How tough are Zion Hikes?

Old May 9th, 2007, 11:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
jjan

Default How tough are Zion Hikes?

Toller wrote:
"Craig" wrote in message
"Toller" wrote...

I am planning on visiting Zion in late July. Yes, I know it is horribly
hot, but that is when I will be there.
I am thinking of doing either Angel's Landing or Observation Point. I am
a little concerned about the strenuous nature of the them, but more so
about the chains. Can't say I have ever been on a trail with chains
before. Presumably no one falls off them or they wouldn't be open, but
just how dangerous and difficult are they?
Last year I did a 25' traverse across a 10" wide ledge with a 50' drop
off; I didn't much enjoy it and wouldn't want to face anything like that
again.
PS: from a web search:

In August 2006, a 29 year old Las Vegas woman fell 1,000 feet to her death
from near the top of the trail, the 5th fatality here since 1983.

Pix: http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...m2/index10.htm

Oh my God! Thanks for the link, it looks incredible; but I don't know if I
could do that.
I have climbed a 5 pitch 750' climb in Yosemite, but had a rope.

Hi Toller,

I did both Angels Landing and Observation Point. From the point of view
of hight anxiety Observation Point is not exposed, whereas only the last
300' of Angels Landing is (where the chains are). In the pictures it
looks pretty nasty, but in the real world it is not as scary, since
there ale always a lot of fellow hikers to help/assist. The view from
Observation Point is breathtaking too, since you look down on Angels
Landing!

Best regards and enjoy!

Jjan
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Toller

"Caveat" wrote in message
"Toller" wrote:
"Caveat" wrote:
"Toller" wrote:

Sadly, I am rather afraid of heights. Last year I had to have a friend
go
up on my roof and fix a piece of trim cause I couldn't; very
embarressing.
Is there any reason I couldn't wear a climbing harness and loop a rope
over the chain? Safely tied in I become very bold again.

The problem with this idea is that there are vertical posts along the
chained sections they would require unclips and re-clips, plus
sections with no chains...

A unclip and re-clip would only take a few seconds.

Ah, but during those few seconds (repeated dozens of times) you are
gulp unclipped. As in " If I slip here...."

I recently free climbed a 5.2 so I could set a toprope anchor.

Well then you certainly have the technical skills to do Angel's
Landing. Unless exposure of, say, 1200' seems more "difficult" than,
say, 30 feet. As you (and John Lennon) have observed: "It's all in the
mind." Just remember my favorite climbing maxim: "It's not the
consequence of a fall, but the likelihood of a fall that should
concern you." Not very likely on Angel's Landing.

I let my partner do all the leading because the idea of falling against some
little thing I stuck in a crack is too unnerving. He doesn't understand
what I am talking about. Afterall, the chances of falling on it are near
zero, so what's the issue.
"not very likely on Angel's Landing"

Thanks for your help.

I was quite
ill by the time I got to the top, despite not having fallen on anything
under 5.8 in years.

Probably more people have died from falls under 5.8 than above that
level, my friend. It is related to skill and experience.

And BTW you have no idea just how embarrassing it would be to do this
non-technical route with technical climbing gear, while dozens of kids
and geezers scamper around you -- pointing at you and snickering.

Oh yes I do! As I crawled up the pyramid at Uxmal, little kids played tag
on it.

All those Mayan temples are steep. Chichen Itza's main temple climb
isn't a place you would want to fall, either. But, for me, it was a
lot less intimidating than the claustrophobic crawl up the Caracol
tunnel at that park.

Caveat

Old May 9th, 2007, 03:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Toller

"jjan" wrote in message
Toller wrote:
"Craig" wrote in message
[...]

The pictures do look nasty, thanks.
Ignoring exposure, which is the better hike? The canyon on Observation
Point looked pretty cool, but it is a longer more difficult hike.

Old May 14th, 2007, 07:35 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Zebra24601

On May 9, 7:43 am, "Toller" wrote:
"jjan" wrote in message

Toller wrote:
"Craig" wrote in message
[...]

Point looked pretty cool, but it is a longer more difficult hike.- Hide quoted text -

As noted above, Angel's Landing looks scarier in photos than it is in
real life. The chains are a reassurance, but even if there were no
chains, I would not consider it a particularly dangerous hike.

I think it might sort of be like comparing Yosemite's Half Dome and
Cloud's Rest hikes. Half Dome has the chains and it's undoubtedly
steeper, more popular, etc. But from Cloud's Rest, you get to look
down on Half Dome. Same with Angel's Landing v. Observation Point.

Old January 1st, 2013, 05:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dan Stephenson

On 2007-05-08 19:19:54 -0500, Craig said:

"Toller" wrote...

I am planning on visiting Zion in late July. Yes, I know it is
horribly hot, but that is when I will be there.
I am thinking of doing either Angel's Landing or Observation Point. I
am a little concerned about the strenuous nature of the them, but more
so about the chains. Can't say I have ever been on a trail with chains
before. Presumably no one falls off them or they wouldn't be open, but
just how dangerous and difficult are they?
Last year I did a 25' traverse across a 10" wide ledge with a 50' drop
off; I didn't much enjoy it and wouldn't want to face anything like
that again.

I was over 50 and was (and am) a mid-level or lower speed and not any
sort of an endurance hiker when I went to Zion with instructions to
hike Angels Landing as long as I wasn't afraid of height. Take your
time and the length and vertical gain of the hike shouldn't be an
issue. Without doubt, it was the most memorable hike I've done.

I have never done a hike with chain assistance, either, but it wasn't
an issue for me. I've forgotten the vertical drop from the chain area
and Landing but it is a BIG drop. I'm pretty sure that there were a few
areas where you can look Down both sides of the ridge but it's not like
a 10" wide ledge that you have no wish to do again. It does get a bit
more interesting when you meet someone going the other way on the
chains--there are places to safely pass each other. But look at the
bright side--unlike some Zion hikes, you have no chance of a flash
flood sweeping you to your death on Angels Landing. Ah, from a map, it
looks like you may be able to look straight down a good 800-1200' or
so...as I said, the most memorable hike I've done.

Let us know what you decide, either now or after returning from the
trip. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Craig

PS: from a web search:

In August 2006, a 29 year old Las Vegas woman fell 1,000 feet to her
death from near the top of the trail, the 5th fatality here since 1983.

Pix: http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...m2/index10.htm

About what time ranges does it typically take to complete this hike?
Those are stunning photos. Thanks!

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com

Old March 12th, 2013, 05:11 PM
mariajames mariajames is offline
Member

Location: London

I advance allurement the Park Service about something so specific. I could alone assumption what their assessment..