NZ trip questions

Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:41 AM
Iwona Maksymowicz

Default NZ trip questions

Hello,

I am planning a trip, some 5 weeks, to NZ Jan/Feb 2006.

It seems that the best time-saving options is driving. Can you guys help
with some recommendations for reliable car-rental companies? Or should I
maybe consider byuing a second-hand - I noticed a "backpackers car market"
on my LP map of Auckland, but unfortunately no practical advise as to how
well that works...

And the main question - can you recommend what to see? I know it sounds a
Really Stupid Question, but... What I am looking for are sights that are
unique NZ. I have seen fjords, mountains, geysirs, wineries, went whale
watching... And I am rather not the bungy-jumping type :-) I'd rather go
for the stunning views that are not necessarily a "must" but are stunning
anyway :-) Till now I figured out the Maori culture (is Rotorua the best
place for that?), kiwi houses, and some walks in the national parks
(something short and easy that's really worth doing, anybody has favourites
here?).

Sorry for this torrent of questions, I do hope somebody has some extra time
on their hands to help me work out my dream-holiday :-)

Thanks,
Iwona
Old September 2nd, 2005, 01:00 PM
Turan Fettahoglu

It seems that the best time-saving options is driving.
During my stay in NZ several years ago I did not drive myself, but took the
train or coach. This way you see the "real" NZ and meet more locals.
Moreover, NZ has left-hand traffic, which might be awkward if you are not
used to it. You just should know that coaches and trains might run only once
per day.

...sights that are unique NZ. I have seen fjords, mountains, geysirs,
wineries, went whale
watching...

What about Northland and the last 2000-year-old trees? Do not miss thermal
areas like Rotorua. There you can also get a glimpse into Maori culture at
Whakarewarewa. Fiordland (Te Anau, Milford Sound, Milford Track or Kepler
Track) also is a Must.

My route was Auckland - Kerikeri - Rotorua - Taupo - Wellington - Picton -
Christchurch - Dunedin - Te Anau - Alexandra - Christchurch - Wellington -
Auckland.

Have a nice journey
Turan

Old September 2nd, 2005, 01:23 PM
A Mate

Two good and reasonable car rental agencies a

http://www.hirecar.co.nz/

and

http://www.acerentals.co.nz/

We've used both and they are professional and reliable - and a lot cheaper
than the first rankers (Avis etc).

Old September 2nd, 2005, 03:05 PM
JohnM

In article , Iwona
Maksymowicz writes
[...]

Well, not really. Rotorua is worth going to, but I found it very
touristy. Northland with the treaty of Waitangi has a show at the Treaty
House that is less slick than Rotorua's. I saw shows at both places.

The best place for Maori culture is in fact the East Cape, which is
mostly unspoiled, so if you hire a car, drive around it in a few days
from Opotiki to Gisborne.

kiwi houses,

If you mean unique birds, then yes. In Auckland go to Tiritiri-Matangi
the bird sanctuary island where you can see all these rare birds roam
free and/or go to Stewart Island where you can see kiwis in the wild (at
night). Near Stewart Island is also Ulva island with equally fantastic
birdlife. Being a birdie myself, I did all three.

and some walks in the national parks
(something short and easy that's really worth doing, anybody has favourites
here?).

Well, the best one-day-walk is the Tongariro Crossing which is very
popular and starts from Taupo or Turangi. You go through a barren
terrain, climb up craters with the view of three volcanoes and then
descend through alpine vegetation and then bush. Highly recommended, you
can book buses that leave you at one end and pick you up from the other.

Everything else is longer really :-(

Sorry for this torrent of questions, I do hope somebody has some extra time
on their hands to help me work out my dream-holiday :-)

One more NZ-specific sight is Napier with its art deco town centre.
Unlike other cities you can find in Napier examples of all art deco
schools of architecture, European and American alike.

Oh, and Fiordland is a must however many fjords you may have seen. In Te
Anau you can also visit the glow-worm caves, much better and less
developed than Waitomo.

