More stupidities

Old September 8th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Miguel Cruz

"a.spencer3" wrote:
"Jacques Guy" wrote:
The funniest was when some African newspaper wrote about
"pile bourkinaïque" instead of "pile voltaïque",
Bourkina-Fasso being now the name of what was "Haute-Volta"
(or Upper Volta). I look forward to when the Hebrides will
be called "Old Vanuatu"--since "Vanuatu" is the name for
the "New Hebrides".

And then we start getting York as 'Old New Amsterdam' ............ :-))

Seems to me you might as well simplify the equation and just call York
Amsterdam.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 30 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Brian M. Scott

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:13:13 -0700, Jacques Guy
wrote in
in
sci.lang,rec.travel.europe:

Harlan Messinger wrote:

It turns out I was mistaken before. I could have sworn it was like KïB, with
a diaresis over the "i", but I see now that there's a Russian-style "i"
(resembling a backwards "N") before the diaresis "i". So I guess it is
/kyiv/.

If I remember correctly the "backward N" of Ukrainian is the
"bI" of Russian (i.e. ery), and its i (which looks like an i)
is the Russian i ("backward N"), that is, it palatalizes the
preceding consonant.

The article in WWS gives [i] for the 'backwards N', [i] for
i, and [ji] for ï. Using C' for palatalized C (C any
consonant), it says that /C'i/ is written Cï, while for
/Ci/ the 'backwards N' is used.

Brian
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Paul J Kriha

a.spencer3 wrote in message ...

"Jacques Guy" wrote in message
Igor Sklar wrote:

Indeed. Haven't you heard that Kiev is now "Kyiv" (try to pronounce
this), The Groyne is "La Corunna", Leghorn is "Livorno"

The funniest was when some African newspaper wrote about
"pile bourkinaïque" instead of "pile voltaïque",
Bourkina-Fasso being now the name of what was "Haute-Volta"
(or Upper Volta). I look forward to when the Hebrides will
be called "Old Vanuatu"--since "Vanuatu" is the name for
the "New Hebrides".

And then we start getting York as 'Old New Amsterdam' ............ :-))

Surreyman

:-)

Which reminds me... There is a synagogue in Prague built in 1270
(BTW the Europe's oldest remaining Jewish house of worship) called
Staronova Synagoga (Old-New Synagogue). Originally it was called "New"
or "Great" Shul to distinguish it from an older house of prayer which did
not survive. In the 16th century, when other new synagogues were established,
it became known as the Staronova Synagoga (Old-New Synagogue).

Paul JK

Old September 9th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Ruud Harmsen

Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:19:57 -0700: Jacques Guy :
in sci.lang:

Let's all spell it "KNIB" and see if we succeed in starting
a new trend. After all, since English speaker manage to
pronounce "gaol" as "jail", they shouldn't have any
trouble adapting to KNIB or MOCKBA, or even ...
CANKT HETEPCbYPF! (did I spell that right? My eyes go
all funny looking at it)

No, CANKT HETEPbYPF, without the s. The s comes from German or Dutch,
like the name itself of course.

--
Ruud Harmsen - http://rudhar.com
Old September 9th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Harlan Messinger

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 11:00:09 -0600, Hatunen wrote:

"Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
"Why they changed it I can't say
"People just liked it better that way"

The Might Be Giants ?

("They ...") Their version was a cover. The Four Lads released it in 1953.