Beachfront Hotel Phan Thiet/Mui Ne to Phu Quoc

Old June 17th, 2009, 12:27 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Default Beachfront Hotel Phan Thiet/Mui Ne to Phu Quoc

At the risk of receiving a lot of spam, I am wondering if anyone has had a
particulary enjoyable stay at a beachfront location along one of Vietnam's
southern beaches. I am particularly interested in the Phan Thiet area but
maybe some undiscovered areas either north or south of the touristed enclave
of Phan Thiet and/or Mui Ne.

I've been to to Phu Quoc island and stayed at both the Sasco Blue Lagoon and
Saigon Phu Quoc resort. Both were enjoyable stays but both very busy.

My budget would be up to $100 USD per night, which is quite a bit for
Vietnam but inflation has driven prices up dramatically. Unfortunately, I
must travel during peak season in the month of December. Thanks in advance.

rg

Old June 17th, 2009, 01:00 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Alfred Molon wrote:

Have you considered a Cambodian or Thai beach, or is that not an option?

I will be in Siem Reap just prior to Vietnam, so Cambodia would be an
option. My concerns would be safety and easy transportation. Yes, Cambodia
would be an option. Recommendations? Thanks in advance.

rg

Old June 17th, 2009, 09:40 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Sharkbait says...

I will be in Siem Reap just prior to Vietnam, so Cambodia would be an
option. My concerns would be safety and easy transportation. Yes, Cambodia
would be an option. Recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Haven't been on a beach in Cambodia, but my personal impression is that
the beaches in Vietnam are unspectacular, while the beaches in Cambodia
should be better.

Personally, if I were you, I'd be looking at one of those islands off
Cambodia's coast. Not sure which one has tourist facilities - perhaps
you might research a bit or somebody who has been there might jump in.
The beach in Sihanoukville is unimpressive based on what I've been told.

Perhaps check he
http://www.cambodia-beach.com/

Security should not be a problem in Cambodia's tourist areas.
Transportation should also not be a problem (my guess, if there are
tourist resorts there must also be an easy way to get there).
--

Alfred Molon
Old June 19th, 2009, 01:44 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

So at Alfred's suggestion, we are changing our previous plans to go to Mui
Ne, Vietnam for an extended stay in Cambodia after we depart Siem Reap.
There seems to be much to see in southeast Cambodia from Sihanoukville over
through Kampot and/or Kep. We could use some help with a few questions:

1. With 7-10 days after Siem Reap, is Kampot or Kep worth two or three
nights, especially if our final destination is Ho Chi Minh City?
2 What would be the best entry point into Vietnam from Cambodia approaching
from the west if our destination is HCM?
3. Can one pass through the border at Ha Tien, Vietnam? I ask because I am
not sure that one can enter from all checkpoints along the border. I am
pretty sure Chau Duc would be a possibility?
4. After leaving Kampot, what would be the best way of transport to one of
these crossing - bus or car?
5. There are several hundred kilometers of travel between Siem Reap and
Sihanoukville. Is Phnom Penh worth a night or two to break up the trip or
should we head straight for the beach?
6. If we go straight to Siahnoukville from Siem Reap, what mode would be the
most expeditious (jet from SR to PP and the car and driver to
Sihanoukville?). Would express buses be better when you consider all the
time before and after airport checkins? Thanks for your responses in
advance.

rg

In article , Sharkbait says...

Old June 20th, 2009, 07:00 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Sharkbait says...
5. There are several hundred kilometers of travel between Siem Reap and
Sihanoukville. Is Phnom Penh worth a night or two to break up the trip or
should we head straight for the beach?

I liked Phnom Penh. See my photo gallery:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Cambodia/PhnomPenh/
--

Alfred Molon