Dominica

Old October 6th, 2006, 03:39 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
[email protected]

Default Dominica

Brian K wrote:

Fly to one of the nearby islands that has direct US
flights, then take a ferry or a sail boat.

Hmm..... I don't know

I might get seasick

Have to remember I'm a landlubber from Missouri and
never been out on water that long
Old October 6th, 2006, 03:53 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
[email protected]

Brian K wrote:

Fly to one of the nearby islands that has direct US
flights, then take a ferry or a sail boat. That is if you don't mind
being a sea for a length of time. I forget which island. But it does
have passenger sail boats that carry small groups.

Does this keep the cost down of getting there?
Old October 7th, 2006, 12:19 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Don Wiss

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 09:37:58 -0500, wrote:

Don Wiss wrote:

I think the best hiking is Basse-Terre, Guadeloupe.

OK I will check that out too!

These pages mention 22 walks on Basse-Ter
http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=XHP010-022
http://www.allgetaways.com/view_dest...nid=XHP010-022

Here's the official site, but without Flash I can't get in.
http://www.guadeloupe-parcnational.com/

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old October 7th, 2006, 05:26 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Brian K[_1_]

On 10/6/2006 10:53 AM plucked Senior Frog's Magic
Twanger and said:
Brian K wrote:

Fly to one of the nearby islands that has direct US
flights, then take a ferry or a sail boat. That is if you don't mind
being a sea for a length of time. I forget which island. But it does
have passenger sail boats that carry small groups.

Does this keep the cost down of getting there?

I don't know. It's just a more relaxed way to arrive. You'd fly in to
Guadeloupe, Martinique or St. Lucia and then take high speed catamaran
ferry to Dominica. The ferry operator is L'Express des Iles
http://www.whitchurch.com/express.htm I kind of enjoy it, but if sea
travel isn't your thing, then don't do it. Use, Orbitz, Travelocity,
Expedia, or your favorite to see who has the best route for the best price.

You might also find this Dominica Travel Info link useful:
http://www.avirtualdominica.com/home.cfm
I use a travel agent who is usually as good as any of the on line travel
bots for getting me a great package for a great price.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 7th, 2006, 11:34 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Don Wiss

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006, Brian K wrote:

It's just a more relaxed way to arrive. You'd fly in to
Guadeloupe, Martinique or St. Lucia and then take high speed catamaran
ferry to Dominica. The ferry operator is L'Express des Iles
http://www.whitchurch.com/express.htm I kind of enjoy it, but if sea
travel isn't your thing, then don't do it.

It had been almost impossible to fly directly to Martinique from the US.

I used that ferry. I would not do it again, at least not for Martinique to
Guadeloupe. It is very time consuming compared to island hopping by plane.
Maybe okay for adjacent islands. And I found it boring. Most people were
glued to the television that had one of those non-stop violent movies on.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:23 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Rita Daggett

"landlbreis" u27563@uwe wrote in message news:675571eae4326@uwe...
David, it sounds like you have been around the caribbean. My family is
going on a vacation over xmas, but we cant decide where to go. 5 kids

age
range 18-26 yr old. They will definitely want something to do at night,
but also we like exotic things to see or do in the daytime. Any unusual
suggestions?

Linda

How about St Lucia? There are the Pitons to climb and other 'forested'
areas, loads of watersports and a well-developed tourist industry.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:19 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Cindy C

Nice pix. We have visited and loved the place. Very low key. Not overly
commercialized.
Cindy

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 20:20:49 GMT, "k" wrote:

David, that was a very thorough reply to John, so let me ask something
else.
We are Americans looking to retire somewhere a bit more affordable. We're
already looking into Mexico, Panama and Costa Rica, but a quick look at
the
links you provided to John have me thinking Dominica as well.

One thing I find is that the Caribbean is hot. It is always hot. On
Dominica, if you get up into the mountains it can be very pleasantly cool.
You could live up there. If you want some heat, you could always go down
the coast.

I do have pictures I took when I was visiting:
http://donwiss.com/pictures/Dominica-2003/

Don www.donwiss.com/pictures/carib (e-mail link at page bottoms).