Oil spill in Gulf

Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Carolyn G

Default Oil spill in Gulf

Just read that Carnival has a ship going out of New Orleans and another
from Mobile with one due in today. Their schedules are expected to
change.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

On 5/1/2010 7:38 PM, Carolyn G wrote:
Just read that Carnival has a ship going out of New Orleans and another
from Mobile with one due in today. Their schedules are expected to
change.

No changes yet. Here is what Carnival is saying on their website:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/crui..._Advisory.aspx

Port of Mobile Update April 30, 2010 - 6:00 PM

We are closely monitoring the situation with the massive oil spill in
the Gulf of Mexico and the potential impact to our operation in the Port
of Mobile.

We will continue to monitor this situation over the weekend to assess if
there will be any disruption to the Carnival Fantasy cruise departing on
Monday, May 3. At this point in time, we are expecting the Port of
Mobile to remain open and the cruise to operate normally.

Guests sailing on the May 3 cruise can check back here and we will
provide an update if any new information becomes available. In the
meantime, we are looking forward to welcoming our guests aboard the
Carnival Fantasy on Monday.
-----------------------

The Triumph arrived in New Orleans yesterday morning and left as scheduled.

--

George Leppla

Countryside Travel http://www.CruiseMaster.com
Blog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , George Leppla
wrote:

No changes yet. Here is what Carnival is saying on their website:

Stay tuned. This is a horrible man made catastrophe.

--
Charles
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

On 5/2/2010 7:59 PM, Charles wrote:
In , George Leppla
wrote:

No changes yet. Here is what Carnival is saying on their website:

Stay tuned. This is a horrible man made catastrophe.

The port of Mobile is still open today as is New Orleans. A few of us
are going on the Triumph out of New Orleans departing this coming
Saturday. Hopefully, the mouth of the Mississippi will remain open to
traffic and the long range forecast is good, but nothing is certain.
Mobile is more than likely going to be affected.

If Mobile has to close and New Orleans stays open, Carnival can move
their ship there and bus the passengers if needed. If New Orleans
closes, the closest port is Galveston and that would be an 8+ hour bus
ride... not practical.

The latest spill map is at:

http://response.restoration.noaa.gov...2010-05-03.pdf

Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonny

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , George Leppla
wrote:

No changes yet. Here is what Carnival is saying on their
website:

Stay tuned. This is a horrible man made catastrophe.

--
Charles

It's all Obama's fault.

--
Nonny
On most days,

Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Nonny
wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , George Leppla
wrote:

No changes yet. Here is what Carnival is saying on their
website:

Stay tuned. This is a horrible man made catastrophe.

--
Charles

It's all Obama's fault.

No doubt that is Rush's line.......

So much for advanced technology. And failsafe valves that can't fail.
Just like people want to rely on the same for nuclear power plants. The
Titanic comes to mind. You know, the unsinkable ship....

--
Charles
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
94 Proof

so?

Old May 6th, 2010, 05:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RJQMAN[_2_]

On May 3, 2:06*pm, Charles wrote:
In article , Nonny

wrote:
"Charles" wrote in message
id...
In article , George Leppla
wrote:

No changes yet. *Here is what Carnival is saying on their
website:

Stay tuned. This is a horrible man made catastrophe.

--
Charles

It's all Obama's fault.

No doubt that is Rush's line.......

So much for advanced technology. And failsafe valves that can't fail.
Just like people want to rely on the same for nuclear power plants. The
Titanic comes to mind. You know, the unsinkable ship....

--
Charles

Nothing is foolproof. Planes fly. Planes crash. Cars go. Cars run
into each other. Oil rigs pump oil. And apparently, oil rigs
explode. I did not know that. It is surely unfortunate that this
happenned, and I am most disappointed that the government did not jump
in immediately to help rather than waitng for 7 days while pointing
fingers at BP - who did not even own the rig, as I understand it.
They were leasing it from another company. Then the first action of
the Obama administration - unless I am misinformed - included sending
a team of lawyers to the coast. Wow. Hope they had dive suits for
them.

I would think the government would be better equipped to deal with
this than a single oil company, but I could be wrong. It makes me
wonder if the delay in reacting was on purpose to make the disaster
serious enough so that we back off on off-shore drilling. I hope I am
wrong, but I do wonder. I also wonder what really caused the
explosion. Was it really an accident? I do not think anyone knows
for sure at this point. I sincerely hope they can shut off that well
or cap the oil before even more damage is done.
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article
,
RJQMAN wrote:

Nothing is foolproof. Planes fly. Planes crash. Cars go. Cars run
into each other. Oil rigs pump oil. And apparently, oil rigs
explode. I did not know that. It is surely unfortunate that this
happenned, and I am most disappointed that the government did not jump
in immediately to help rather than waitng for 7 days while pointing
fingers at BP - who did not even own the rig, as I understand it.
They were leasing it from another company. Then the first action of
the Obama administration - unless I am misinformed - included sending
a team of lawyers to the coast. Wow. Hope they had dive suits for
them.

There is no safe way to drill for oil in the deep ocean. BP leased the
rig. They got the oil. Transocean owned the rig and the equipment.
Halliburton maintained the pipes. Expect the lawyers to determine which
is ultimately responsible for the leak.

I would think the government would be better equipped to deal with
this than a single oil company, but I could be wrong. It makes me
wonder if the delay in reacting was on purpose to make the disaster
serious enough so that we back off on off-shore drilling. I hope I am
wrong, but I do wonder. I also wonder what really caused the
explosion. Was it really an accident? I do not think anyone knows
for sure at this point. I sincerely hope they can shut off that well
or cap the oil before even more damage is done.

The government is not equipped at all to with it. The government does
not drill for oil or own any equipment to do anything about it. Funny
how some are all for private enterprise and no government until
something like this happens. Sounds like you are another Rush smuck.
First you say nothing is foolproof which is true but then you want to
question if it were an accident and blame the government. The truth is
all the government oversight agencies were reduced to oil company
lackeys with no power by the Bush administration but the ultimate
responsibility belongs to oil companies who greedily drill for oil in
the deep ocean.

--
Charles
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Charles wrote:

not drill for oil or own any equipment to do anything about it. Funny
how some are all for private enterprise and no government until
something like this happens. Sounds like you are another Rush smuck.

Not really. The thought is that they shouldn't be doing it, but the
government took on the responsibility for regulation, etc., then they
should do the job. Sounds like you want the regulation, etc., bit but
then when something happens the government all of a sudden has no
responsibility.

First you say nothing is foolproof which is true but then you want to
question if it were an accident and blame the government. The truth is
all the government oversight agencies were reduced to oil company
lackeys with no power by the Bush administration but the ultimate
responsibility belongs to oil companies who greedily drill for oil in
the deep ocean.

Of course they did.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist