Genoa ship to train transfer

Old March 8th, 2006, 02:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe

Default Genoa ship to train transfer

We will be arriving Genoa via cruise ship at 10 AM (on 3 April). We
want to get to Munich by rail, arriving by late evening. Good
connections exist via Milan. But we do have questions:

1) How long is normal debarkation/customs delay, and how far from
cruise ship dock to RR station--in other words, when can we reasonably
expect to get to the station?

2) Trains are marked either IC or EC. Will we be able to get tickets
upon arrival at station, or is advance reservation required?

3) Any other words of wisdom will be appreciated.
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, BobT wrote:

1) How long is normal debarkation/customs delay, and how far from

I have no idea. Where does your ship come from (Schengen countries ?) ?

cruise ship dock to RR station--in other words, when can we reasonably
expect to get to the station?

I have no idea where will be the pier you arrive. The harbour of Genova
is quite large ... the old harbour ("porto vevvhio") is relatively close
(500 m) to one of the two main rail stations of Genova, but I'm not at
all sure it is currently in use. Maybe you should first inquire about
the pier, and then try to get a map of the harbour ("porto di Genova" in
italian)

2) Trains are marked either IC or EC. Will we be able to get tickets
upon arrival at station, or is advance reservation required?

If you use this rail planner
http://home.arcor.de/e.lauterbach/au...fplanx-en.html it will tell
you (with a note "RP") whether compulsory reservation is required.

The fact that compulsory reservation is required does not mean it has to
be done in advance. Just go to the ticket counter and ask for the next
train (or the train you want). Even better have YOUR choice of trains
printed and eventually apply to a travel agent (there are usually a few
inside or near the station, and they are more clever to cater for "odd"
itineraries. Reservation will be included in the ticket

As a rule ES (none on Genova-Milano) and most EC are compulsory
reservation, IC are not (reservation possible, at extra fee, not worth),
IR are not (reservation NOT possible). Unfortunately the new IC-plus are
compulsory reservation, and I guess most Genova-Milano will be IC-plus.

3) Any other words of wisdom will be appreciated.

There are two main rail stations, Genova Brignole and Genova Piazza
Principe (PP). Some trains depart from the former and stop in the latter
to go to Milan. Others form or stop in Genova PP.

Genova PP is very close to the centre of Genova and the old harbour.
Genova Brignole is in the east, most new harbour installations should be
in the west.

Munich in italian is called "Monaco di Baviera". Don't forget "di
Baviera", or you will get a train ticket to Montecarlo !

If you have strong preferences on choice of trains, as I said have them
printed and apply to a travel agent, or anyhow insist. The computer
program at stations sometimes makes "funny" choices.

I'm off tomorrow from Milan to a place west of Genova and just bought my
tickets this morning. I will be trying one of the new IC plus which have
replaced the cheaper IR since the dreaded timetable change at the end of
last year. The ICs do not stop at the place I'm going (which has a
little station), and this business of the compulsory reservation (i.e.
choice of train) is a pain in the neck. I had chosen my own route
(Milan-Alassio by ICplus and Alassio-Laigueglia with a regional train
with some 20 min wait), but the computer won't accept it (it suggested
change in Savona ... probably a combined fare, slightly cheaper since
the regional train starts from there). Except that, in case of delays, I
would have been stranded at an hour or so from my destination. With my
choice instead I am one stop off, and could always take a bus or taxi.

I asked for "overriding" the computer, so I got 4 tickets (we are two
people), two IC-plus ones and two 1-euro ones for the last stop) !

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe

"BobT" wrote in message

We will be arriving Genoa via cruise ship at 10 AM (on 3 April). We
want to get to Munich by rail, arriving by late evening. Good
connections exist via Milan. But we do have questions:

1) How long is normal debarkation/customs delay, and how far from
cruise ship dock to RR station--in other words, when can we reasonably
expect to get to the station?

2) Trains are marked either IC or EC. Will we be able to get tickets
upon arrival at station, or is advance reservation required?

3) Any other words of wisdom will be appreciated.

Sorry, no idea on time getting off the ship or where in Genoa cruise ships
dock.

