Watch out for Credit Card fees when travelling to Canada

Old August 11th, 2008, 12:59 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,alt.rv,alt.travel.canada,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Steve Wolf

Default Watch out for Credit Card fees when travelling to Canada

Debit cards have safeguards.

If my debit card is used improperly and I conform with the requirements,
such as reporting the violation within forty-eight hours of my learning
of it, I am protected. The difference between my credit card and my
debit card has to do with what happens when it is used. My credit card
bill describes the violation and I don't pay for it. My debit is
deducted immediately. That deduction is recovered within ten days of
the report. The immediate deduction sucks. You can get really screwed
up if you have automatic payments get boggled in that ten day period.

I also use my credit card for all purchases. It is safer. But there
are safeguards on my debit card.

Steve
www.wolfswords.com under the motorhome link

Rog' wrote:
"Ken Harrison" wrote:
I always use a debit card affiliated with a checking account whilst
traveling in other countries. That is the *only* time I use a debit card,
there being no transaction safeguards on them. I also use an account
separate from my usual one so that if I do get stung, the thieves won't
have access to the vast majority of my money.

Even for everyday use, I keep debit-ATM money in an account
that separate from my other accounts, and transfer $$ into it only
as I forseeably may need, month-to-month.

Old August 11th, 2008, 02:06 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,alt.rv,alt.travel.canada,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
MI wrote:

On 8/10/08 2:07 PM, in article
unications, "Robert Bonomi"
wrote:

In article ,
pltrgyst wrote:
On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 23:05:42 -0700, Ken Harrison
wrote:

This fee, which is simply a "junk" fee providing no service, can also be
avoided by taking travelers cheques, whose commission is generally much
less than the credit card junk fees. And, if one is a member of AAA, he
can probably get those cheques for no charge at all. More's the better!

During our travels for the past twenty years in Europe, we've had great
difficulty finding businesses other than hotels which will take traveler's
checks. We find them pretty useless, unless they're AmEx and you're going to
be
staying near an AmEx location.

Depends _who's_ cheques they are.

Barclays of London meet a lot less resistance than those of domestic U.S.
issuers.

A number of years ago, I took Bank of America Travelers Cheques to a Bank of
America in San Francisco. They didn't want to take them

*THAT* conversation proceeds:
"Would you put your refusal to honor these checks in writing, please?"
"Why?"
"For my formal complaint to the State Banking Commission, FTC complaint for
false advertising, and possible criminal charges for 'conversion'."

I once had a local bank (initially) refuse to cash a _cashiers_check_ drawn
on that bank, "because I didn't have an account there". The check in
question was issued by a different branch of that institution, *closing* my
account with them -- had a business deal come up an hour or two later where
I needed funds _now_, and hadn't opened an account at the new bank yet.

I made an *awful* scene in the lobby -- yelling about how that attitude was
_why_ I was closing my account (they had just acquired my old bank), demanding
the presence of a bank officer to come to the teller station, making other
loud noises about the 'bank examiners', etc. Lots of very defamatory things,
that, unfortunately for the bank, were absolutely true, as established by
their teller's action. Eventually, a more senior official shows up, takes a
half-second glance at the instrument I've presented, and tells the casher two
words: "cash it". Whereupon I got _somewhat_ less noisy.

and when I persisted
they charged me a fee. Can't remember what it was---a couple of bucks I
think.

Old August 11th, 2008, 02:19 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,alt.rv,alt.travel.canada,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"Steve Wolf" wrote:
If my debit card is used improperly and I conform with the requirements,
such as reporting the violation within forty-eight hours of my learning of
it, I am protected. The difference between my credit card and my debit
card has to do with what happens when it is used. My credit card bill
describes the violation and I don't pay for it. My debit is deducted
immediately. That deduction is recovered within ten days of the report.
The immediate deduction sucks. You can get really screwed up if you
have automatic payments get boggled in that ten day period....

Aye, and there's the rub, matey. If something goes awry and its tied to
your checking account, sure you can get your $$ back fairly quickly
(once you notice), but in the meantime...
-- Without OD protection, your vendors could be seriously unhappy.
-- With OD protection, your notice could be significantly delayed.
I simply prefer that the bank draw the money from an account where
there is a limit, and it would not affect my other financial dealings.

Old August 11th, 2008, 07:14 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,alt.rv,alt.travel.canada,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"Robert Bonomi" schrieb

Depends _who's_ cheques they are.

