…and a cast of thousands

Old August 25th, 2008, 12:55 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
Icono Clast

Default …and a cast of thousands

[Please note cross-posts.]

Move over, Busby Berekely and Cecil B. de Mille for Zhang Yimou who
has surpassed your vision and casts of thousands. I think the combined
opening and closing ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics are a show that
won't be surpassed during the lifetime of anyone living today. I
further believe that English needs to steal a new word to describe
what we saw.

I have prepared a an adjusted ranking of the top 23 medal-winning
countries that might be available this time tomorrow. Jamaica is
Number One, the USA 19, and China last.
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:37 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
Alan S[_1_]

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 04:55:50 -0700 (PDT), Icono Clast
wrote:

[Please note cross-posts.]

Move over, Busby Berekely and Cecil B. de Mille for Zhang Yimou who
has surpassed your vision and casts of thousands. I think the combined
opening and closing ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics are a show that
won't be surpassed during the lifetime of anyone living today. I
further believe that English needs to steal a new word to describe
what we saw.

I have prepared a an adjusted ranking of the top 23 medal-winning
countries that might be available this time tomorrow. Jamaica is
Number One, the USA 19, and China last.

You're a little late, although you can argue about the
weighting given to gold, silver and bronze:
http://www.geocities.com/unclebryan/Polympic.html

I'm afraid I was a little less impressed by the show; but I
must admit my bias against the regime has a bit to do with
that. I also dislike cheats, whether they cheat with
performance-enhancing drugs (time and technology on the
samples taken over the past fortnight could become a major
embarrassment in my opinion), lip-synching little girls who
are prettier than the real singer, or computer-enhanced TV
feeds of "live" light shows and fireworks.

I was watching all those incredibly disciplined dancers and
drummers in both ceremonies and wondering what will happen
later to the very few unfortunates who stood out for missing
a step or a cue.

I felt the best real performers, apart from the athletes,
were taken away in Police vans after being arrested in "Free
Tibet" protests.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:37 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
Gerald Oliver Swift

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
[Please note cross-posts.]

Move over, Busby Berekely and Cecil B. de Mille for Zhang Yimou who
has surpassed your vision and casts of thousands. I think the combined
opening and closing ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics are a show that
won't be surpassed during the lifetime of anyone living today. I
further believe that English needs to steal a new word to describe

Anybody who has been to Yangshuo and watched his song / dance / light show
there, already knew what a master Zhang is.

Gerry

Old August 25th, 2008, 04:40 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
PeterL

wrote:
[...]

Ah Aurstralia, where they hunted aboriginies like wild animals and got
paid for each kill. Has your country apologized for that and made it
up to the natives yet? What about restricting non White immigrants
until the late 60's?
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:01 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
Mike O'Sullivan

Alan S wrote:

I'm afraid I was a little less impressed by the show; but I
must admit my bias against the regime has a bit to do with
that. I also dislike cheats, whether they cheat with
performance-enhancing drugs (time and technology on the
samples taken over the past fortnight could become a major
embarrassment in my opinion), lip-synching little girls who
are prettier than the real singer, or computer-enhanced TV
feeds of "live" light shows and fireworks.

You didn't mention the faking of birthdates for competitors, whose
documentation mysteriously disappears when their eligability is questioned.
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

Mike wrote on Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:01:38 +0100:

Alan S wrote:
I'm afraid I was a little less impressed by the show; but I
must admit my bias against the regime has a bit to do with
that. I also dislike cheats, whether they cheat with
performance-enhancing drugs (time and technology on the
samples taken over the past fortnight could become a major
embarrassment in my opinion), lip-synching little girls who
are prettier than the real singer, or computer-enhanced TV
feeds of "live" light shows and fireworks.

You didn't mention the faking of birthdates for competitors, whose
documentation mysteriously disappears when their eligability is
questioned.

..
The "faking" of birthdates does seem suspiciously possible but I am not
as prone as many to raise spurious indignation about age limits that
differ among sports. Again, I find myself completely unmoved by the
manipulation of singers' images and the wearing of exotic costumers by
Han Chinese that seem to exercise the professional umbrage takers.

Is taking drugs that do not harm cheating or just an aspect of the war
between the nerds and the jocks? Throwing lawyers at ingenious methods
is the response of the disappointed jock. I have to admit that I
sometimes find myself hoping that Arnold Schwartzeger would show ill
effects but all that has happened to him is that he has appeared on an
Austrian stamp and been elected governor of California.

A lot of the original Olympic revival rules have gone. The elimination
of professionals to keep out those horrible lower classes using muscles
gained in manual labor has long gone. Money is a great incentive: the
first 4-minute mile was not run by Roger Bannister but by the
professional runner Richard Parrot in 1770.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old August 25th, 2008, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Pat[_15_]

.
The "faking" of birthdates does seem suspiciously possible but I am not as
prone as many to raise spurious indignation about age limits that differ
among sports.

What I think you might have overlooked is that gymnasts' ages are important
due to changes occurring in puberty. The older girls' center of gravity
changes, etc. So it is a benefit to be younger from the power to weight
ratio and the skeletal structure, etc.

Pat in TX

Old August 25th, 2008, 06:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

Pat wrote on Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:47:06 -0500:

You didn't mention the faking of birthdates for competitors,
whose documentation mysteriously disappears when their
eligability is questioned.

.
The "faking" of birthdates does seem suspiciously possible
but I am not as prone as many to raise spurious indignation
about age limits that differ among sports.

What I think you might have overlooked is that gymnasts' ages are
important due to changes occurring in puberty. The older
girls' center of gravity changes, etc. So it is a benefit to
be younger from the power to weight ratio and the skeletal
structure, etc.

If competition in a sport does not harm children (and that's important),
I don't object, frustrating as it may be to someone older. I suppose you
could have events for different ages like those for boxers of different
weights. After all, champions have unusual body development like Michael
Phelps has the natural advantage of big flexible feet.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old August 25th, 2008, 07:51 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
memiki

wrote:
[...]

Hi Alan -- I never met an Australian I didn't like......your post is
well-written and well-taken.......

Cheers, Miki, USA

Old August 25th, 2008, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
PeterL

On Aug 25, 10:47*am, "Pat" wrote:
You didn't mention the faking of birthdates for competitors, whose
documentation mysteriously disappears when their eligability is
questioned.

.
The "faking" of birthdates does seem suspiciously possible but I am not as
prone as many to raise spurious indignation about age limits that differ
among sports.

What I think you might have overlooked is that gymnasts' ages are important
due to changes occurring in puberty. The older girls' center of gravity
changes, etc. So it is a benefit to be younger from the power to weight
ratio and the skeletal structure, etc.

Pat in TX

The age limit (only for female gymnasts was imposed for potentials of
damage to young females. It has nothing to do with possible
competitive advantage.