How Many Days?

Old June 26th, 2009, 03:40 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Default How Many Days?

We have 18 nights to spend in Cambodia. Any recommendations for adding or
deleting days off the following itinerary:

Enter Siem Reap - 5 nights

Phnom Penh - 3 nights

Sihanoukville - 4 nights

Kampot - 3 nights

Kep - 3 nights

Exit - Kep-Phnom Penh-Ho Chi Minh on 19th day.

The only change I've considered making is one less night in Phnom Penh and
maybe one more night in Sihanoukville. We've never been to any of these
places, so it's hard to say how much time any of these places are worth.
Thanks in advance.

rg

Old June 26th, 2009, 04:54 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt[_2_]

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 02:40:27 GMT, "Sharkbait"
wrote:

We have 18 nights to spend in Cambodia. Any recommendations for adding or
deleting days off the following itinerary:

Enter Siem Reap - 5 nights

Phnom Penh - 3 nights

Sihanoukville - 4 nights

Kampot - 3 nights

Kep - 3 nights

Exit - Kep-Phnom Penh-Ho Chi Minh on 19th day.

The only change I've considered making is one less night in Phnom Penh and
maybe one more night in Sihanoukville. We've never been to any of these
places, so it's hard to say how much time any of these places are worth.
Thanks in advance.

I've only ever visited Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville, so
can't comment on the other places.

I certainly wouldn't add any more time to Sihanoukville. Even 3 nights
there would be quite enough already. If it were me, I'd spend more
time in Phnom Penh.

Chris
Old June 26th, 2009, 05:12 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Peter Webb[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I also have only visited PP, Sianoukville and Siam Reap.

PP is a pretty town. But 3 days/nights should be enough, there isn't that
much to see and must of what there is is unrelentingly depressing - although
everybody should visit Tuol Sleng concentration camp and it is a very
intense experience, its not like you would want to visit it twice or even
spend a day there with a picnic lunch.

Sianoukville on the other hand is a very *mellow* place indeed, reminiscent
of Koh Samui 40 years ago, a very pleasant place indeed to relax.

Old June 26th, 2009, 05:48 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Peter Webb wrote;

PP is a pretty town. But 3 days/nights should be enough, there isn't that
much to see and must of what there is is unrelentingly depressing -
although everybody should visit Tuol Sleng concentration camp and it is a
very intense experience, its not like you would want to visit it twice or
even spend a day there with a picnic lunch.

Sianoukville on the other hand is a very *mellow* place indeed,
reminiscent of Koh Samui 40 years ago, a very pleasant place indeed to
relax.

Arriving in the afternoon of the first day, I thought 1.5 days in Phnom Penh
might not be enough. By the time we reach Sihanoukville, we would have been
on the road for nearly a month, so some additional days of relaxation were
factored in for the end by the beaches. I guess part of the point of being
on vacation should be for some rest and relaxation, so that is what's
planned for Sihanoukville, Kampot, and Kep.

Kampot and Kep are relatively close to each other. I wonder if picking a
hotel or guesthouse inbetween would be worthwhile for five or six days.

To be correct, is it Sihanoukville or Sianoukville? Thanks in advance.

rg

Old June 26th, 2009, 05:54 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
gernot almen[_3_]

Enter Siem Reap - 5 nights

Phnom Penh - 3 nights

Sihanoukville - 4 nights

Kampot - 3 nights

Kep - 3 nights

Exit - Kep-Phnom Penh-Ho Chi Minh on 19th day.

What are your interessts? Night life? Beach life? Wild life? Tempels? Recent
history?

Kampot and Kep are close together, Kep just 30 min by moto away. I'd do one
of them (probably Kep) as daytrip.

How about getting off the beaten to death track at least a little? Wild east
in Ratanakiri?

Or Battambang? It's is a nice place to spend a night or three, reachable
from SR on a very nice boat trip and with good conections back to PP and SV.

Or if you want to relax a little bit away from beaches and torists, stop
over from BB to PP in Compong Chnang(sp?).

Old June 26th, 2009, 12:33 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt[_2_]

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:12:48 +1000, "Peter Webb"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Right. Sihanoukville is wonderfully unpolluted and the beaches are
quite nice. It depends entirely on where each individual traveler's
interests lie.

Chris
Old June 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
FG

Sharkbait wrote:

Kampot and Kep are relatively close to each other. I wonder if picking a
hotel or guesthouse inbetween would be worthwhile for five or six days.

To be correct, is it Sihanoukville or Sianoukville? Thanks in advance.

rg

yes, they're not far from each other. you might want to stay in Kampot
and hire the moto [with driver] to Kep.

5 or 6 days?! okay if you want to do nothing but chill out. if i like
a place i also just stay put and relax.

i was first in Kep then Kampot by moto. nothing in Kep so nice to chill
out here. no electricity after sundown. i didn't sleep that night in
Kep. guards with ak47's and torches patrolled my guesthouse until dawn!
both places are kind of eerie.

it's Snookyville
Old June 28th, 2009, 03:05 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Peter Webb[_2_]

Or Battambang? It's is a nice place to spend a night or three, reachable
from SR on a very nice boat trip and with good conections back to PP and
SV.

I got the boat to Battambang.

I asked the person in the hotel what there was to do in Battambang. He said
visit the killing fields. I said I had already done this in PP. He said the
Battambang killing fields were "much bigger and better than the one in PP -
many more people died in the Battambang killing fields".

I got the bus out the next day. Cambodia is a wonderful country, but too
many of their tourist attractions consist of piles of skulls ...

Old June 28th, 2009, 03:31 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Peter Webb wrote;

I got the bus out the next day. Cambodia is a wonderful country, but too
many of their tourist attractions consist of piles of skulls ...

I agree. With no disrespect, we have no desire to view the bones of all
those who died at the hands of Pol Pot.

rg

Old June 28th, 2009, 09:49 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
pom[_2_]

Peter Webb a écrit :

Or Battambang? It's is a nice place to spend a night or three,
reachable from SR on a very nice boat trip and with good conections
back to PP and SV.

I got the boat to Battambang.

I asked the person in the hotel what there was to do in Battambang. He
said visit the killing fields. I said I had already done this in PP. He
said the Battambang killing fields were "much bigger and better than the
one in PP - many more people died in the Battambang killing fields".

I got the bus out the next day. Cambodia is a wonderful country, but too
many of their tourist attractions consist of piles of skulls ...

Hello,
...and you bypassed a very interesting trip to Wat Banaan, the
fishmarket with the vats for fishsauce production and many things more!
Sometimes it's worthwhile to form ones own opinion or, at least look it
up in a guide book.
The "nice" boat trip can be rather nervetickling, depends on the
fighting spirit of your pilot... During wet season, it is not uncommon
that boats lose their way and arrive after a whole day of searching. But
it is fun!
pom