Passport needed for Alaska cruise leaving Vancouver??

Old February 13th, 2004, 07:53 PM
TreasureCove

Default Passport needed for Alaska cruise leaving Vancouver??

We're going on a round trip inside passage in June from Vancouver, and
wondering if we'll need passports?

TIA

ALlen

Old February 13th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Dick Goldhaber

Aside from the obvious question of why anyone would travel anywhere without
a passport, unless the cruise line demands a passport to board you don't
need one for Canada unless things have drastically changed since 9/11/01
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

ABB

Old February 13th, 2004, 10:11 PM
RTCReferee

Aside from the obvious question of why anyone would travel anywhere without
a passport,

There are some Americans who might be interested only in travelling to Canada
or Mexico or parts of the Caribbean where there is no requirement for a
passport.

Perhaps the person has not travelled outside the country before and does not
know yet if there is a desire or ability to travel often to foreign ports and
wishes to save some money for what might be a one-time jaunt.

Perhaps the person does not wish to have more data (i.e. passport number and
it's associated information) than just a driver's license entered into a
travel-oriented database. Think "data-linking".

Perhaps the person wants to wait until there has been a significant weight
change or plastic surgery or whatever (i.e. a cuter picture , ya never know.

Perhaps the person is contemplating a forthcoming name change for whatever
reason (marriage, divorce, adoption, stardom) and wants to wait to get a
passport after that event.

If no passport is required and the trip is a short cruise or drive into the
aforementioned countries, and the person making the trip already has a
certified birth certificate, there is no NEED to rush out and get a passport.

I have had a passport for many years, travelled extensively, and I have also
let a passport lapse before (post 9/11). When it did, I found no problem
whatsoever in cruising with only a certified birth certificate and driver's
license.

Even as a passport holder, a person might choose to travel holding onto their
passport privately while submitting to the cruiseline only the driver's license
number and showing a birth certificate.

How many cruisers have been pressured into submitting their passport to
cruiseline personnel for the duration of their cruise, yet felt uncomfortable
in foreign ports without having their passport on their person? How many have
wasted time getting their passport back to use in ports when they could have
had it on them the whole time or in their cabin safe?

If they don't know you have a passport, that won't happen. :-)
Old February 14th, 2004, 03:02 AM
Thomas Smith

A passport is not required. However, I highly recommend getting one since
they are the one internationally accepted form of identification. You can
use it not only for crossing an international boarder, and as your photo ID
when boarding a plane. It is also better to have one since you may want to
take a cruise from Europe where a passport is required.

Tom Smith

Old February 15th, 2004, 06:40 AM

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:53:17 GMT in rec.travel.cruises,
"TreasureCove" wrote:

We're going on a round trip inside passage in June from Vancouver, and
wondering if we'll need passports?

oh yes, ya gotta have an alaska visa, too. yeah, we don't let
folks into alaska without passports.

Old February 16th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Karl

ALlen: We took a cruise last summer that left from Seattle, went up
the Inside Passage, stopped at Victoria, then returned back to
Seattle. Our cruise line required that we have either:

(1) An original birth certificate with a raised seal accompanied by a
government issued photo ID; or

(2) A U.S. Passport.

I'm not sure if the requirements vary depending on who you cruise
with. Hope this helps. Have fun on your cruise!

Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:24 PM
NNTP

Ask the cruise line. Checkin on our Radiance cruise to Alaska from
Vancouver specifically required a passport. This was the week BEFORE 911.
We had passports (doesn't everyone?) so we didn't find out what happens if
you don't.

In just the last few weeks new databases have been shared with Canada making
it tougher for average citizens to cross the border. I have recently had
friends (US Citizens) denied entry to Canada because they did not have
passports. Some of them laughed when we begged them to get passports saying
that they had crossed the border many times using their drivers licenses.
Under the current US Admin, you can also be denied permission to LEAVE the
US without permission and you get no explanation why. This seems to be
related to credit report glitches, but a passport seems to bypass that
problem.

For years Canadian immigration has been sporadically warning those with no
passport they may not be allowed to travel in the future until they get one.
Of course you are not permitted in Canada even with a passport if you admit
you have been convicted of driving while intoxicated or a variety of other
common offenses in the US. Unless, of course, you are the US President.