National Anthem Traditions?

Old August 27th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Go Fig

Default National Anthem Traditions?

In watching the Olympics and specifically the Gold Medal presentation
to the Italian Igor Cassina (classy kid) on the High Bar... he placed
his hand over his heart during the playing of Italy's National Anthem.

Is this the tradition in Italy? I don't recall ever seeing it while I
was there... but I don't think I was ever at an event where it was
played.

For a U.S. Citizen, placing your hand over the heart is part of the
official code.

jay
Thu Aug 26, 2004

Old August 27th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Go Fig

In article , Wolfgang Schwanke
wrote:

Go Fig wrote in :

he placed
his hand over his heart during the playing of Italy's National Anthem.

Is this the tradition in Italy?

Could be he was mimicking US athletes.

Could be, but I doubt it from this individual... it was all he could do
to control his emotions.

jay
Thu Aug 26, 2004

I'm not aware this gesture is
tradition anywhere outside the US.

Regards

Old August 27th, 2004, 08:21 AM
D.A.L.

For a U.S. Citizen, placing your hand over the heart is part of the
official code.

And I thought the official code of the US was to stick your nose in
everywhere, even where you're not wanted.

Old August 27th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Nils Zonneveld

Go Fig wrote:

In watching the Olympics and specifically the Gold Medal presentation
to the Italian Igor Cassina (classy kid) on the High Bar... he placed
his hand over his heart during the playing of Italy's National Anthem.

Is this the tradition in Italy? I don't recall ever seeing it while I
was there... but I don't think I was ever at an event where it was
played.

For a U.S. Citizen, placing your hand over the heart is part of the
official code.

Inge de Bruin did exactly the same when the Wilhelmus was played for
her. It is very unusual to do such a thing here at home, I think people
would regard it a bit presumptuous and eccentric.

But at this particular event, I think the mimicked US custom gave Inge a
way to control her emotions, to give herself a posture, as no specifics
about which posture to assume during the performance of the Wilhelmus
are prescribed.

Nils

Old August 27th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Tim Challenger

wrote:

Go Fig wrote in :

he placed
his hand over his heart during the playing of Italy's National Anthem.

Is this the tradition in Italy?

Could be he was mimicking US athletes.

Could be, but I doubt it from this individual... it was all he could do
to control his emotions.

jay
Thu Aug 26, 2004

I'm not aware this gesture is