--
JohnM
Old September 2nd, 2005, 09:22 PM
Neil Raines

Car fairs (backpackers car market) can take too much of your time, and only
run on the weekends. If you want to buy then car auctions are your best deal
as much of the hastle is done by the auction company (for a fee, their
commission). Auckland has car auctions every day. Just buy a popular
japanese brand that will be easy to sell at the end of your holiday.

http://www.hammerauctions.co.nz/

http://www.turners.co.nz/

It seems that the best time-saving options is driving. Can you guys help
with some recommendations for reliable car-rental companies? Or should I
maybe consider buying a second-hand - I noticed a "backpackers car market"

Old September 6th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Iwona Maksymowicz

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 11:41:51 +0200, Iwona Maksymowicz wrote:

Hello,

I am planning a trip, some 5 weeks, to NZ Jan/Feb 2006.
cut

Thanks for all the tips! I think I now more or less know how to set this
trip...

Iwona
Old October 12th, 2005, 04:45 AM
travels

Hello. Have a look at www.stuff.co.nz . It is a link to most newspapers and
other links with a lot of NZ information. Are you planning equal time on
the south island as in the north? Both have lots to offer but my favorite
is the south island. Things to do? Wellington, try the red rocks seal
colony. Napier, the city center is the usual but try the wine country
because it's different there. Dunedin, try the train that goes into the
gorge. Visit the university. Tauranga, try the walk up the mountain.
Christchurch, try the Mt. Hutt bushwalk then go to Rakaia gorge and take a
jet boat ride. Go to the airmuseum and take a ride in a Tigermoth( I dare
you). Go to Wanaka and take a ride in a WWII airplane like a P-51, a T-6,
or get crazy in a Russian Yak. Out near Milford track. Go to the Chasm,
follow the road around the glaciers(talk about scenery!). Queenstown has
it all. West coast. From Greymouth spend the night at Formerly the
Blackball Hilton (long funny story about the name). Check out Miners beer
and the brewery. Up north spend the night at Karamea and The last resort.
Drive up the road to the ocean at the head of one of the walking
tracks(sorry can't remember the name). Nelson, Picton and Blenheim are
worthy of a good lookover. Really my best advise is have a chin wag (talk)
with any and all locals. They are great people. There is a bus line that
is related to the backpack crowd (sorry again the memory fails) it is a
great way to meet people from around the world. Cheers. Happy Travels.

Old October 12th, 2005, 05:57 PM
travels

Hello again. I forgot to ad that most New Zealand roads, especially in the
south, don't loop around like the roads in the states do. In that I mean
if you take the road from Te Anau into Milford sound, then want to go to
Queenstown, you must backtrack the same road. It's a good idea to plan
stops to and from for places you want to see. The roads are very good,
mostly 2 lane, but many bridges go down to 1 lane and may share a train
track as well. Needless to say the train has right of way otherwise it's
pretty much first come first cross. You must yield to traffic already on
the bridge, and usually one side of a bridge or the other will have a type
of yield sign for that side over the opposite side. Traffic except in
cities is very light. There were times we would travel 110K (about 62mph,
their max limit) in one direction and not see another vehicle for an hour,
particulary in the far south, and central south. The west coast is the wet
coast while the east coast can be very dry in comparison. It's kind of
like the big island of Hawaii. Hilo is wet Kona is dry. Cheers. Travels.

Old October 13th, 2005, 12:14 AM
JohnM

In article outtravelli
ng.com, travels writes
I forgot to ad that most New Zealand roads, especially in the
south, don't loop around like the roads in the states do.

And which states are those, might I ask?
--
JohnM
Old October 13th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Scotty

"travels" wrote in message
lkabouttravelling.com...
Hello again. I forgot to ad that most New Zealand roads, especially in the
south, don't loop around like the roads in the states do. In that I mean
if you take the road from Te Anau into Milford sound, then want to go to
Queenstown, you must backtrack the same road. It's a good idea to plan
stops to and from for places you want to see. The roads are very good,
mostly 2 lane, but many bridges go down to 1 lane and may share a train
track as well. Needless to say the train has right of way otherwise it's
pretty much first come first cross. You must yield to traffic already on
the bridge, and usually one side of a bridge or the other will have a type
of yield sign for that side over the opposite side. Traffic except in
cities is very light. There were times we would travel 110K (about 62mph,

Travelling at 110k will get ya a fine of around $320 plus demerit points!
The max limit in NZ is 100.
(mind you nothing is illegal until your caught!)