Need advice for Educational Gang Vacation

Old February 27th, 2009, 03:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Chris[_13_]

Default Need advice for Educational Gang Vacation

Hi There folks,

I'm sure some of you will think this is a rather unusual request.
However, many people travel for the soul reason of leaning something
or having a cultural experience. The fact is that gangs now are very
much a part of many major cities across America.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of an industry that supports gang
related tourism? By that, I mean people who want to learn more about
these gangs, see how they live, or what makes them tick. For
instance, perhaps guided van tours of the gang areas of the city, with
maybe the tour being conducted by a former gang member who is very
knowledable about the local cultures of the gangs. This tour operator
could really paint a picture of what it is like to live a day as a
gang member. That would make for a very riveting experience. Maybe,
for the brave, there could even be guided walking tours of these
areas, where the tourists can possibly even communicate with the gang
members and ask them questions.

Ok, the whole thing may sound far fetched, but back in the 70s, I
wonder if anyone would have thought they would offer guided tours of
"tornado alley", where tourists can go in a van operated by a real
storm chaser and see tornadoes and severe storms up close and
personal? I highly doubt it. And how about the tours of the African
safaris? Those are filled with lots of risk too, in case the worst
case scenerio happens and one of the animals attack the tour bus.

So, I don't know if such a thing even exists. But, with tours of
virtually every other element of American culture, let's not forget
the part that many mayors and city leaders want to forget exist. They
will likely be a part of our culture for many years to come.

Chris Rogers

Old February 28th, 2009, 04:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

gang related tourism? *

Interesting concept, and I agree it could be interesting and
educational, but I haven't heard of any tours like that.

However, some tour companies are glad to arrange private, custom tours
for small groups. They might be willing to arrange something like
that, IF they felt they could do so safely. (And that's a big "if", as
many gang areas are not safe even in daylight hours.)

Another possibility would be to contact social service groups that
work with gangs and see if any of their members would be willing to
give a private tour for hire.

James