Nice places to stop between Hervey bay and up north?

Old January 25th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Hallvard Tangeraas

Default Nice places to stop between Hervey bay and up north?

I've just arrived at Hervey bay and will be here for a couple of days
before I move on. Doesn't seem like a very interesting place really,
other than a starting point for going to Fraser island. Staying at
Urangan I haven't even seen a beach, so I think I'll move on shortly.

But with limited guidebooks and access to information I don't really
know where that would be. I would like to do some more surfing and
swimming before I just can't (I hear there are lots of box jellyfish
north of Rockhampton, making it impossible to be in the water without
special suits), so what would be a nice stop along the coast on my way
up towards Rockhampton (and for that matter, when I continue further
up towards Cairns).

I've been thinking about "1770", if nothing more than curiousity for
such a strangely named place, though I really don't know much more
about it than Captain Cook's first landing place in Queensland.

Suggestions anyone?
I have a hop on/hop off ticket from McCafferty's buses,so it's
basically got to be along that route.

Hallvard
Old January 25th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Bernard Smith

From Urangan back to Pialba is one long beach, but not for surfing!

Yeppoon (40km from Rockhampton) is worth a visit - you should be able
to hitch easily.

Airlie Beach (on the bus route) is also a nice holiday resort and
launch point for the Whitsunday islands.

Mission Beach (on the bus route) is a nice unspoiled beach.

I will leave it to others to comment on whether it is worth making the
trek from Miriam Vale to 1770 (60 km).

om...

Old January 25th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Julie

Agnes Water seems to be more popular for surfing than 1770. I wasn't
impressed with 1770 at all but there was quite a crowd surfing at Agnes
Water.

You won't get any surfing once you get inside the reef. 1770 is as far
north as you will be able to surf.

Airlie Beach has lots of backpackers and the Whitsundays are beautiful. It
just depends on what you are looking for.

You say there is not much to do in Hervey Bay. What is it that you want to
do? Are you looking for night clubs etc. Airlie Beach stays open very late
at night.

I love South Mission Beach but that is all that is there. A beautiful
beach, a caravan park, a General Store and a restaurant. Very quiet but if
there is nothing at Hervey Bay for you then there certainly isn't anything
at South Mission Beach. Mission Beach has a few more shops and a couple of
restaurants.

Julie

From Urangan back to Pialba is one long beach, but not for surfing!

Old January 26th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Hallvard Tangeraas

"Julie" wrote in message ...

Agnes Water seems to be more popular for surfing than 1770. I wasn't
impressed with 1770 at all but there was quite a crowd surfing at Agnes
Water.

yes, I've been thinking about 1770 myself as there doesn't seem to be
too many options when taking the McCafferty's bus route as I am.
I see on the map that Agnes water is further south, and apparently
pretty close, but how close? Walking distance?
Too far to take daytrips between the two so I have to find a way to
get there from 1770 (and back, so I can continue my busride with
McCafferty's) and stay at a hostel there (assuming there are any)?

You won't get any surfing once you get inside the reef. 1770 is as far
north as you will be able to surf.

Where does the great barrier reef start?
I also hear that there are dangerous jellyfish above Rockhampton, so
that probably leaves out any "in the water" activity altogether :-(
Which is why I want to surf and swim as much as I can for now.

Airlie Beach has lots of backpackers and the Whitsundays are beautiful. It
just depends on what you are looking for.

Everybody seems to go to the Whitsundays and it seems like a very
touristy thing to do which sort of puts me off. That and the cost of
tours which I'm not prepared to spend.
But of course I'd love to see crystal clear waters and white beaches
(I already have, but even more wouldn't hurt!).

You say there is not much to do in Hervey Bay. What is it that you want to
do? Are you looking for night clubs etc. Airlie Beach stays open very late
at night.

no, far from it.
See things and places. Explore.
this town just seems like a huge residential area with shopping malls
spread out over, and you most certainly seem to need a car as well to
get around.
not much to see and do, even though I did take a walk along the
"beach" here, enjoyed the sunset and amazing thunderstorm (we don't
get lightning likr this at home).

I love South Mission Beach but that is all that is there. A beautiful
beach, a caravan park, a General Store and a restaurant. Very quiet but if
there is nothing at Hervey Bay for you then there certainly isn't anything
at South Mission Beach. Mission Beach has a few more shops and a couple of
restaurants.

a beautiful beach will do it for me! But if i can't go into the water
(because of the jellyfish) it's not much fun.
.... or is this jellyfish deal exaggerated?

Hallvard
Old January 26th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Alastair J. Smith

"Hallvard Tangeraas" wrote in message
om...

a beautiful beach will do it for me! But if i can't go into the water
(because of the jellyfish) it's not much fun.
... or is this jellyfish deal exaggerated?

Hallvard

No the jelly fish thing is not exaggerated, probably the last time for a
swim will be at Yeppoon nr. Rockhampton. You will see loads of lovely sunny
beaches like Mission beach and most people will be up one end where the
swimming enclosure nets are. However even after they "trawl" these nets the
smaller Irukandji can get through.

A lot of the beaches round Cairns were closed for a few days at Christmas
because of stings.The life guards were pretty ****ed off as some people had
been stung but not reported it until they felt really ill some hours later,
but by then other people had also been stung. It's the box jelly you have to
be really careful of though, as they'd had been at least one confirmed death
last year due to a sting.

Old January 26th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Julie

"Julie" wrote in message

[...]

The distance between Agnes Water and 1770 is 5.87 km according to
www.travelmate.com.au

Julie

Old January 29th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Hallvard Tangeraas

"Julie" wrote in message ...

The distance between Agnes Water and 1770 is 5.87 km according to
www.travelmate.com.au

Thanks.
I'm actually there right now -in Agnes Water to be exact. Arrived late
last night (we had to turn the bus around because of a flooding of a
bridge, making the trip 3 hours longer).

A nice, relaxing place here! The town of 1770 is around 6 km north of
Agnes Water as you say, just been there today and saw where captain
cook landed in 1770.
Been relaxing at a nice beach. Not touristy, only a few local
travellers at a caravan park fishing. Saw some pelicans.
I think I'll be here a little while.

I've also been presented the opportunity to see the south starting end
of the Great Barrier Reef. As you probably know by now (reading my
it seems to be the only way to see the reef. And they say that Cairns
(where most people apparently go from to see it) is VERY touristy with
up to 300 people on a boat at once! And because of the mass tourism
there's also been a lot of damage to the reef. In addition there's the
stinger jellyfish problem where you can't swim without a protective
suit, which isn't needed here.

So..... it seems like this might be the place to go from to see it.

Hallvard