Further, we will need a car, and picking one up at the airport seems
to command a price that goes well beyond recommendations I've seen
mentioned here in this group. I can well anticipate the weekend may
limit our options for renting a car. Some education as to how the
savvy Afrikaner goes about taking care of this would also be
appreciated. Our plan is we take a taxi from the airport to the
hotel, crash hard, tour the area in a relaxed fashion (no "must-do"
itinerary) Saturday, and then off to KwaZulu Sunday.

Regards,
Richard

Old August 27th, 2007, 08:32 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Hi Richard,

I'm a bit confused about your question. Are you flying into
Johannesburg and then driving to KwaZulu Natal? Or are you flying into
Johannesburg, then flying to Durban and only then renting a car to
drive to the safari camp?

Marc
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

On Aug 27, 12:32 am, Marc Lurie
wrote:
Hi Richard,

I'm a bit confused about your question. Are you flying into
Johannesburg and then driving to KwaZulu Natal? Or are you flying into
Johannesburg, then flying to Durban and only then renting a car to
drive to the safari camp?

Marc

Hi Marc,

The order of flying is Dulles-Johannesburg-Durban being the most
likely (as there are far more flying opportunities given the
connections in Johannesburg) or possibly Dulles-Johannesburg-Richard's
Bay (I give this a slim chance as there are fewer flights out of
Johannesburg to there following our hour of arrival).

We arrive Friday afternoon or early evening on the last leg of the
flights to readjust and then Sunday we will travel by car to the
safari camp, arrival there before sunset. The camp is in the Phinda
Private Game Preserve. Following the camp's stay of a week, then we
are definitely off (or back) to Durban to meet our friend for a couple
days there.

My focus is on a good hotel in Durban as a hub for meeting that friend
and as a base for a few side trips; but I am also trying to cover all
bets with suggestions for accommodations for Friday in Richard's Bay
IF the connection opportunity arises.

I hope that is clearer, I've researched this group's activity going
back several years and recognize your name and other's as being
helpful and reliable.

Regards,
Richard

Old August 28th, 2007, 09:47 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:29:57 -0700, wrote:

My focus is on a good hotel in Durban as a hub for meeting that friend
and as a base for a few side trips; but I am also trying to cover all
bets with suggestions for accommodations for Friday in Richard's Bay
IF the connection opportunity arises.

I hope that is clearer, I've researched this group's activity going
back several years and recognize your name and other's as being
helpful and reliable.

Regards,
Richard

Hi Richard,

Firstly, thank you for the compliment. :-) I think I've been part of
this NG for about 12 years now. That is quite scary when I think back.

I'm no expert on Durban, but I have been there many times and quite
like the place. The past few years has seen somewhat of a decline in
the inner city of Durban, and many of the formerly glorious hotels are
now not in a good way.

If I were you, I'd find a small hotel or B+B somehwre probably north
of Durban, and then use a hired car to get around. The harbour area of
Durban is really unremarkable apart from the uShaka Marine World which
is magnificent, and well worth a visit for the day. Be weary of the
area around the harbour/Point Road at nights, as it can be quite
dangerous.

There are some lovely beach areas north of Durban if that's your
thing. (La Lucia, Umhlanga, Umdloti etc.) which are within easy reach
of Durban.

Personally (and I must stress that this is not a particularly well
informed opinion), I wouldn't stay at one of the hotels on the golden
mile except for the very pricey, high-end ones. I'd far rather find a
nice B+B or a small family run hotel somewhere.

I have seen this webiste:
http://www.wheretostay.co.za/kzn/dm/...rban-north.php
which might be useful.

Try http://www.tempestcarhire.co.za for a reliable, well-known car