Hypothetical PSA question

Old December 8th, 2003, 02:14 AM

Default Hypothetical PSA question

Would the PSA allow a "cruise to nowhere" for 7 days? A ship just going off
the coast for 20 miles and then making slow circles. Since you wouldn't be
visiting a port...you wouldn't need a passport. And, since costs
[fuel/transportatuion] would be lower, wouldn't such a cruise be feasible.
Or am I "missing something".

--jim

Old December 8th, 2003, 02:29 AM
HDawson228

Might be dificult to fill the ship with people taht really don't want to go
anywhere. Why not a land resort?
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Mike Cordelli

Why sail at all then, just board a ship and sit at the dock rocking back and
forth. I think they will have a hard time filling a cruise that doesn't
have destinations.

ink.net...

Old December 8th, 2003, 01:35 PM
mrtractor

Here are some reasons for you. Duty free shopping and gambling. Control over
the weather. No port charges.
Any questions?
MrT---------loves sea days but doesn't want a whole week of
them.............
"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
. com...
Why sail at all then, just board a ship and sit at the dock rocking back

and
forth. I think they will have a hard time filling a cruise that doesn't
have destinations.

ink.net...

Old December 8th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Mike Cordelli

And we all know how the gambling trips to nowhere have done, are there even
any of them still sailing?

"mrtractor" wrote in message
Here are some reasons for you. Duty free shopping and gambling. Control

over
the weather. No port charges.
Any questions?
MrT---------loves sea days but doesn't want a whole week of
them.............
"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
. com...
Why sail at all then, just board a ship and sit at the dock rocking back

and
forth. I think they will have a hard time filling a cruise that doesn't
have destinations.

ink.net...

Old December 8th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Charlie Funk

Would the PSA allow a "cruise to nowhere" for 7 days?

While the PSA might, the Jones Act won't. It requires that non-U.S. flagged
vessels boarding passengers in a U.S. port call in a non-U.S. port before
allowing those passengers to disembark in the same or another U.S. port.

--
Charlie Funk
Just Cruisin' Plus
"CupCaked" wrote in message

Would the PSA allow a "cruise to nowhere" for 7 days? A ship just going

off
the coast for 20 miles and then making slow circles.

With respect to the "PSA" part of your question, I don't see why not.
I think most people who enjoy those sea days also rather enjoy
arriving someplace instead of going around in circles; hence,
transatlantic crossings are a favorite for many (me).

Karen

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews/pic.html

Old December 10th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Lee

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message .com...
Why sail at all then, just board a ship and sit at the dock rocking back and
forth. I think they will have a hard time filling a cruise that doesn't
have destinations.

Usually cruise ship docking areas are rather unattractive...at least
the ones I've seen. There's often times a mix of freight and passenger
traffic, industry/factory buildings, etc. Not something I'd like to
look at for a few days.

Being out at sea, on the other hand, is beautiful - the chance to see
dolphins swimming along side the ship, nights with skies filled with
stars usually obscured by the lights of civilization, the breeze,
spotting a distant island silhouette, marvelling at the turquoise -
aqua - cobalt blue water.

Lee
Old December 10th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Mike Cordelli

But if the reason is to save money, think of how cheap a cruise would be if
they didn't have to sail anywhere?

I still prefer port stops.