First Time on Safari to Africa Questions

Old December 15th, 2004, 01:25 AM
Joel

Considering I started this thread I'd like to jump in a bit and offer
my take on this.

I normally like independent travel for several reasons. I am a
semi-professional photographer and I dislike package tours. I like the
freedom of exploring an area on my own timetable and setting my own
itinerary. For the most part this works fine for a US national park
strategy or for independent city touring. There are numerous lodging
choices for every accommodation and in most cases it's quite easy to
pick up and leave should your choice prove poor. Should one choose to
camp, the logistics are easy to put together. Depending upon where you
are the most dangerous thing to contend with from a wildlife
perspective is bears. There is a wealth of material available from
public and private sources on the national parks. Renting a car is
simple, roads are well paved and marked and are not dangerous. In some
ways I understand Eben's approach because I too have a hard time
understanding why people take packaged tours to national parks in the
U.S. since it is so easy to do by yourself.

On the flip side though I am finding Africa much harder to deal with as
an independent traveler in reference to safaris. Here is why:

1. Airfares from the US are prohibitively expensive. Yes there are
consolidators that one can use but most people do not go to or
understand how to use them. Package tours do offer great arifares.
There is a company called UTG (US based) that has airfare with their
packages for $1000 no matter what the date. That is almost impossible
for the average person without bein connected.

2. Self driving is really an option for many of us. The majority of
Americans, myself included, do not drive standard shift. Furthermore I
think that a 5 hour drive from Nairobi to the Mara that requires a 4WD
vehicle is beyond the driving skills of 90% of the population. Sure we
own Jeep Cherokees, most are never taken off road. I'd be reluctant to
do so without more experience.
3. Independent camping is not an option. No need to expand on this.
4. Lodging is limited. The available choices are expensive and you may
not necessarily get a better deal once you add in extras like game
drives, etc...
5. Finding a guide company is problematic. Go on KATO's web site and
you will find many companies that offer safari. Most follow the same
itineraries. I've e-mailed several of them asking about customer
itineraries. I've received a response from one. Several of the
e-mails bounced back from the addresses that were provided on their Web
Sites. I can tell you that doesn't inspire much confidence.

I have appreciated both Eben's and Liz's input to my original inquiry.
I've found Liz's site very helpful in learning more about the areas
that I'd like to travel in. Travel is a very personal thing for
different people. Everyone's goals are different. While frustrating
for you Eben I suspect that the tourist in that mini-bus is just as
thrilled as you are to be there and isn't interested in mingling with
the locals. I'm also spending a lot of time doing research. Personally
I enjoy it, the average vacationer likes to be presented with a package
deal. I've also read many of Liz's post and while she does mention
several companies most are in direct response to someone asking (and to
be fair Eben, you did ask Liz) and she doesn't push or promote it. I
would have no problem mentioning a company I have done business and
that I was happy with their service. She is doing the same.

For myself I'm working with someone now on a quote for a private
safari. Hopefully it will fit into my budget. If not, I have no
problem joining a tour and treating it as a reconnaissance trip for a
later date. To each his own.

Old December 15th, 2004, 04:12 AM
Greg Pankhurst

I often wondered who go on minibus safari convoys and where they come
from!

Honestly, I cannot think of a worse way to see Africa. Seven people in
a pop-up minibus traveling in convoys on a packaged tour. Incredible,
especially when I know how much they paid for that experience!

It's even worse when people promote these kinds of trips on these
boards. What are their motives? How much did they learn about Africa
from behind the windows of their minibuses? Who in Africa will
remember their nameless faces after they leave?

Who gives are rats arse ? I'm fed up with travellers who have delusions
of grandeur about how much better the way they choose to travel is than
what everyone else is doing.

As long as they had a good time and felt they got value for money, good
for them. The fact that you don't particularly care for that sort of
travel is irrelevant.

Old December 15th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Marc Lurie

Hi Joel,

I think you will find that South Africa offers much the same
experience (from a driving, lodging, convenience perspective.
Obviously, the animals and environment are totally different) as you
would have in an American wildlfe reserve.

The roads are excellent, lodging is plentiful, English is widely
spoken, self-drive is definately an option, and automatic transmission
cars are readily available.