Genova Piazza Principe to Munich (change in Milan and Verona) leaves at
11:19 and arrives Munich at 8:26 pm. Trains (same connections and same time
in transit) leave Genoa at 9:19 and 1:19 pm. I doubt you will be able to
make the 11:19 train if the ship really does not dock until 10 AM.

The first two legs of the journey (Genoa-Milan and Milan-Verona) are
compulsory reservations. The last leg does not require reservations, but it
is possible to make them. You can get the reservations at the time of
booking.

I don't know where the cruise stops prior to Genoa or where it starts, but
you can get the tickets AND the reservations at any Italian train station or
any Italian travel agent with a "FS" decal in their window. You can also get
them at most train stations and travel agents elsewhere in Europe. Since the
lines at trains stations can be long and slow moving (usually there is a
separate line for International at the larger stations), I would advice you
to get the tickets/reservations in advance. I always get them at travel
agencies since it is faster -- also, you are quite likely to simply walk
past a TA along the way on one of your stops.

Paul

Old March 8th, 2006, 06:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 17:01:30 +0100, Giovanni Drogo
wrote:

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, BobT wrote:

cruise ship dock to RR station--in other words, when can we reasonably
expect to get to the station?

I have no idea where will be the pier you arrive. The harbour of Genova
is quite large ... the old harbour ("porto vevvhio") is relatively close

Typo of course, but that's "porto vecchio" - the old port.

(500 m) to one of the two main rail stations of Genova, but I'm not at
all sure it is currently in use. Maybe you should first inquire about
the pier, and then try to get a map of the harbour ("porto di Genova" in
italian)

Most of the passenger boats arrive near to Principe. You need to cross
the busy road, and follow the signs point to FS. 500m is about right,
and there shouldn't be too many steps, if any. Don't enter the station
via the "sottoterranea" entrance, or you will encounter lots of steps.
Go to the main entrance instead.

3) Any other words of wisdom will be appreciated.

There are two main rail stations, Genova Brignole and Genova Piazza
Principe (PP). Some trains depart from the former and stop in the latter
to go to Milan. Others form or stop in Genova PP.

Genova PP is very close to the centre of Genova and the old harbour.
Genova Brignole is in the east, most new harbour installations should be
in the west.

All trains from Genova to Milan stop at Genova Principe. You don't
want to even consider going to Brignole! It's hard to get to unless
you know the buses, and there is no reason to go there.

Munich in italian is called "Monaco di Baviera". Don't forget "di
Baviera", or you will get a train ticket to Montecarlo !

Very important! From experience, the ticket sales people know a little
English, and there is also a good tourist info office in the station
where fluent everything is spoken by a German lady. If in doubt, she
can be very helpful.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old March 9th, 2006, 03:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe

wrote:

I have no idea. Where does your ship come from (Schengen countries ?) ?

Thanks to all who replied. Several asked questions.

Ship originates Genoa, calls at Egypt, Malta, Libya, then back to
Genoa. Departure dock is Maritime Station, Ponte A. Doria and Ponte C
Colombo, I expect, but don't know for sure, the arrival will also be
at this terminal.

Looking at a map, this appears to be quite close to the Genova PP
station, for where the train departs, but too far to walk lugging a
couple of heavy cases.

Further insights welcome. Thanks again.

Old March 9th, 2006, 06:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.europe

wrote:

I have no idea. Where does your ship come from (Schengen countries ?) ?

Thanks to all who replied. Several asked questions.

Ship originates Genoa, calls at Egypt, Malta, Libya, then back to
Genoa. Departure dock is Maritime Station, Ponte A. Doria and Ponte C
Colombo, I expect, but don't know for sure, the arrival will also be
at this terminal.

Looking at a map, this appears to be quite close to the Genova PP
station, for where the train departs, but too far to walk lugging a
couple of heavy cases.

OK, I know exactly where you are going. Maritime Station is actually
"Stazione Maritima". You wont have much choice but to walk there. It's
a beige coloured building, and to get to the station you walk under a
raised road called the sopraelevata, and follow the signs.
--
---