renting a car in Ireland?

Old October 18th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Georg Schwarz

Default renting a car in Ireland?

IŽd be interested about any experiences with renting a car in Ireland.
My impression is that prices quotes on the German web sites of German
rental companies are quite lower than those on Irish or US sites (if
anybody can recommend a good web site for car rental booking, please let
me know; same goes for any useful promotion codes etc).
Is there anything particular one should avoid doing wrong when renting a
car in Ireland?
Are there typically different on- and off-season prices? Is it typically
substantially cheaper to book several months in advance?
Does a credit card which includes special insurance services represent a
advantage in practice?
--
Georg Schwarz http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
+49 177 8811442
Old October 18th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Alec

"Georg Schwarz" wrote in message
IŽd be interested about any experiences with renting a car in Ireland.
My impression is that prices quotes on the German web sites of German
rental companies are quite lower than those on Irish or US sites (if
anybody can recommend a good web site for car rental booking, please let
me know; same goes for any useful promotion codes etc).
Is there anything particular one should avoid doing wrong when renting a
car in Ireland?
Are there typically different on- and off-season prices? Is it typically
substantially cheaper to book several months in advance?
Does a credit card which includes special insurance services represent a
advantage in practice?

Car hire in Ireland is quite expensive, mainly due to high insurance
charges. I think you cannot use CDW cover offered by (US) credit cards in
Ireland, and have to buy insurance offered by the rental company. It's
normally cheaper to book in advance through consolidators like
www.autoeurope.com or www.holidayautos.co.uk. Among local companies,
www.dandooley.com has a good reputation. Always check the level of cover
offered, and any excess/deductible in case of damage to rental car. If
thinking of driving into Northern Ireland, check with the rental company as
some prohibit or charge extra. One-way rental between the Republic and the
North is very expensive, and is best avoided.

Alec

Old October 18th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Karen Walker

"Georg Schwarz" wrote in message
IŽd be interested about any experiences with renting a car in Ireland.
My impression is that prices quotes on the German web sites of German
rental companies are quite lower than those on Irish or US sites (if
anybody can recommend a good web site for car rental booking, please let
me know; same goes for any useful promotion codes etc).
Is there anything particular one should avoid doing wrong when renting a
car in Ireland?
Are there typically different on- and off-season prices? Is it typically
substantially cheaper to book several months in advance?
Does a credit card which includes special insurance services represent a
advantage in practice?
--
Georg Schwarz http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
+49 177 8811442

We rented a car in Ireland in late April 2003, and Hertz was by far the best
deal -- around $200 for 2 weeks, including taxes. Hertz also had an office
just a few blocks from our Dublin hotel, so the pickup was very convenient.
One tip on credit-card use: If you have a MasterCard, use it to book and
pay. For some reason, Visa does not offer the CDW coverage for Ireland, but
MasterCard does.

============
Karen Walker, Champaign IL
www.prairienet.org/bridge

Old October 19th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Georg Schwarz

"Karen Walker" writes:

One tip on credit-card use: If you have a MasterCard, use it to book and
pay. For some reason, Visa does not offer the CDW coverage for Ireland, but
MasterCard does.

this should depend on the precise MC or Visa card of yours. Not all MC or
Visa are the same.
Old October 19th, 2003, 01:07 AM
Karen Walker

"Karen Walker" writes:

One tip on credit-card use: If you have a MasterCard, use it to book and
pay. For some reason, Visa does not offer the CDW coverage for Ireland,

but
MasterCard does.

this should depend on the precise MC or Visa card of yours. Not all MC or
Visa are the same.

According to the rental offices in Ireland, this benefit/exclusion applies
to any U.S.-issued Gold Visa or Gold Mastercard. I was told by several
different companies that they would waive the CDW if I used any
Gold/Platinum MasterCard from any U.S. bank.

And I just noticed I made a typo in my previous note about the rental rate
from Hertz. The rate was just under $300 USD (not $200) for two weeks.

Old October 19th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Allan

I've been to Ireland three times since 1998 and rented cars from various
companies. I always get the same warning - my gold card (Visa and
Amex) will not provide the CDW coverage.

This is contrary to the information I got (in writing) from the credit
card companies themselves. I wonder if this is honest ignorance on the
part of the car rental places or a tactic to make renters by the CDW waiver?

Old October 19th, 2003, 11:34 PM
Georg Schwarz

"Karen Walker" writes:

According to the rental offices in Ireland, this benefit/exclusion applies
to any U.S.-issued Gold Visa or Gold Mastercard. I was told by several
different companies that they would waive the CDW if I used any
Gold/Platinum MasterCard from any U.S. bank.

why do they specifically mention U.S. bank? What about such cards issued
by a European bank?
Old October 20th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Alec

"Karen Walker" writes:

According to the rental offices in Ireland, this benefit/exclusion

applies
to any U.S.-issued Gold Visa or Gold Mastercard. I was told by several
different companies that they would waive the CDW if I used any
Gold/Platinum MasterCard from any U.S. bank.

why do they specifically mention U.S. bank? What about such cards issued
by a European bank?

Because this is a special benefit offered only by US card issuers. I've
never come across a gold/platinum card from a European issuer that has CDW
coverage.

Alec

Old October 20th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Hans-Ulrich Steingrobe

Hi Georg,

Is there anything particular one should avoid doing wrong when renting =

car in Ireland?

Yes, you should not rent a car bigger than the smallest; we had a Fiesta
(2 persons) there and that was great - for two reasons:
- there is left hand drive and it is good not to have so much car left
of you if you are not use to it
- more important: Irish roads can be VERY narrow

Driving in Ireland is very pleasant because it is quite relaxed,
compared to Germany

(sorry for answering in English but I want the others to understand)

HTH
Ulli

-- =

Hans-Ulrich Steingrobe Die menschliche Schw=E4che,
Fahrzeuge mit gef=E4hrlichen Geschwindigkeiten
zu benutzen, werde ich nie verstehen.
(Data zu Picard, Star Trek Nemesis)
Old October 20th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Georg Schwarz

"Alec" writes:

why do they specifically mention U.S. bank? What about such cards issued
by a European bank?

Because this is a special benefit offered only by US card issuers. I've
never come across a gold/platinum card from a European issuer that has CDW
coverage.

Lufthansa Visa Gold and the equivalent Frequent Traveller Visa have (you
need a German bank account for that card, and it is issued by a German
bank).
There are a few other MC or Visa Gold cards issued by German banks that
offer such a feature. If you speak German, you can search the following
database for them:
http://finanzen.focus.de/D/DA/DAC/DA...edit_frame.htm