Dress code for Florence opera?

Old April 24th, 2005, 11:35 AM
george

nitram wrote:
Was he sitting with his boots up on of edge of the presidential box,
munching popcorn, whilst spraying Cola all over the place and singing
along to the music

No, he appeared to be mainly reading the French subtitles for this
French opera. Maybe he has impaired hearing.

George

Old April 24th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Icono Clast

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
(Some of us deplore the fact - "dressing-up" used to make an
occasion special - but the world has changed, alas.)

If you ever see a tape of the Saturday night's general dancing at a
Swing Dance convention and you see a guy in Black Tie, that's
probably me! It is extremely rare that I'm not the only one including
the host and/or Master of Ceremonies.

The girls love it and tell me so at the time and the next day. If
other guys knew what I know, they might shed their denims for a
night. I have never worn denims to dance but they're the most common
trousers for all genders.

PTravel said:
My personal take: dressing up a bit shows respect for the
performers and the rest of the audience.

Indeed.
A San Franciscan who never says "No!" to an invitation to dance!
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ - http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 --- IClast at SFbay Net

Please NOTE DATES of POSTS:
Icono Clast Sep 17 1999, 12:00 am
Newsgroups: ba.food
From: Icono Clast
Subject: Years ahead?!?

Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
Peter L wrote:
Here [in the Santa Clara Valley] people dress down to go to work.
what a strange world.

Yeah, ain't it great to be years ahead of the rest of the universe?

Is it?
A few years ago I was sent to a particular law firm by an
insurance company. It was in one of the many high-rent buildings
where one would expect to find high-price attorneys.
As I was shown through the offices, being introduced to
people and seeing into occupied offices, I was shocked at the
appearance of the personnel.
When I returned home I called the insurance company to
enquire whether it really wanted me to be represented by such an
unprofessional looking group of people.
The insurance company explained to me something about a
dress-down day that I didn't, and don't, quite understand. If you're
a professional who meets the public you should look like a
professional who meets the public and not like the guy with his hand
out at the door to your building.

I've spent most of my working life in the inner-workings of my
employers' facilities. Because it's rarely been part of my job to
meet the public, I've not had to give any consideration to my
work-dress. When I was a bicycle messenger, however, going into all
kinds of offices where there were elegant men, beautiful women,
objects d'art, exquisite furniture, and clean and attractive
buildings and facilities, I dressed rather well and maintained as
high a degree of grooming as was possible while riding a bicycle in
the windy canyons of Montgomery and California and Sansome and
Battery and Pine, etc., streets.
When an office worker myself, I always wore a necktie or
ascot and other garments appropriate to them. (I had to stop
polishing my nails because the diazo process turned the polish a
lovely shade of pale blue.) To not do so was unthinkable. Not all
change is good.
--
ICONO CLAST: A San Franciscan in 47.335² mile San Francisco.

Date: 05-20-95 (03:22) From: ICONO CLAST To: DREW SHELL
Subj: Carnelian Room [AN ELEGANT RESTAURANT WITH BAD FOOD]
TO}dress

IC Business wear is fine.

Drew Shell:
DS}Different people have different opinions on this, so what do
}YOU mean by business wear?

Look at a bank or insurance or sales or office clerk where people
deal with the public.

DS}jacket and tie are required. Is this really true?

I don't know. That's how I normally dress when I go out to dinner.

DS}What about a tie with no jacket?

Were I in charge, I'd not let you in. I think it's ridiculous to wear
a tie without a jacket beyond the confines of one's home or office.

DS}Are they at all flexible about this?

I don't know. They shouldn't be. I hope they're not. This is San
Francisco, not Daly City or Los Angeles!

DS}I'd love to go there, but even when I get really dressed up (dress
}shoes and pants, fancy shirt and socks, suspenders, stylish tie,
}etc) I don't wear a jacket, and I don't want to deal with hassle
}of getting all the way up there and getting turned away.

Well, maybe it's time you learn to dress like a man who's at leisure,
not at work.
Customers are as much a part of, and just as important to, the
atmosphere in a restaurant as the décor, service, and food. Do your
part for me just as I do mine for you. I'll be damned if I want to
see how you keep your pants up while I'm having dinner (or any other
time, come t'think of it).

Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 03:21:57 Newsgroups: ba.food
Subject: The Blue Plate . . .
.. . . The service was friendly, unobtrusive, and competent with
everyone knowing everything about everything on the menu. That's as
it oughtta be but seldom is. I was not happy, however, with how they
were dressed and groomed. No, they weren't repulsive or anything but
a place with these prices should have a better-appearing staff. The
clientèle aren't likely to notice, though, 'cause most of them were
jacketless and wearing denim, open collars, shorts, and/or canvas
shoes. Good gawd: This ain't Malibu!
The bare-headed kitchen staff were uniform'd as one expects.
Old April 24th, 2005, 12:45 PM
JohnT

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

I've attended the opera in shorts and hiking boots.

Why does that not surprise me.

JohnT

Old April 24th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Mxsmanic

george writes:

I think I saw you in late May, 2001 at the Bastille opera house in
Paris during a performance of Gounod's Faust. You were sitting too far
away for me to cause an incident.

I've never seen Faust, but I'm probably not the only person in Paris who
wears hiking shorts and boots, even to the opera.

Some people come to the opera to see the show; other people come to the
opera to see each other. I'm in the first category.

Old April 24th, 2005, 02:09 PM
tim \(moved to sweden\)

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message
news

My personal take: dressing up a bit shows respect for the performers

Hasn't my money already done this?

tim

Old April 24th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Mxsmanic

tim (moved to sweden) writes:

Hasn't my money already done this?

Exactly.

Old April 24th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Mxsmanic

nitram writes:

Some go to see you too, apparently.

They have no way of knowing when or if I will be there.

Old April 24th, 2005, 04:27 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

PTRAVEL wrote:

[]
My personal take: dressing up a bit shows respect for the performers and the
rest of the audience. Notwithstanding, though it's true that suits, jackets
and ties are not required, neither is it appropriate to show up in a
tee-shirt and jeans (or, god forbid, sandals and shorts). The former will
never attract unwanted attention at the opera; the latter always will.

As someone who does perform from time to time, I really don't think it
makes much difference, and most performers would agree I think. What
does annoy performer and listener alike a _lot_ more is unnecessary
coughing and noise through concerts. Much more irritating than what
someone is wearing. With opera in particular, the lights on stage make
it very difficult to even _see_ the audience, never mind what they are
wearing. If an audience member is offended by someone else's dress, then
I suggest they worry too much, and seriously need a new life.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old April 24th, 2005, 06:32 PM
PTRAVEL

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
PTRAVEL writes:

Notwithstanding, though it's true that suits, jackets
and ties are not required, neither is it appropriate to show up in a
tee-shirt and jeans (or, god forbid, sandals and shorts). The former
will
never attract unwanted attention at the opera; the latter always will.

I've attended the opera in shorts and hiking boots without incident.
Some people are interested in the show, rather than the audience.

Some people have respect for the performers and other audience members.