Europe-Closed on Sunday

Old March 26th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Earl Evleth

Default Europe-Closed on Sunday

If you travel in most of Europe you will notice that
shopping malls, or more likely hypermarchés are closed
on Sunday. There are sporting events, however

The Pope just said----

Pope Says Sundays for God, Not Sports

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope John Paul ( news -web sites ) on Friday said
Sunday should be a day for God, not for secular diversions like
entertainment and sports.

"When Sunday loses its fundamental meaning and becomes subordinate to a
secular concept of 'weekend' dominated by such things as entertainment and
sport, people stay locked within a horizon so narrow that they can no longer
see the heavens," the pontiff said in a speech to Australian bishops.

John Paul criticized the "culture of the 'here and now,'" urging Church
leaders to "lead men and women from the shadows of moral confusion and
ambiguous thinking."

The 83-year-old pope also encouraged Christians, especially young people, to
remain faithful to Sunday Mass, saying the secular culture was undermining
family life.

****

Of course one of the 10 commandments says something about keeping the Lord`s
day for the Lord.

In France, the pressure to keep stores closed on Sunday is from the unions
and not the churches, however.

It does keep Sunday a slower day than the other days of the week however, a
needed rest from consuming too much or too often. It at least gives the
pocket book a rest.

Earl

Old March 26th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Marie Lewis

Please note that this does not apply to the UK. Almost all supermarkets,
shopping malls and many, many other stores are open on Sundays, with the
exception of Easter Sunday.

Old March 26th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Bob Fusillo

Or Venice, at least.
W.C. Fields spent a weekend in Philadelphia, but it was closed.
rjf

Old March 27th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Marie Lewis

"Bob Fusillo" wrote in message
Or Venice, at least.
W.C. Fields spent a weekend in Philadelphia, but it was closed.
rjf

If you want to see "closed on Sundays" try Holmes County, Ohio, an area
popular with the Amish.

Once, we were reduced to eating in McDonald's there, because those
restaurants which did open on Sundays, closed by 3 p.m.

Old March 27th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Darkginger

"Earl Evleth" wrote in message

If you travel in most of Europe you will notice that
shopping malls, or more likely hypermarchés are closed
on Sunday. There are sporting events, however

The Pope just said----

Pope Says Sundays for God, Not Sports

snip

Him and Ian Paisley both. Strange bedfellows!

Jo (the assimilated, thank you Padriag!)

---

Old March 27th, 2004, 01:23 PM
/

Earl Evleth wrote:

It does keep Sunday a slower day than the other days of the week however, a
needed rest from consuming too much or too often. It at least gives the
pocket book a rest.

It does make Saturday a faster day though. When the city of Rotterdam
decided to allow shopping on Sunday on of the results was that the big
frenzy that Saturday used to be became a lot less hectic.

A ban for shopping on Sunday means that I have to do all shopping on
Saturday. In Switzerland it is even worse with shops closing at 4 PM.
which to me means less time to shop around for deals, and sometimes
having to do my shopping in a town 35 km away where some stores do open
on Sunday...

So in my experience, keeping everything closed on Sunday doesn't lead to
more rest for my pocket book, nor for my nerves...

Krist

Old March 27th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Go Fig

In article ,
wrote:

Earl Evleth wrote:

It does keep Sunday a slower day than the other days of the week however, a
needed rest from consuming too much or too often. It at least gives the
pocket book a rest.

It does make Saturday a faster day though. When the city of Rotterdam
decided to allow shopping on Sunday on of the results was that the big
frenzy that Saturday used to be became a lot less hectic.

A ban for shopping on Sunday means that I have to do all shopping on
Saturday. In Switzerland it is even worse with shops closing at 4 PM.

Germany too, but there is more and more exceptions to the law. I've
seen a huge expansion over the years for the Sunday sales law. Its
meant to be items needed for travel, they sell PlayStations now... as
well they should have the right to, whenever they wish.

jay
Sat Mar 27, 2004

Old March 27th, 2004, 02:24 PM
The Reid

Following up to Earl Evleth

Pope Says Sundays for God, Not Sports

a fair number of the shops in UK are open on Sunday. As for the
Popes opinions they are as valid as his opinions on
contraception.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old March 27th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Jim Ley

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:24:03 +0000, The Reid
wrote:

Following up to Earl Evleth

Pope Says Sundays for God, Not Sports

a fair number of the shops in UK are open on Sunday. As for the
Popes opinions they are as valid as his opinions on
contraception.

Or table-tennis.

Jim.
Old March 27th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Marie Lewis wrote:

"Bob Fusillo" wrote in message

Or Venice, at least.
W.C. Fields spent a weekend in Philadelphia, but it was closed.
rjf

If you want to see "closed on Sundays" try Holmes County, Ohio, an area
popular with the Amish.

Once, we were reduced to eating in McDonald's there, because those
restaurants which did open on Sundays, closed by 3 p.m.

It is true that Sunday meals out tend to be a lunch thing there. FFM