E-mail and Internet access in Australia?

Old June 4th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Karl

Default E-mail and Internet access in Australia?

What is available? What cost. I will be there from the USA for 6 weeks.

Mostly in the Corio (near Melbourne) area.
Old June 4th, 2004, 10:53 PM
David Bennetts

"Karl" wrote in message
What is available? What cost. I will be there from the USA for 6 weeks.

Mostly in the Corio (near Melbourne) area.

You'll find internet/email access commonly available in tourist areas, and
often through public libraries. Some major shopping centres also offer it -
usually moderately priced.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old June 5th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Glen

"Karl" wrote in message ...
What is available? What cost. I will be there from the USA for 6 weeks.

Mostly in the Corio (near Melbourne) area.

Internet access is just multiplying in Australia in public places.Backpacker areas have price wars.
Cheers
Glen
Old June 6th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Alan

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 20:55:10 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

in article , Glen at
wrote on 6/5/04 7:28 AM:

"Karl" wrote in message
What is available? What cost. I will be there from the USA for 6 weeks.

Mostly in the Corio (near Melbourne) area.

Internet access is just multiplying in Australia in public places.Backpacker
areas have price wars.
Cheers
Glen

Some states (not sure if Vic is one) have free access through public
libraries, etc. SA does (or at least did in '01)

In wandering around Victoria last Christmas I was always able to get
access even in small towns. The first place to check is the local public
library, which is often free or may charge a nominal fee. The main
problem with them is limited opening hours and queues. Next try the
local "tourist information centre" which usually has a pay (cheap)
terminal. Finally, in the larger towns there will be a multitude of
internet cafe's. By Oz standards, Geelong is a major city; I'm sure the
local library in Corio will meet the need but there'll be lots of
internet cafe's in the town centre.

I found it much easier and cheaper to get access here than overseas in
the US or Europe last year, not just because I'm a local, we just have
more outlets.

Cheers, Alan
Old June 7th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Karl

Thanks for good info., especially Corio, where I will be.

How about Tasmania, where I will also be for 2 weeks?

Internet there easy too?

Thanks for your help

Karl in USA

"Alan" wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 20:55:10 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

in article , Glen at

Old June 8th, 2004, 08:13 AM
alfred

Alan wrote:

By Oz standards, Geelong is a major city; I'm sure the
local library in Corio will meet the need but there'll be lots of
internet cafe's in the town centre.

Actually, you would think this would be the case, but when I was in
Geelong for a copuple of days this summer, the most striking thing was
the absence of internet cafes. I did find one open daytime hours only
(this was at night) and was told of library access, but apart from that
it was impossible to get access to the net in Geelong. I thought that
there was a business opportunity ripe for the picking, so maybe someone
has done so. One place I didn't check out, since I was staying at
Queenscliff, was the backpacker(s).

Old June 10th, 2004, 02:26 AM
Karl

THAT is very high.

Here I can get unlimited for $20.00 a month and hi-speed cable for $40.00
month, unlimited.

Does AOL exist there? I generally hate it, but it may be a cheaper
alternative.

"Traveller" wrote in message
Generally expect to pay $4-8ph, but id you are there for six weeks (or

even
2 in Tas), you'll soon become aware of the cheapest/best speed service
providers
.

Matt
Reservation Heaven

Old June 10th, 2004, 03:20 AM
AlmostBob

By Oz standards, Geelong is a major city;

Geelong::AKA::Sleepy Hollow, last one up turn out the street lights

sorry couldnt help myself,

Old June 10th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Alan

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 23:20:30 -0300, "AlmostBob"
wrote:

By Oz standards, Geelong is a major city;

Geelong::AKA::Sleepy Hollow, last one up turn out the street lights

sorry couldnt help myself,

Yup, can't argue. It's still a major city (100,000+) down here :-)

Cheers, Alan