Where to exchange currency in Paris?

Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:44 AM
Dave Smith

Brett wrote:

exchange fees or do they depend on the bank?

How do I find cash machines to exchange currency while in Paris?

Just walk down the street. Where there are banks there are ATMs.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:55 AM
jcoulter

"Brett" wrote in :

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
link.net...

"Brett" wrote in message
Where is the best place to exchange money in Paris? I've heard
airports

can
be expensive. I'll exchange US Dollars for Euros.

Also, should the exchange be done in the US before I leave?

Thanks,
Brett

I take a few dollars as backup and I will need some when I return
anyway. To do's: Notify your bank you are leaving the country, and
make sure that your ATM is a 4 digit PIN number. I raised the daily
rate on withdrawals. Notify your Credit Card company that you will be
in Europe and for how long.
Stops some of the Security stoppage of your card that you will have
to straighten out to use again. There are ATM's at the airport, is
the best rate on exchange you will get. CDG has a couple. I also
booked a shuttle to my hotel before I left. A little more cost than
the train and taxi combo, cheaper than taxi only, but more
comfortable after a long flight. Bill

I'll be at CDG. How exactly did you go about booking the shuttle?

Also, where do I look to find the cash machines in CDG? What are the
exchange fees or do they depend on the bank?

How do I find cash machines to exchange currency while in Paris?

Thanks,
Brett

It depends on which terminal you are using. If terminal 1 after clearing
customs you arrive in a hall dominated by a huge arrival/departure board
go clockwise around the ring that is CDG1 about 20 yards you will see
some car rentals desks on the right and an ATM on the left.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:56 AM
jcoulter

"Brett" wrote in :

How do I find cash machines to exchange currency while in Paris?

Thanks,
Brett

there are ATMS at banks all over the city just like at home. Practically on
every corner.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 04:56 AM
Mxsmanic

Brett writes:

Where is the best place to exchange money in Paris? I've heard airports can
be expensive. I'll exchange US Dollars for Euros.

There's a place across from the Banque de France that is said to have
the best rates in town. Also, there is a small exchange place at the
back of the Galerie Claridge on the Champs-Élysées that supposedly has
pretty good rates.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 04:57 AM
Mxsmanic

Brett writes:

How do I find cash machines to exchange currency while in Paris?

ATMs are on every street corner, almost literally.

Some banks also have automated currency exchange machines outside.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 04:57 AM
Mxsmanic

Old January 3rd, 2005, 06:02 AM
Miguel Cruz

In article , Brett wrote:
Also, where do I look to find the cash machines in CDG? What are the
exchange fees or do they depend on the bank?

The built-in fee is about 1% and here is no avoiding that. This is better
than the 4% or moer you'll be paying with travelers checks, either as an
explicit commission or built into the exchange rate.

If you use an ATM operated by a bank (rather than in a convenience store or
something), then the only other fees you will pay are those levied by YOUR
bank. Therefore it is a good idea to check with your bank before going. Many
banks charge no fees at all for foreign ATM withdrawals; many more do, up to
$5 in particularly obscene cases. Even at $5, though, you're still better
off using the ATM than cash or travelers checks as long as you withdraw a
substantial amount.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:25 PM
Earl Evleth

in article , Brett at wrote on
3/01/05 0:07:

Where is the best place to exchange money in Paris? I've heard airports can
be expensive. I'll exchange US Dollars for Euros.

Don`t use the post office for cash dollar to euro exchanges, they give
poor rates. There are a lot of regular "changes" in Paris, most give you
about the same deal. I sometimes buy dollars at the Change near the Metro St
Placide on the rue de Rennes since it is just across from my regular bank. I
never use my bank for cash exchanges, they are not as good. Normally, if I
am going to the US I don't want to have to look for a money machine there
right away. it took me a while to realize that in the US, the ATM machines
are in the super markets, practically only in the super markets! Here
any post office will have ATM machines and all banks. Although they
are rare, watch out fo "louche" types hanging around. Bums usually
don`t. I have rarely had problems but it can happen. Just look around
to see if anybody is lurking (except those waiting to use the machine next).
Thefts are very rare, except for portable phones.

I don`t know what the current buy-sell spread is now, maybe 10 centimes.
But the dollar is running about 1.36 to the euro so a reasonable buy-sell
spread might 10 centimes. That means that you can get euros at 1.41 or so
dollars per euro. i.e. more expensive than the daily bank rate. Your ATM
should do better than that however. Wired transfers of large amounts are
subject to a smaller spread. On a $100,000 transfer even a 1 centime
difference runs close to $1,000 dollars. So one is more careful with
this level a transfer than $1,000 where the difference is only $10.

Earl