Sights to See/Things to Do in Galveston

Old March 10th, 2006, 05:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Sights to See/Things to Do in Galveston

A friend of mine will be cruising out of Galveston. She has a whole day to
kill and asked me about cool places to see and things to do while there.
I'm really not familiar with Galveston even tho I live in Texas but I told
her I knew who to ask
Thanks,
Monica

Old March 10th, 2006, 04:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Hi:

I would suggest she take the tram tour. That gives a good overview of
the city. There are houses that can be toured--Bishop's Palace and
Ashton Villa. The Strand has lots of neat little shops and restaurants.
There is plenty to keep one busy for a day. There are also the
Railroad Museum.

Tucker in Texas

Old March 11th, 2006, 12:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Monica" wrote in message

A friend of mine will be cruising out of Galveston. She has a whole day
to kill and asked me about cool places to see and things to do while
there. I'm really not familiar with Galveston even tho I live in Texas but
I told her I knew who to ask
Thanks,
Monica

Well, depends on what she likes to do...

1. Shop on Strand. http://www.thestrand.com

2. If she is there overnight, or at least in the evening, take the carriage
ride in the Strand area. It is a very nice ride and isn't near as expensive
as carriage rides in other cities, at least not last time that we did it. I
think that it was about $20 for my wife, son and I.

3. Depending on her budget, eat at either Gaido's or Casey's for some really
good seafood. This topic was cover recently in this group.
http://www.galveston.com/gaidos/restaraunts.html

4. Never been here, but on my next trip, I want to check out the Kemah
Boardwalk. I have heard that it is really cool. It's about 30 minutes or so
out of Galveston near NASA. http://www.kemahboardwalk.com

5. Spend some time at Moody Gardens. The price can add up if you don't buy a
day pass, but it is a really cool place. Has a 3-D & a 4-D Imax theater, a
tropical rain forest, aquarium, paddleboat cruise, etc...
http://www.moodygardens.com

6. The Duck Tour is pretty cool, although this may not be her bag of tea. It
is an amphibious vehicle that gives a tour of the city then drives off into
the bay...

7. Tour some very nice Victorian homes.
http://www.galveston.com/historichomes

Check out http://galveston.com

Hope this helps...

Chuck

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0610-2, 03/10/2006
Tested on: 3/10/2006 5:11:57 PM

Old March 11th, 2006, 05:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

When is she coming? Would she like nothing but a day of fun and games??! We
are all waiting for the Galveston version of the Schlitterbahn to open. The
original over in the Hill Country is a Texas institution & a fabulously fun
waterpark. http://www.schlitterbahn.com/default.htm

Diana Ball
near Houston, TX

Old March 11th, 2006, 05:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Monica wrote:

A friend of mine will be cruising out of Galveston. She has a whole day to
kill and asked me about cool places to see and things to do while there.
I'm really not familiar with Galveston even tho I live in Texas but I told
her I knew who to ask
Thanks,
Monica

All you people with advise about Galveston, you need to remember the age
of the person visiting.
And whether or not they will have ground transportation to take them all
over tore nation.

Most people eho visit Galveston for a cruise don't a car available to him.

Keep cheap and simple.

Old March 11th, 2006, 06:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote in message
Monica wrote:

A friend of mine will be cruising out of Galveston. She has a whole day to
kill and asked me about cool places to see and things to do while there.
I'm really not familiar with Galveston even tho I live in Texas but I told
her I knew who to ask
Thanks,
Monica

All you people with advise about Galveston, you need to remember the age of
the person visiting.
And whether or not they will have ground transportation to take them all
over tore nation.

Most people eho visit Galveston for a cruise don't a car available to him.

Keep cheap and simple.

Ummm... Maybe you need to take another look at my suggestions for things to
do in Galveston.

Everything that I suggested is accesiable via the trolley for $1, other than
the Kemah Boardwalk. If transportation is a problem, I wouldn't advise
considering the boardwalk.

I think that I took age into consideration also. Never mentioned about
seawolf park and touring the submarine or going to Stewart beach and getting
plastered now did I?

I haven't seen the stats on this so I could be wrong, but I would be willing
to bet that a very large number of people that are cruising out of Galveston
drive there instead of flying in to Houston.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0610-2, 03/10/2006
Tested on: 3/10/2006 11:05:51 PM