The Mother of All Single Supplements

Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Ann

Default The Mother of All Single Supplements

I haven't cruised for five years, but I got the urge yesterday when I
saw RCI's Enchantment OTS itinerary and prices for the 7-day out of
Colon, Panama. This was a last minute impulse decision, and for me that
means going alone. In the past I have paid 150%, 200% or even 0% when
lucky. Nothing prepared me for the following quote directly from RCI for
2/1 or 2/8: interior guarantee $399 per person double, but on a
"special" fare sailing, singles are excluded from the special fares! My
single interior fare would be $1289. And no, I could not book Harvey
Lapin as my travel companion.

Please, dear group, don't tell me this is now the norm in the cruise
industry. I know "they" say that singles spend less on board, but the
profitability of a single cruise shouldn't rest entirely on the
shoulders of the solo travelers. There are singles who let the dollars
fly and groups whose members spend very little.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

On Jan 23, 9:06�am, (Sue Ann) wrote:
[...]

THis does happen alot lately I have noticed it alot. IF they made it
too good for Singles then people would be booking 2 rooms to have
extra space I guess! But I feel 150% is fair and should be at the
discounted rate *($399 @150%) I think its sad to not give the
singles the Special rates.
Susette
Cruise Outlets and Travel
www.cruiseoutlets.com
856-853-9515
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Sue Ann" wrote in message
[...]

I have heard similar pricing stories before (I frequently travel as a
single)... so it's not completely unheard of. But it's not the norm. For
example we recently booked a Holland America sailing with our Viking group
and got a reduced single supplement (I think it's 150% for insides and
outsides).

However... for the sailing you mentioned, I think one of my friends said
it's a "Spanish Immersion" sailing or some term like that. It's marketed
almost exclusively to locals, if I understood correctly. You could probably
expect like 90-95% Spanish speaking passengers on board. The announcements,
shows, and everything else might even be in Spanish. The TA's here can
probably provide more details, or correct me where I'm wrong, but I don't
think that is a "traditional" cruise. You should check with an experienced
travel agent before booking a cruise like that.

--Tom

Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_7_]

Tom K wrote:

However... for the sailing you mentioned, I think one of my friends said
it's a "Spanish Immersion" sailing or some term like that. It's marketed
almost exclusively to locals, if I understood correctly. You could probably
expect like 90-95% Spanish speaking passengers on board. The announcements,
shows, and everything else might even be in Spanish.

.. . . sounds like a visit to Los Angeles, Phoenix or most of Texas.

--
Nonny
Some people are like a Slinky: not really
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Babie

"Sue Ann" wrote

[...]

I was originally looking at the same cruise, but airfare would be a bit
much.

I always travel solo for my birthday every February. And I always book very
last minute.

It's been really difficult finding a cruise that has decent single
supplement. The one I'll probably do is the Costa Concordia round trip Rome.
(yeah, changed my mind from NCL lol). I'm paying 200% for it... unless
prices go up before January 30th when I book, then I have a couple backup
plans (ya have to booking last minute!)

And in a few cases, it's more than 200% single supplement which is really
odd.

Cruise lines are giving deep discounts, but they seem to be making up for
the recession by gouging solo cruisers. Hope that trend ends soon

LES!
0

Old January 24th, 2009, 04:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
kerfloyed

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:50:03 -0700, "Babie"
wrote:

"Sue Ann" wrote

[...]

In my part of the world, the same thing is the norm - 160% on insides
and O/View, 200% on balconies and suites.

It isn't so much a gouge. They offer specials on underselling cruises
to fill the cabins - keeping the staff occupied and profiting from
onboard spending. 95% of these specials are for at least twin
occupancy, so if you are solo you are not being gouged - just not
being offered the special.

As with the OP, it is cheaper to shout a friend a free cruise and get
the special than it is to travel solo.
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Harry Jones

This is exactly the point I brought up in my posting of 1/21, Cruising Solo
at a Double Discount.

If the cruise lines want to try pulling this, I will simply book it as a
double and show up at the dock
explaining that my travel companion got lost changing airplanes in Chicago.
I got no replies to
my original posting, so Ray or the other experts were not able to tell me if
the cruise line would
try and deny me boarding.

I mentioned this same "Spanish Immersion" cruise in an earlier posting also.
I have now
noticed at least one other immersion cruise in Asia that just says that
"local languages"
will be the primary ones on board. Probably Chinese.

I think this RCCL cruise would be a great chance to brush up on one's
Spanish.

As for these "shockingly high" last-minute air fares to Colon, one can
easily find a flight
on Continental or Taca in mid-February from Washington DC to Panama City for
$350.

Depending on when you go, you may see me on board. I will be the other
Gringo.

Old January 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr[_2_]

"Sue Ann" wrote in message
[...]

So why not book two people in the cabin?
If the $1289 figure is true you will still get a huge discount by paying
only $798