Info on Mariner of the Seas cruise

Old December 7th, 2011, 03:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected][_1_]

Default Info on Mariner of the Seas cruise

Hey all

I am doing some research for a friend that is taking a cruise on
Mariner of the Seas out of Galveston. She of course would fly into
Houston. Just wondering if she flies in on the day of, how early
should she arrive. I would fly in a day in advance, but I am not sure
what she will want to do. Also wonder about her flight home. In
addition is this a case where she should use the cruise line's
transportation or are there better options at a better price.

Thanks
Michael
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:30 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected][_1_]

On Dec 6, 7:24*pm, " wrote:
Hey all

I am doing some research for a friend that is taking a cruise on
Mariner of the Seas out of Galveston. She of course would fly into
Houston. Just wondering if she flies in on the day of, how early
should she arrive. I would fly in a day in advance, but I am not sure
what she will want to do. Also wonder about her flight home. In
addition is this a case where she should use the cruise line's
transportation or are there better options at a better price.

Thanks
Michael

One more question. Does she need a Passport book or can she she use
the Passport card? Most likely will never use it again.

Thanks again
Michael
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 12/6/2011 8:24 PM, wrote:
Hey all

I am doing some research for a friend that is taking a cruise on
Mariner of the Seas out of Galveston. She of course would fly into
Houston. Just wondering if she flies in on the day of, how early
should she arrive. I would fly in a day in advance, but I am not sure
what she will want to do. Also wonder about her flight home. In
addition is this a case where she should use the cruise line's
transportation or are there better options at a better price.

Thanks
Michael

Michael,

I have cruised out of Galveston many times on the previous Royal
Caribbean ship, Voyager of the Seas. Mariner has taken Voyager's place
this year.

Is your friend flying to Hobby or Houston International? Hobby is
closer. Houston International is about an hour and 40 minutes from the
cruise terminal. Hobby is about an hour. You can contract with
Galveston Limousine Service or one of the several shuttle companies.
Renting a car is not an option as the rental places are not open on
Sunday, the day the cruise sails.

I have heard several stories of luggage getting lost when people use the
cruise line's transfer bus so if your friend does decide to take it,
have her watch to see that her luggage gets put in the bus and stand
there and make sure it gets taken off the bus, too.

I would recommend flying in a day early and staying in one of the motels
in Galveston. It's easy to get a cab to the cruise terminal and some of
the pricier hotels even have shuttles.

Houston has strange weather and if an unexpected cold front (a/k/a Blue
Norther) blows through, there can be icy conditions restricting flights
and possibly closing roadways.

We live about 7 hours from the Galveston terminal. We check the weather
reports and we will drive up the same day if there is no bad weather
expected, but if we are uncertain, we'll spend the night in Galveston.
That's the only time we'll ever *not* get in to the port a day ahead of
time.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas