motorhome v. car and motel

Old January 7th, 2005, 04:00 AM
Phil

Default motorhome v. car and motel

Hi All,
We're doing a two week holiday on the South Isle in April and am
wondering which is better, to hire a motorhome to give us more
flexibility in travel arrangements or, a car which will mean that we
will have to make certain destinations at night. Is there anybody out
there that can give me some indication as to which is the best way to
go? Are you able to park anywhere in a motorhome? What is the price
difference in fuels? Any information would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Phil.
Old January 7th, 2005, 06:10 AM
A Mate

Obviously personal preference plays a part in such decisions - but.

The facts a
1. Motels in NZ (except for some in Auckland) have fully equipped kitchens;
and are reasonable in price - typically about $70NZ to $80NZ per unit for a
reasonable standard, except in cities and peak periods - when it can rise to
$100NZD.
2. You can rent a car from a 'second string' car hire firm (Ace, AFR etc -
all good quality cars with free roadside service if required etc) for about
$40NZ per day, inclusive of insurance and unlimited kms. More for shorter
hires in peak periods, less for longer hires off peak.
3. Motorhomes vary enormously in price - but $150NZ per day is the absolute
minimum for a 2 berth.
4. Fuel is expensive in NZ - and Motorhomes use about twice the quantity of
a car for any given distance.
5. Motorhomes are big, slow and awkward.
6. You can park motorhomes almost anywhere, but there are limitations in
cities and towns for overnight stays.

The other factors relate to 'convenience' as you perceive it - and that's
totally a matter for you (and your family). In motels you pack and unpack
each time you change. Most motels have pools, laundries, cable TV -
sometimes games rooms. We carry 'frigeables' in a cool pack/Esky which we
buy at the first Warehouse we come across (usually between $10 and $15NZ).
We have travelled with 2 children in the past - but now it's just ourselves.

I guess it's obvious we prefer motels; but although we always cost
motorhomes - we have never used one - so obviously are not objective!

Phil - a word of 'warning'. It's not a good idea to reveal your actual
e-mail address in usenet posts. The spammers 'harvest' addresses from
usenet - and you'll be bombarded with spam - advertising penile enhancements
and such necessaries, in large number!!

Good Luck!

om...

Old January 7th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Jack

"Phil" wrote in message
om...
Hi All,
We're doing a two week holiday on the South Isle in April and am
wondering which is better, to hire a motorhome to give us more
flexibility in travel arrangements or, a car which will mean that we
will have to make certain destinations at night. Is there anybody out
there that can give me some indication as to which is the best way to
go? Are you able to park anywhere in a motorhome? What is the price
difference in fuels? Any information would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Phil.

I'm going to say A Mate has no clue.

We hired a 6 berth camper for under NZ$120pd, from one of the largest camper
hire in NZ - it was brand new - so no excuses for the cheap price.

Now, our experience. We hired in Sept (may have infuenced price v April) and
travelled South Island, southern half before our time ran out due to other
bookings ffor the camper and we then transfered to a car for the remaining
time for the norther half of the SI.

Fuel - worked out cheaper for the camper as it was diesel which is way
cheaper in NZ than petrol, so it was cheaper per km than the falcon by a
noticeable margin.

Kitchen - almost fully equiped in the camper - certainly all you need

Freedom - whatever it costs, even if in the long run for some obscure
reason, it was to cost more, you cannot put a price on the freedom a camper
gives you. This was the biggest thing we missed when we transfered to the
car. You pull into the most wonderful spot - mountains all around, perhaps a
gin clear lake nearby and you can wake up to that in the morning. In the car
we had to keep going to our next booked spot - because you need to book
ahead to ensure accommodation - which is not always that cheap.

Also beware that 3 star accommodation in NZ = 2 star in AU - despite tourism
being a huge industry, most NZ accommodation is of a lower standard that in
AU for the same star rating.

If hiring the camper, always go for a bigger one than you need. They are
manouverable and even if the comfortable cruising speed is lower than a
car - it makes it soooo much more relaxing and gives lots more opportunity
to see the sights. Besides, in most places in the South island you don't
want to go too fast anyway.

There is ample parking everywhere for campers, even in places like Dunedin
(the railway station).

We would never go the car option - having experienced both.

see http://www.reservationheaven.com/wik...20Descriptions
which is an account of travelling New Zealand in a camper

Old January 7th, 2005, 09:39 AM
A Mate

As I said - it's a personal choice!!!

Be sure it's well based on the REAL prices!!

Old January 7th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Dave Proctor

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 16:10:35 +1000, "A Mate"
wrote:

Phil - a word of 'warning'. It's not a good idea to reveal your actual
e-mail address in usenet posts. The spammers 'harvest' addresses from
usenet - and you'll be bombarded with spam - advertising penile enhancements
and such necessaries, in large number!!

So you have gone and repeated it in your reply. Nice move.

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/

Old January 7th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Frank Slootweg

wrote:

Phil - a word of 'warning'. It's not a good idea to reveal your actual
e-mail address in usenet posts. The spammers 'harvest' addresses from
usenet - and you'll be bombarded with spam - advertising penile enhancements
and such necessaries, in large number!!

So you have gone and repeated it in your reply. Nice move.

While it would indeed have been better not to do that, it normally
gives no added exposure. For technical reasons (NNTP XOVER command/data),
address-harvesters only harvest addresses from the From: line, not from
other header lines and not from the body. They *could* do it, but
real-life tests have shown that they don't.

--
Frank Slootweg, (ex) News Administrator

Old January 11th, 2005, 01:01 AM
hokiangafarmer hokiangafarmer is offline
Member

Location: hokianga best place in nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
Hi All,
We're doing a two week holiday on the South Isle in April and am
wondering which is better, to hire a motorhome to give us more
flexibility in travel arrangements or, a car which will mean that we
will have to make certain destinations at night. Is there anybody out
there that can give me some indication as to which is the best way to
go? Are you able to park anywhere in a motorhome? What is the price
difference in fuels? Any information would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Phil.
I would have to agree with amate, his/her advice reinforces what some guests that arrive at our farm say, many of whom do the motorcamper thing in the south island then hire a car in the north. A numbe rhave said they would never do the camper thing again, but would hire a car and just "wing It" in regards to accomodation, which is reasonable priced. The official tourism new zealand site may be worth a look www.newzealand.com