First Time on Safari to Africa Questions

Old December 13th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Hans-Georg
Michna writes
On 10 Dec 2004 10:12:35 -0800, "Joel"
wrote:

Day 1 Leave US For Nairobi
Day 2 arrive Nairobi. Overnight in Nairobi.
Day 3 Transfer to Samburu National Reserve - Flight on Air Kenya
Day 3-6 Elephant Hill Camp. A unique place. Pricey but I feel it is
worth it for the experience.
Day 6 Morning (Transfer back to Nairobi on return Air Kenya flight)
Day 6 -7 Two nights at Lake Nakura
Day 8 Morning - Drive to Masa Marai
Day 8 - 4-5 nights in the Masa Marai area. I'd like to work the whole
triangle if possible.Perhaps 2 nights in two separate lodges.
Day 13 - Morning Game drive - Transfer to Nairobi. Evening flight home
to US

Joel,

sounds excellent to me. Also the idea to change lodges in Masai
Mara for a total of 5 nights is not bad.

I don't know the Elephant Hill Camp, but usually you get what
you pay for.

Hans-Georg

Hans Georg,
I think Joel means Elephant Watch camp? It is run by Iain and Oria
Douglas Hamilton. They have the Save the Elephant project at Samburu.
It certainly is pricey Joel but of course they are the elephant
experts. We found Samburu lodge to be well run.
Pat

--
Pat Anderson
Old December 13th, 2004, 07:05 PM

I often wondered who go on minibus safari convoys and where they come
from!

Honestly, I cannot think of a worse way to see Africa. Seven people in
a pop-up minibus traveling in convoys on a packaged tour. Incredible,
especially when I know how much they paid for that experience!

It's even worse when people promote these kinds of trips on these
boards. What are their motives? How much did they learn about Africa
from behind the windows of their minibuses? Who in Africa will
remember their nameless faces after they leave?

Old December 13th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Liz

In message . com
wrote:

Honestly, I cannot think of a worse way to see Africa.

You already told us you don't have much understanding - now you lack
imagination too!
I hate to get personal like this, but you have surely noticed in your life
that everybody's different!

I can think of plenty of ways which would be 'worse for me': for example
haven't you ever seen overlanders?
But people often post to this group asking about overlanding trips, and
other people post back enthusiastically. It works for them. or more likely,
it works for their budget.

I personally would rather pull my hair out than climb Kili or do rough
camping with chores, but plenty of people enjoy doing these things, and post
here with advice when others ask about them.

Your way may well be best for you (though you can't really know, since you
haven't tried the other ways), which is fine.

You can learn lots about Africa, or at least the country you're in, even in
a minibus, by talking to the driver/guide and asking questions: even when I
was on the Kuoni trip, the pre-trip documentation encouraged us to talk to
the guide about wildlife and culture. You can talk to the lodge/camp staff
when it's quiet, you can talk to the naturalist on walks or in the bar
afterwards.

It's even worse when people promote these kinds of trips on these
boards. What are their motives?

Your newsreader must be getting posts I'm not getting.
I haven't seen people promoting any trips here recently.
Apart from a few in the past from SA and Morocco in particular, there's very
little 'trip promotion' he it's against the group charter, and is
unwelcome.

Liz
--
Virtual Liz now at
http://www.v-liz.com

Old December 13th, 2004, 08:33 PM

You are always promoting Kuoni, Liz. And WWJE.

You are promoting packaged travel that send hordes of people on safaris
on suspect itineraries at inflated prices while hiding behind this
insurance thing.
You think it is a great thing. Fine. Just don't promote it.

Old December 13th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:46:02 +0000, Pat Anderson
wrote:

In message , Hans-Georg
Michna writes

I don't know the Elephant Hill Camp, but usually you get what
you pay for.

I think Joel means Elephant Watch camp? It is run by Iain and Oria
Douglas Hamilton. They have the Save the Elephant project at Samburu.
It certainly is pricey Joel but of course they are the elephant
experts. We found Samburu lodge to be well run.

Pat,

oh, do the Hamiltons run a tourist business? I didn't know that.

Samburu Lodge (sometimes called Samburu Game Lodge) is also my
favorite in the area. Samburu Serena is a good backup. Larsen's
is a bit strange, and I don't know Intrepids very well, but
they're most likely also good.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.