Manzanillo, Mexico...recommendations?

Old January 27th, 2005, 12:47 AM
JJ

Default Manzanillo, Mexico...recommendations?

I'd love to hear any recommendations, stories, experiences in about
Manzanillo....am considering a trip this July for my honeymoon...

Thanks!

J.

Old February 1st, 2005, 01:32 AM
Tracy

Nah. Not for a honeymoon. Manzanillo is surrounded by oil fields and is
a FINCA "planned" resort that never quite got off the ground. Lots of
wonderful places to spend a honeymoon in Mexico, but that's not one of
them. Tell us what you are looking for and we can make some alternate
suggestions :

Old February 1st, 2005, 03:21 AM
JJ

We want to be on the beach first. And we want to find a great resort with
all the amenities...but we also would like to be able to get into 'real'
mexico, and get away from the resorts and see some smaller towns and things
that we wouldn't have a chance to see staying in or near a large resort or
resort town.

We want to have access to a lot of activities...the ones you would normally
find near the ocean (swimming, diving, etc...) plus hiking, bicycling
too....are we asking too much?

Someone suggested mazatlan... or puerto escondido...

Thanks!

J.

ups.com...

Old February 2nd, 2005, 05:25 PM
JerryB

I come to Mexico often. Others can give you information on the
resorts, my report is on the small hotels in cities and towns the
locals as well as Norte Americanos use. Most of these hotels are the
ones that were popular years ago before the mega resorts. This trip, I
left Denver three weeks ago driving in and out of coastal towns. As
for large resort type cities, I liked Puerto Vallarta the best as it
has a mixture of everything. Boating, snorkeling, shopping, many bars
and retaurents, and trips to old minig towns in the mountains. My
favorite area in PV is the old Zona Romantica downtown south of rio
cuali. Mazatlan was OK as was Manzanillo. I like the beaches in
Manzanillo better than Mazatlan. The city however is very crowded with
narrow streets and some air polution.

If you want a flavor of Mexico stay a night or two in one of thewse
small cheap hotels in the downtown areas.
Suggestions--
Mazatlan- Hotel Del Rio on avenida Jaurez, two blocks from the beach.
Puerto Vallarta- Hotel Hortencia in zona romantica also Posada Lily a
half block from the beach
Manzanillo- Hotel Colonia

Small town beaches are ussually nicer than the resorts. Check out La
Manzanilla, and the towns of Barra de Navidad and Melaque on Bahia de
Navidad both areas only a half hour north of Manzanillo. San Pancho
and Guayabitis north of PV and San Blas south of Mazatlan. San Blas
has a wild life refuge where you can take a boat ride through the
jungle and see many tropical birds and crocodiles.

Now I am at lake Chapala staying in chapala and Ajijic then onto
Morelia, Guanajuato, San Migael Allende in the interior before
returning to the states.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Jerry B

JJ wrote:
We want to be on the beach first. And we want to find a great resort

with
all the amenities...but we also would like to be able to get into

'real'
mexico, and get away from the resorts and see some smaller towns and

things
that we wouldn't have a chance to see staying in or near a large

resort or
resort town.

We want to have access to a lot of activities...the ones you would

normally
find near the ocean (swimming, diving, etc...) plus hiking, bicycling

too....are we asking too much?

Someone suggested mazatlan... or puerto escondido...

Thanks!

J.

ups.com...

Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:35 PM
JJ

Now I am at lake Chapala staying in chapala and Ajijic then onto
Morelia, Guanajuato, San Migael Allende in the interior before
returning to the states.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

thanks....that's great info..

J.

Old February 4th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Ed & Sue Beresnikow

JerryB wrote:
I come to Mexico often. Others can give you information on the

.....snip....

Now I am at lake Chapala staying in chapala and Ajijic then onto
Morelia, Guanajuato, San Migael Allende in the interior before
returning to the states.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Jerry B

apologies for hijacking this thread but I caught your current location.

I would be interested in hearing of your experiences in the Lake Chapala
region as well of any suggestions for places to stay and to visit for
mid-fifties couple not living the fast pace.

Is the area really deteriorating and drying up as notably as some
articles I have seen claim and are forecasting doom for the lake to be a
chemical laden swamp?

We hear many ex-pat Canadians, none who I know unfortunately, have
retired in the region and has peaked our interest to at least go check
it out.

Ed
Old February 9th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Ed & Sue Beresnikow

JerryB, a repost in case you missed my original under original thread
( Manzanillo, Mexico...recommendations?) asking about Lake Chapala
region ..

Old February 10th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Jerry Bianchi

JerryB wrote:
I come to Mexico often. Others can give you information on the

....snip....
Now I am at lake Chapala staying in chapala and Ajijic then onto
Morelia, Guanajuato, San Migael Allende in the interior before
returning to the states.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Jerry B

apologies for hijacking this thread but I caught your current location.

I would be interested in hearing of your experiences in the Lake Chapala
region as well of any suggestions for places to stay and to visit for
mid-fifties couple not living the fast pace.

Is the area really deteriorating and drying up as notably as some
articles I have seen claim and are forecasting doom for the lake to be a
chemical laden swamp?

Ed;

Have recieved two of your messages and attempted to respond with two
Emails from here in Mexico. On both occasions I received a mailer
demon that your service denied sending. Will try again this week-end
when I return to the states.

Do you have another Email address?

Jerry Bianchi

Old February 10th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Ed & Sue Beresnikow

Jerry Bianchi wrote:

Ed;

Have recieved two of your messages and attempted to respond with two
Emails from here in Mexico. On both occasions I received a mailer
demon that your service denied sending. Will try again this week-end
when I return to the states.

Do you have another Email address?

Jerry Bianchi

sorry Jerry, my fault. Reply to: is sort of spam proofed .. take the
lid out of the destination string for correct address.

Ed