Advice on long term rental

Old January 16th, 2007, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Brynjulf Barexstein

Default Advice on long term rental

Hello everybody.
I am planning to rent a house or cottage for 3 months next winter, with
my wife and two kids that will be 1,5 and 3 years at the time of travel.
We intend to have a relaxing vacation and do and see as little as
possible, and we are looking for a house or cottage situated directly on
a perfect beach with calm waters. But the problem is we have to find a
place that gives good discounts for long time staying, or monthly rates.
Any experiences or advices ?

We intend to go to one of the following islands: (due to their beaches,
+ convenient flights from Europe with two kids.)

BVIs
esp. Anegada
Anguilla
St Martin
Aruba
Bahamas: Eleuthera, Cat Island or Exumas.

Thanks for your answers,
best greetings,
Brynjulf, Norway
PS My advice to you all: Go to Les Saintes, just south of Guadeloupe, we
were there last winter, on both Terre-de-Bas and Terre-de-Haut. The last
real hidden gems in the Caribbean, if you ask me !
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
[email protected][_1_]

Consider Montserrat. Maybe not the beaches you had expected, but
inexpensive, great food, great music, and truly friendly people.

Old January 16th, 2007, 11:04 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Brian K

And Montserrat has a big freakin' volcano that's very unstable. There
are times of day and days when the airport is shut down. The wind is
blowing the wrong way bringing toxic fumes from the volcano.

Here's a thought. You will find more flexibility if you rent from a
private individual rather then an agency. There are risks of course. You
should ask for several references of folks who've recently rented the
property or space. Also inquire with the local authorities if there are
any claims against the property owner. Get a checkable phone number and
address from the owner.

Look for forums discussing long term rentals. Check odd places where an
individual might advertise their rental unit. I found a place in "Motor
Boating Magazine" of all places. The owner had recently acquired the
place. He also had a small yacht berthed at the place. He planned to
take his yacht out to explore the islands. The slip would be free so he
figured motor boating and sailing magazines would be the place to
advertise. That's the kind of people to whom he wanted to rent.

Some places will include the slip only with an extra fee and damage
deposit. We got the house for 4 months with a wave runner and the slip
thrown in. The women in our family are super negotiators and they got us
the deal. What's really great is that the beach was only a few steps
away. We could walk there, wave runner there or swim there.

I would give you his name and contact information only sadly his house
and everything was totaled in a recent hurricane. He chose not to rebuild.

--
____
Brian M. Kochera

Old January 22nd, 2007, 02:13 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
G&G

Consider Costa Rica. Check out www.vrbo.com
They handle vacation rentals by owners all over the world.
Pura Vida,
"Richard" wrote in message
Try this http://www.vrbo.com/

link.net...

Old January 26th, 2007, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Tragik Magik

You might consider Nevis also. Weekly charter flights from Gatwick
into Saint Kitts (Nevis' Sister Island, then a quick ferry to Nevis (2
miles away) I list over 50 villas on my Villas of Nevis website
www.villasofnevis.com and many have long term rentals. For info on
the island of Nevis itself, try my Nevis website www.nevis1.com or my
Nevis Blog www.nevisblog.com No matter what island you choose the
Caribbean is always fun.