Barclays of London meet a lot less resistance than those of domestic U.S.
issuers.

No, not really. A cheque is a cheque, and is definitely a thing of the past
in Europe. The major hotel chains will still take travellers cheques, or you
can cash them at the bank; but anything else? Forget it!

Jochen

Old August 11th, 2008, 07:42 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,alt.rv,alt.travel.canada,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Ken Harrison

MI wrote:

A number of years ago, I took Bank of America Travelers Cheques to a Bank of
America in San Francisco. They didn't want to take them and when I persisted
they charged me a fee. Can't remember what it was---a couple of bucks I
think.

The price of doing business with Bank of America is doing business with
Bank of America. Was it any better when it was Bank of Italy?

kh
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:58 PM posted to alt.rec.camping,alt.rv,alt.travel.canada,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 23:42:53 -0700, Ken Harrison
wrote:

MI wrote:

A number of years ago, I took Bank of America Travelers Cheques to a Bank of
America in San Francisco. They didn't want to take them and when I persisted
they charged me a fee. Can't remember what it was---a couple of bucks I
think.

The price of doing business with Bank of America is doing business with
Bank of America. Was it any better when it was Bank of Italy?

kh

Very much so!!! I left the "Bank of Italy" over forty years ago when
they refused to cash a government check because my account was not in
that branch. I went to the Bank of Ft Sam Houston which was renown
for its service to military. Never had a problem though all was done
by either phone or mail. Unfortunately the Bank of Ft Sam was bought
up by Republic Bank of Texas which promptly went belly up. The
proceeds were taken over by the Bank of North Carolina that changed
its name to Nations Bank. Then Nations Bank bought out Bank of America
and I found myself bank with the one I had left so many years ago.
Since the name, Bank of America, was better known than Nations Bank,
the new owners chose to retain that name for all operations.

Two things that were good. First, through all the transitions, the
parent bank kept their hands off Ft. Sam and left them to operate as
they had been. The only change that I saw in my service was that it
was now the "military branch of the Bank of America". One other
difference is that we can go into any Branch of BoA and cash checks,
etc with no problems, in fact they all have much more courtesy than
before.

George
Old August 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM posted to alt.rec.camping,alt.rv,alt.travel.canada,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

wrote:

This fee, which is simply a "junk" fee providing no service, can also be
avoided by taking travelers cheques, whose commission is generally much
less than the credit card junk fees. And, if one is a member of AAA, he
can probably get those cheques for no charge at all. More's the better!

During our travels for the past twenty years in Europe, we've had great
difficulty finding businesses other than hotels which will take traveler's
checks. We find them pretty useless, unless they're AmEx and you're going
to be
staying near an AmEx location.

I'm surprised you found hotels in Europe that cashed travelers' checks.
They're just an inconvenience now. ATM for cash, credit card for bigger
amounts. And we use our credit union account, for which there's only the
normal 1% fee.

Marianne

Old August 11th, 2008, 08:52 PM posted to alt.rec.camping,alt.rv,alt.travel.canada,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
pltrgyst[_2_]

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 09:40:52 -0700, "Mimi" wrote:

I'm surprised you found hotels in Europe that cashed travelers' checks.

I didn't. But they accepted them for the hotel bill.

They're just an inconvenience now. ATM for cash, credit card for bigger
amounts. And we use our credit union account, for which there's only the
normal 1% fee.

Agreed.

-- Larry
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:20 PM posted to alt.rec.camping,alt.rv,alt.travel.canada,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
David \The Hamster\ Malone

On Aug 11, 3:52*pm, pltrgyst wrote:

I didn't. But they accepted them for the hotel bill.

I wouldn't believe anything this unmitigated troll says... he just
comes waltzing in here making grandiose claims about travellers checks
and hotels and stuff... and he's probably never even been out of
state, let alone the country.

Hey, I wouldn't be surprised if he spends his spare time playing pool
or some other such mindless occupation.

(Hi, Larry. :-)

David "The Hamster" Malone
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:31 PM posted to alt.rec.camping,alt.rv,alt.travel.canada,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
1100GS_rider

Steve Wolf wrote:

Debit cards have safeguards.
If my debit card is used improperly and I conform with the requirements,
such as reporting the violation within forty-eight hours of my learning
of it, I am protected.

I believe those safeguards are just policies your bank offers, but not
required by law.

My bank offers debit card holders full coverage for fraud, too, but it's
their marketing strategy. They could cancel that policy tomorrow.

--
You can trust me; I'm not like the others.