Guangzhou to Shatin - Border Crossing - Shatin Hotels

Old April 8th, 2009, 02:29 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Default Guangzhou to Shatin - Border Crossing - Shatin Hotels

For a late afternoon trip, what is the best way to travel from Guangzhou to
Shatin (New Territories)? Would train be preferred over bus? There are six
of us, so would minivan and driver be cost effective? It seems you must
take the train all the way to Kowloon (Hung Hom Station). Is that true?

If you do this trip by bus or train, what happens at the border and how long
does it take to get through immigration, customs or both? For example, does
the train stop and everyone disembark at the border or does immigration come
onboard the train and clear passengers?

Anyone stayed at either the Royal Park Hotel or the Hyatt Regency in Shatin?
If so, which is better and why? I noticed the Hyatt Regency is adjacent to
the MTR.

Thanks in advance of any posts

rg

Old April 8th, 2009, 04:07 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Apr 7, 6:29*pm, "Sharkbait" wrote:
For a late afternoon trip, what is the best way to travel from Guangzhou to
Shatin (New Territories)? *Would train be preferred over bus? *There are six
of us, so would minivan and driver be cost effective? *It seems you must
take the train all the way to Kowloon (Hung Hom Station). *Is that true?

If you do this trip by bus or train, what happens at the border and how long
does it take to get through immigration, customs or both? *For example, does
the train stop and everyone disembark at the border or does immigration come
onboard the train and clear passengers?

Anyone stayed at either the Royal Park Hotel or the Hyatt Regency in Shatin?
If so, which is better and why? I noticed the Hyatt Regency is adjacent to
the MTR.

Thanks in advance of any posts

rg

Train, of course. There is a Shatin station.
Old April 9th, 2009, 03:07 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

PeterL wrote;

Train, of course. There is a Shatin station.

Do you know what train number that might be? I cannot seem to find a
schedule that shows all the stops for trains other that the straight through
train. How about immigration and customs? Do you clear or process at
either end of the line or at the border between the SAR and China? Thanks
in advance.

rg

Old April 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Apr 8, 7:07*pm, "Sharkbait" wrote:
PeterL wrote;

Train, of course. *There is a Shatin station.

Do you know what train number that might be? *I cannot seem to find a
schedule that shows all the stops for trains other that the straight through
train. *How about immigration and customs? *Do you clear or process at
either end of the line or at the border between the SAR and China? *Thanks
in advance.

rg

I don't know the train #. You clear immigration at the border.
Another option is to take a bus. You clear immigration faster with
the bus, no need to get off the train and walk through and reboard.
However, I don't know if there is a bus that goes directly to Shatin.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:24 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

The trip from Guangzhou East Railway Station to Hong Hum station Kowloon
(Hong Kong) was dead simple. We purchased our train tickets at the hotel
for the express train from Guangzhou East Railway station to Hong Hum the
day before. The next day, we took a taxi to the hotel to the train station.

If you have lots of baggage when you arrive at Guangzhou East, you will be
surrounded by intimidating porters as you exit the taxi. Ignore them and
take the escalator directly up to the departure lounge (the third or fourth
floor) if you already have tickets. It will be clearly marked.

The waiting lounge is clean and restricted only to those who have tickets.
As you enter with all your baggage, which will also be screened, you will
wait for train and placards are changed periodically to announce the next
departure. There are plenty of venues to buy snacks, other foods and drinks
while you wait for the train. You can leave the waiting area freely, because
you will not officially exit China until just before your train departs.
The exit procedure is efficient and quick.

Once on board the train, relax. 90-120 minutes later, depending the train,
you will arrive at Hong Hum, Hong Kong, where you will once again clear Hong
Kong immigration. This exercise is quick. Once you clear immigration, you
will exit the hall to catch buses, taxis or whatever transport has been
arrange. Again, this was all very efficient.

rg