All you have to know about the ettiquette of game viewing is:
1) Drive slowly. There are speed limits in all parks,but if you stick
to the limits, you will miss ot on a lot. Travel well below the limit,
and keep your eyes open.
2) Get out early. Your best chance of seeing leopard is if you enter
the park as it opens in the morning. If you snooze, you lose!
3) When you see something interesting, stop your car on the edge of
the road, but leave enough space to allow other cars to pass.
4) If you're going to be watching something for more than a few
seconds, turn of the engine, and NEVER play the radio.
5) You shouldn't get too close to spook the animals, but most are
quite used to cars. You can usually get VERY close (within 6 feet but
often within touching distance, BUT DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT TOUCHING
THEM) to animals such as lion, baboon, wild dog, giraffe, buffalo and
most birds. Plains game, antelopes etc will spook easily so keep your
distance. You don't want to be too close to elephant, unless they
approach you. Try to stay about 60 feet or more from elephant, hippo,
rhino.
6) Unless there are signs that specifically allow it, NEVER GET OUT OF
YOUR CAR, even if you have a flat tyre. If you have car prblems, flag
somone down, and send a message to the wardens at the next camp.

Rgards,

Marc - Johannesburg.

Old December 15th, 2004, 02:14 PM

True. I was clearly mistaken.

Next time I see a convoy of popup minibuses rushing like taxis from
park to park, I will know better. In the past, I thought that the poor
tourists booked it by mistake. I thought they had no idea that they
would end up with 6 others in a minibus.

Thanks to this board I now know that folks booked these safaris by
choice.

I still have a problem with promoting this kind of safari, but I can
live with it since I learned also that these are eco-friendly safaris.

Old December 15th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Joel

[...]

U.S. it is so easy to do by yourself.

On the other hand I am finding Africa much harder to deal with as an
independent traveler in reference to safaris. Here is why:

1. Airfares from the US are prohibitively expensive. Yes there are
consolidators that one can use but most people do not go or understand
that route. Package tours do offer great airfares. There is a company
called UTG (US based) that has airfare with their packages for $1000 no
matter what the date. That is almost impossible for the average person
to get without a tremendous amount of running around.
2. Self driving is really not an option in Kenya. The majority of
Americans, myself included, do not drive standard shift. Furthermore I
think that a 5 hour drive from Nairobi to the Mara that requires a 4WD
vehicle is beyond the driving skills of 90% of the population. Sure we
own Jeep Cherokees, most are never taken off road. I'd be reluctant to
do so without more experience. It's not like I can call someone to get
a tow.
3. Independent camping is not an option. Pretty self-explanatory.
4. Lodging is limited. The available choices are expensive and you may
not necessarily get a better deal once you add in extras like game
drives, etc... Not all lodges provide this in the price. The Serena
properties are a perfect example.
5. Finding a guide company is problematic. Go on KATO's web site and
you will find many companies that offer safari. Most follow the same
itineraries. I've e-mailed several of them asking about customer
itineraries. I've received a response from one. Several of the
e-mails bounced back from the addresses that were provided on their Web
Sites. I can tell you that doesn't inspire much confidence. It's in
these situations where relying on a tour operator to take care of
logistics is comforting.

I have appreciated both Eben's and Liz's input to my original inquiry.
I've found Liz's web site very helpful in learning more about the areas
that I'd like to travel in. Travel is a very personal thing for
different people. Everyone's goals are different. While frustrating
for you Eben, I suspect that the tourist in that mini-bus is just as
thrilled as you are to be there and may not be interested in mingling
with the locals. For that matter the locals may not be interested in
mingling with you. I'm also spending a lot of time doing research.
Personally I enjoy it, but the average vacationer likes to be presented
with a package deal. I've also read many of Liz's post and while she
does mention several companies most are in direct response to someone
asking (and to be fair Eben, you did ask Liz as did I) and she doesn't
push or promote it. I would have no problem mentioning a company I
have done business and that I was happy with their service.

I also think the minibus issue is being beaten to death. One of the
primary reasons that I'm looking into a private safari is that I'm
concerned that I will be part of a tour that will come up to a group of
lions, take a snapshot and then want to leave. I personally believe
that to have a quality experience takes patience and observation. If I
found a group of 4 individuals who were like minded I'd have no
hesitation joining a tour group. As long as I had a window and a
photographic hatch I'm happy. Hint Hint... If you were planning to go
next year drop me a line and we can all book a private safari together.

For myself I'm working with someone now on a quote for a private
safari. Hopefully it will fit into my budget. If not, I have no
problem joining a tour and treating it as a scouting trip for a later
date. To each his own.

Old December 15th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Joel

[...]

I've found Liz's sight very helpful in learning more about the areas